Home

Tales of the third age

Halfway through the song, Tanos began singing along softly with a small smile on his face, as though he was remembering something. When it was finished, he fell again into his silence and though Ever wanted to ask a few questions, he saw by the look on Tanos' face that no questions would be welcome. So he kept his mouth wisely shut.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the travel continued until Ilenal stopped almost half a day later next to Weathertop. He looked at the crippled watchtower of Amon Sul and shook his head. "We shall rest there tonight" he said and unmounted, gathering his equipment from the side of his saddle and placing the quickly wrapped bag onto his shoulder before whispering to his horse something. The horse gallopped away freely. The elven hand drew his hood back and he started the climb up to the watchtower, taking a glance of how the others were doing on his way

"I can't get Banton up there!" Ever protested. Tanos nodded slowly.

"Perhaps you shouldn't have brought him," he suggested. Ever snorted.

"If I hadn't, I'd have slowed us down more than I already did," he pointed out. Tanos shrugged.

"You might try letting him run free," he said. Ever made a face.

"He'll never come back," he protested. Tanos looked the pony in the face.

"You'd come back with a whistle, wouldn't you Banton?" he said. The pony dipped its head as if nodding. Tanos grinned. "There, see? He'll come back."

Ever grumbled, but still let Banton go free. Then, he followed Tanos up toward the top of Weathertop.

As they got to the top, Ilenal gathered up some wood left there by the wind or other travellers and piled them into a small campfire. His stuff was near him and he had made himself a sleeping place there. He was quiet and only moved to take out his pipe, fill it with Leaf and then light it up after placing the pipe on his lips. He waited for something... His eyes followed the hobbit every now and then of when he was going to bed. He waited...

Ever went to bed immediately, but Tanos did not appear to be sleepy at all. He sat with his back against a nearby rock and stared at the fire Ilenal had made. After several long minutes of silence, he began to hum a tune. As he went on, he started singing quietly in the language of Rohan.

He closed the lid of his pipe and put it into his bag hanging on his belt, then stood up quietly. "Elrond half-elven indeed was a captain in Gil-Galad's armies of old, but the treatury of men runs deep with him" the elf said and looked at Tanos. After a while of quiet, he spoke again. "I am Ilenal Eieliel, son of Filiel Silverbow. A ranger of sorts, but used to be a captain, like Elrond half-elven, in the armies of the late Gil-Galad" Ilenal said and walked to the edge, only to look down at the ground, a thick fog on the ground-level. The tall elven man glanced at the hobbit before back at Tanos. "My horse is called Urdug the fast and my sword is Rakhâs-udrig" he finally finished and had revealed more than he usually did to anyone, especially a human

"An honor to meet you," Tanos said. "I am Tanos. I hold no family name. I am also a ranger of sorts. My companion is Everton Took, more frequently called Ever. His pony is Banton. My sword is called Anger in the Common Tongue."

He went to stand next to Ilenal, looking out over the fog. "I was born in Rohan, but by sixteen, I was interested in the rest of the world. Instead of joining the Rohirrim as I was expected to, I left Rohan and found my way to Rivendell. I learned the languages of the Elves and went away again. Now, I travel with Ever... nowhere in particular, though now we are headed to Rivendell for a short time of peace in the only place left in the world where peace can be found."

As he listened to this, he switched to elvish and looked down. "The elves grow weak. My friends and family are in Valinor or in the halls of Mandos" he said in elvish and shook his head, drawing his hood back. "The orcs and wolves ride freely on these lands and again the armies of elves and men have been drawn back. Mithrandir has been trying to wake the elves of their slumber and get them to fight, but nothing has happened. The family of Fingolfin and Fëanor would not allow this" he continued to speak in elvish before he raised his look towards the horizon as the wolves howled in the distance. Wolfriders were near...

Name: Caer Ban

Race: Human

Appearance: Black hair, blue eyes, white skin. Tall and slightly muscular.

Powers: Wit, luck and strength

Weapons: Whip, sword, and bow.

Position: None

Bio: Almost a legend, he is known for wandering the lands, eliminating orcs, trolls, goblins and other scourges and then disappearing for a period of time.

Other: Rarely speaks, is known for somehow having a lot of money to spend.

================

Caer sat in a tree, looking up at Weathertop. Somebody had camped there, which probably meant he'd be seen if he left the tree. He cursed the fact that everyone now camped there. He'd have to stay in the tree all night now.

((Hold yer horses... oh, wait, you let him run free... :p ))

Tanos nodded slowly and responded in the same language. "The armies of Elves and Men will not awaken until it is almost too late. Until then, it is up to people like us to keep them safe."

