Home

Doctor Who spinoff 'Torchwood' starts next year

MJ

In a stunning announcement on Monday (including a BBC press release), BBC Television announced a new television series spun off from "Doctor Who" to be aired next year on BBC Three. Torchwood, a thirteen-part drama/sci-fi hybrid, will be executive produced by Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner -- the executive producers of Doctor Who currently -- and will star John Barrowman, who reprises his role as Captain Jack Harkness from the first Doctor Who series earlier this year. Said to have an "organic link" to Doctor Who, Davies says that "Torchwood is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humour. It's dark, wild and sexy, it's the X Files meets This Life. It's a stand-alone series for adult audiences which will have its own unique identity. I have just begun working on the scripts with a team of writers and cannot wait to see the results."

I know that many of us are Doctor Who fans (and those of us who aren't, should be) so what do you guys think of this? As much as I love the revival, I think that this might lead to oversaturation of Doctor Who...

But...but.... your name is Davros the DALEK!

Hee, yeah, seriously Davros, what's up with that? Get down to your local DVD emperium and rent anything with "Dalek" in the title IMMEDIATELY! But not the movies with Peter Cushing in, they were terrible.

If Genesis of the Daleks ever makes it to DVD, you must buy several copies and covet them daily. It's the only story where Davros was actually menacing scary.

Anyway, I think Torchwood is great news! I had always hoped that the success of Doctor Who would spawn a resurgence of science fiction - particularly home-grown science fiction, something that hasn't really been 'in' since the mid-80s, apart from a few short (and generally bad) one-off serials - and it seems I'm not going to be disappointed!

More importantly MJ, it sounds from the description as though it will be pitched squarely at 'adults', in other words it is categorically not in direct competition with Doctor Who itself. I imagine it will be aimed at 'people like us' who have grown up with Doctor Who (or at least its legacy) and now want something a little more meaty, and as El Davies says, even 'sexy'. If the end result is something a little more mature than Star Trek Voyager, I don't see how it can be a bad thing!

I do understand where you're coming from with your concerns, MJ, but luckily I think they're misplaced!

I wrote this post earlier but Internet Exploder, er, exploded. I'm sure my points came across better the first time, but there you go. Fingers crossed this time!

I was goin to agree with MJ, but then I got swayed by The Huzter's argument. Now I don't know what to think! I guess I'll just wait and see... the thing is, I love Captain Jack and Russel T Davies and spin-offs, so it should be great, as long as it's different enough from Doctor Who.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived