Home

Tales of the third age

((If Arathorn has been killed by this point, his son is living in Rivendell under the name 'Estel' and is not known to be Arathorn's son. If Arathorn is still living, the baby is known as Aragorn and is probably not in Rivendell.))

Ever sighed at Ilenal's compliment and when it was repeated in Sindarin, his face twitched, but he showed no other signs of emotion.

Tanos' eyes brightened at the mention of Arathorn and he smiled. "And how is the old fellow these days?"

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((Grr... >_> ))

The elven priestess smiled and looked at Tanos kindly. "He is tired, but in good health. He wants to see you" she said before pulling his hood back on and bidding her goowbye to his brother, which she won't be seeing in thousands of years if luck is on Ilenal's side. The two elves again changed a few words in Quenya, then the wandering elves left again for the Grey Havens. Ilenal stood there, watching in a slight grief. He snapped from his thoughts as his horse pushed him slightly as it walked over to the elven man. Ilenal smiled and wrapped his other hand around the neck of the glorious animal... barely, but still

Tanos smiled and thought of Arathorn. When he was traveling with the Dunedain, he always tried to keep close to Arathorn. They had become friends over the few years that Tanos stayed with the Dunedain. Yes, Tanos would look forward to seeing Arathorn again.

"Are we ready to move out again?" Tanos asked in Common. Ever looked around and Tanos grinned. He let out a sharp whistle and Banton came running.

"Now, we're ready," Ever said.

As they were waiting for Banton to show up, which did not tke long, but long enought because of the steady, but slow pace, Ilenal had gathered his things from the top of weathertop and now his head was covered again by his hood and he nodded at Tanos after mounting his horse.

"Have you ever met Gandalf?" Ilenal asked of Tanos as they were on their way, even if they had no slep on them from the last couple of nights. Ilenal was quite used to this by now. Travelling long distances with urgent matters did not leave time for resting, and sometimes he slept while riding. But still, his face did not reveal his long travels, probably because of the sort of a blessing that the valar and Ilúvatar had given the elven race

"If you want to know him, you must join him to smoke some leaf. He loves quality leaf and gets it straight from northern shire" he said and smiled, looking briefly at Ever. "People say that if you stare into his eyes long enought, you can feel the presence of the valar, but I don't believe that nonsense. I think it is just pure fear for the man" he said and chuckled, remembering good old times. He then shook his head and looked at Tanos. "Have you ever smoked Leaf?" he asked, wondering even himself why the sudden curiosity pushing itself out of his head

Caer soon reached a small inn, and went in through the back door. It was a dark room with a table in the middle.

He collapsed on the table and removed his shirt. There was a nasty cut on his right arm. Soon enough, the innkeeper arrived. He saw Caer.

"Caer! " He exclaimed. "Give some warning to an old man." He approached. "You got hurt."

Caer nodded grimly. "There were some wolfriders. They began to attack a man, an elf, and a halfling."

The innkeeper sighed. "When are you going to give up this vendetta?"

"When I go to my grave." Replied Caer. "Are you going to help me or not? I gave my herbs to the elf. He got shot."

The innkeeper expertly began tending to Caer's wounds.

"And, as always, you refused to stay with them." Said the innkeeper.

"They can take care of themselves." Replied Caer. "And I saw more elves arrive after I left. "

"Ah, Rivendell," Tanos sighed softly as he stared at the mountains. He smiled thoughtfully and turned to Ilenal. "My sister is there, you know. If I look forward to anything other than being among the Elves, it will be to see her again... it's been too long."

"You never told me you had a sister," Ever frowned. Tanos laughed.

"I have a sister," he said.

"You think you know a man!" Ever exclaimed. He sighed. "Then he goes and surprises you..."

"Well, you met my sister below weathertop. I'm afraid that she will be already boarding a grey ship when we go to sleep in Rivendell" he said and looked at his horse's neck silently for a moment. He then looked at Ever and shook his head.

"You stick your nose into too many business. If I didn't know better, which I don't, I would guess that you got kicked out of shire because of your curiosity. Hobbits are very calm and peceful people. They don't like adventurers or nosy people" he said and grinned below his hood as they travelled at a quick pace towards the slowly nearing mountains

Ever said nothing, but his facial expression showed that Ilenal was correct. Tanos sighed.

"Many Elves are leaving," he said in Sindarin. "Still more will leave within the near future. The wisest, ageless; they are all leaving or preparing to leave."

He turned to Ilenal. "Why is it that you are not leaving?"

"It is not a question of why. It is a question of when. I shall leave Middle-Earth when it is time, even if it would be only to the Halls of Mandos" he said, surprisingly in common, as he had seen the hurt face of the hobbit after the elf had hit a nerve. Ilenal's eyes went to Ever and then at Tanos. He was quiet, and did not continue his words after his eyes had returned to the huge mountais, snow exceeding down their tops

The innkeeper finished tending to Caer's wounds. He sighed.

"You know we could avoid all this if you just talked to the elves."

"You know as well as I do that they're abandoning these lands to the orcs. "

"If you revealed who you were maybe they would sta-"

"-It wouldn't make any difference. I'm a fighter, not a diplomat. You know that."

The innkeeper sighed. "All too well. But you should at least try. Ride to Rivendell and make your case."

"Would it get you off my back?"

"Yes."

Caer nodded. "I'll need a fast horse."

((Oh for...))

The rest of the way went somewhat silently and eventually they got to the path beside the mountain the led down to the beautiful place called Rivendell.

Ilenal stopped the horse when they got to see the full glory of it and smiled. "Rivendell... It seems that our ways are splitting here, then. I hope we shall se each others again" he said and nodded before riding towards Elrond's palace higher thanmost of the city. Many elves looked at him as he drawed his cape from covering his armor and head and rode up the path where Gandalf himself greeted him

"Tanos?" a voice called. Emara, Tanos' sister rushed out to greet him. "You have been away so long."

"Too long," Tanos agreed. "Allow me to introduce my current traveling companion, Everton Took."

"Call me Ever," the hobbit said pleasantly. "Your brother keeps his finest secrets to himself... I hadn't heard of your existence until... ouch!"

Emara laughed as Tanos smacked Ever on the back of the head. He turned apologetically to his sister.

"I apologize for his rambling," he chuckled. "In the presence of beauty, his tongue tends to wag... well, even without the beauty."

Emara laughed and embraced her brother. "Arathorn wanted me to send you to him. He was rather excited when the Elves told him you were coming."

"I am rather looking forward to seeing him as well," Tanos said. "Lead the way, Emara."

"And what am I supposed to do?" Ever demanded, putting his hands on his hips. Tanos shrugged.

"Anything so long as you don't get yourself in trouble," he chuckled. Emara led him away and Ever slid off Banton's back, left the pony with the Evles in the stables and ran off to find some food.

Gandalf and Ilenal did not stay near Eornd's place for long before they left their horses to the stables. Ilenal walked with the greay cloaked wizard over to the gardens with no grin or a smile around them as they spoke.

"Dol Guldur is a dangerous place while Sauron is there, but those ignorant humans don't listen anymore. The only humans I can trust now are the dunedain"

"Mithrandir, there is still good in humans. When the son of Arathorn is old enought, we shall all be amazed once again"

"You have seen it?"

"No, Elrond told me. Don't worry, I shall keep myself quiet of this matter"

This was their conversation's highlight, but they continued to talk about the power of Sauron, which was increasing

After several minutes of walking, Ever stopped an Elf and asked where he could find food. The Elf laughed, pointed, and walked away laughing. Ever stared after him for several seconds, shrugged, and hurried off in the direction the Elf had pointed.

---------------------

Tanos followed Emara to where Arathorn and the Dunedain were resting.

"Tanos?" Arathorn exclaimed, rising to his feet. "My goodness, you've been in battles since you left!"

"The scar?" Tanos laughed, fingering the scar on his chin. "Yes, I suppose I have. But you have not been resting much either."

"I am worn out," Arathorn answered. "Too much fighting to be done. We rest for a little while."

"A well deserved rest, I'm sure," Tanos said. Arathorn sighed and nodded.

"But we cannot rest for long," he said. "Orcs do not wait for us to rest. I feel we'll be leaving again soon."

Gandalf led Ilenal to where the dunedain were resting and stopped there.

"The dunedain do not miss my company, I am sure. Do not make me g throught that door, Gandalf" Ilenal said as he looked at the door infront of him where he would find some of his old friends. Gandalf just smiled and shook his head.

"If you do not meet Arathorn and solve your matters with him, his son shall have a different future up ahead. The future that has been shown to me and Elrond is clouded, and will not rely on what you do now, but Arathorn and his child will need your support just like they need mine" the bearded and grey clothed man said, leaning onto his staff until Ilenal nodded and sighed as he surrendered.

The two walked to the door, Ilenal gathered himself and Gandalf opened the doors for them to walk in. "Arathorn" Gandalf said happily, as he had been busy and had not yet seen Arathorn up close and personal in many years

"Ah the day of reunions!" Arathorn exclaimed at seeing Gandalf enter. "I am seeing so many people I have known and not seen for a time." He half turned and brought Tanos up beside him. "Gandalf, this is a good friend of mine. His name is Tanos. Originally from Rohan, but..."

"I have heard of him," Gandalf interrupted. "A man worthy of trust." Gandalf stepped aside, allowing Ilenal into the room. Arathorn's smile faded.

"What is it?" he said quietly. "Ilenal. Why are you here?"

Archived