He continued to stare down into the fog and he frowned. "Danger approaches..." he glanced back to where Ever lay sleeping and shifted back into the Common Tongue. "I will awake him... despite his size, his skills are worth the effort it will take to wake him."

He moved over to Ever and lifted him up, setting him on his feet. Ever muttered something and collapsed into a heap. Then, he jumped up, eyes wide.

"Battle?" he demanded. "That's the only time you ever do that to me!"

"A likely coming fight," Tanos answered. "Listen."

Ever listened and frowned. "I don't hear anyth... oh. Ok, good reason to wake me up then."

Tanos grinned. "Knew you'd see the logic of my actions."

"How far away are they?" Ever wondered. Tanos stared out into the fog.

"Near enough to smell us," he said. "They're announcing a feast... Halfling, Elf, and... two men?" He frowned. "Their senses are sharp enough that they would not be mistaken. But where is the other?"

Caer also heard them, and silently prepared his bow. He looked around. They weren't near him yet. He needed to get to a better position. He put the bow back into his pack, and took out the whip. He'd have to be careful, he still didn't know wether the Halfling, Elf and other man was in the ruins, or in the forest. He quickly used the whip to get to another tree, and repeated, attempting to find a vantage point.

So much for peace and quiet

Ilenal looked back at them. "What do you do in a battle, halfling?" he asked and then turned away, looking further than the human eye could see. It was not looking good, especially if the wolfriders would get to Weathertop before the elf was on his horse.

"Ten riders with bows and the rest fifteen with swords. Can you handle that amount, Tanos?" he asked, continuing the elvish and so speaking common tongue only to the hobbit at the moment. He took his one-hand crossbow and loaded two bolts onto it before putting it back onto his belt and unsheathing his longsword, the blade glowing as light blue even if the original colour was almost black. Ilenal took a sharpening stone and started slowly to sharpen the longsword

Caer finally saw a rider. He was carrying a bow. He took aim and fired, hitting the rider in the chest. As soon as he fell the others were suspicious. He used the whip again to keep moving. He saw another rider, and shot him. He hit the rider in the arm, but the rider still lived. Caer cursed under his breath and moved to another tree again.

"Which number, the ten or the fifteen?" Tanos asked in Elvish with a grin. "But it matters not, I can take either number... or all of them, given proper time and moving area."

Ever grinned. "I'll fight good and hard," he told Ilenal. "I won't say I'm as good as my friend here, but I'm good enough."

"I see movement in the trees," Tanos murmured in Elvish, gesturing vaguely to the area he'd last seen the motion. "The other man, perhaps?"

Ever frowned. "You know, I really don't like it when even a friend of mine speaks in a language I can't understand."

"He'll get over it," Tanos told Ilenal in Elvish. Ever sighed and shook his head.

"Fine, leave me out of your little secrets," he huffed. "See if I care!"

ilenal looked at Ever and grinned. "Well, if you incist on knowing, there are 25 wolf riders heading this way" he said and grinned, sheathing his sword again and looking down. He gave a long, high-pitched whistle. He dropped his hooded cape and his armor shone on the moonlight like it had shone on the battlefields of Mordor so long ago. He jumped down the hill and only a dust cloud rose after him as he speeded down the dark rock. He jumped on the last moment and landed on his horse like a pro, taking the reins and speeding the horse to full speed and right towards the wolf riders

Caer saw the elf riding toward the wolf riders. He wondered wether the guy was stupid, crazy or just suicidal. He decided, nonetheless, to help him out. He quickly shot two bow-riders who were about to plant an arrow through the elf's chest. Then he took down one of the front-most wolf riders who was closest to Ilenal with an arrow to the back of the head.

Tanos and Ever watched Ilenal ride off and Tanos grinned at Ever. Ever stared at him for a moment before beginning to rapidly shake his head.

"Oh, no, no, no!" he exclaimed. "If you think I'm going to try that on Banton, you're an idiot!"

"Would've been fun," Tanos laughed. He pulled out his bow and aimed high. The arrow flew over most of the wolf riders, embedding itself in the rider that trailed the furthest behind.

"I'll agree you got one," Ever said with a frown. "But you seem to have missed the ones that would be the greatest threat at the moment."

"The trailing riders would be the ones best rested," Tanos told him. "They aren't going as fast so they can reserve their energy for the fight."

He shot another one down.

Ever stared at the arrow while Tanos moved and shot again. He glanced at Ever.

"What the hell are you just standing there for?" he demanded. "Get your bow out... you can help too, you know."

"Right," Ever muttered, taking his own bow and beginning to fire.

Archived