Home

Rating on this tactic

vader815

Who knows but my guess is 3 planets would be too small, they wouldn't be able to stand against 70 something planets the A.I would soon get. You would also have to rememeber that retreat is sometimes the best choice - choosing to hold a planet and damn the cost would seriously wound your ability to manourver and strike back.

• 1 month later...

Yeah a swift start is best but reinforcing your planets as your fleet continues conquering if a very good idea so you don't get caught out by the enemy and your fleet smashed to bits. All this considering the AI is smart enough to trap you. If not go Hell bent for Leather, Blitzkreig style.

Two planets is rather slim. Espicially because in EaW you cant beef up two planets that much seeing as you only have 8 building slots per planet. Besides if you focus on two planets alone than your enemy has the rest of the galaxy for the taking. You will probably start with more than 2 planets anyways. My strategy would be to capture planets close to the ones I already have, or planets that have a strong trade route with planets I already have so I can get the stronger trade and more credits.

• 4 weeks later...

With slower build times in the actual game, even if you are swimming in credits, losing too much of your fleet attempting to hold the impossible will get you killed.

You may never get enough time to rebuild your fleet if it's destroyed. Take a lesson from the Yom-Kimpur (?) war. Arabic nations attacked Israel while most of it was on holiday. However, they steadily gave up land for several days until they had enough time to mobilise all their forces, then counter attacked.

They ended that war with more territory than before it.

I think it depends which nation your playing. Remember each planet has special bonus points, i'd go for the planets that are most relevant to your strategy.

Personally i'm going to sneak about as Rebels and Blitzkrieg as Imperials. Rebels i think will be better at picking and choosing planets, keep the enemy occupied trying to find you. While you dance around the flanks and try to take their undefended colonies.

Imperials should all be about smacking their way through.

I think it depends which nation your playing. Remember each planet has special bonus points, i'd go for the planets that are most relevant to your strategy.

Personally i'm going to sneak about as Rebels and Blitzkrieg as Imperials. Rebels i think will be better at picking and choosing planets, keep the enemy occupied trying to find you. While you dance around the flanks and try to take their undefended colonies.

Imperials should all be about smacking their way through.

Messing around in the unmodded Demo, it seems that Bespin has a base income of +1000 ... I don't know if this is a bug/inacurracy in the demo, but if this is correct then Bespin holds the key as it has the income of several normal planets put together! (Allthough I assume it will only have 1/2 build spots due to it's Gas-Giant planet type) ...

Remember, the more planets you get the more money you get. The best thing to do is blitzkrieg*bad spelling?* your way to a front line postion, i would propose taking 20 planets to give you a good start.

Yes you have spelled it correctly. Anyway the thing is that if this A.I. is as advanced as some demo modders claim, the rush wouldn't be that effective :/ Otherwise it might work but then where's the fun on that :p? Also very risky if the AI decides to start attacking each planet you rushed with little resources and army you got left before you can actually make an income.

Therefor i still belive is a bad idea due to the fact that of slow unit building as someone alredy stated. Another problem would also be that neutral planets aren't exactly empty :|

Blitzkrieg, meaning "war as fast as lightning"(which the germans didnt even called it that, an american journalist did"; it's a german strategy of attacking with tanks/infantry side by side. It was developed to prevent the WW1 style of trench warfare hence the agressive attack of tanks acompanied by infantry and if available plane straffing/bombing support.

When i play(modded demo, entire galaxy available), i take as many planets as i can to create a line around the rebels. With that, i usually get about 2/3 of the galaxy on the line/on my side of the line. After that i send a infantry guy to capture the rest of them. This gives me 2/3 of the galaxy in almost no time, as well as a huge amount of income.

After that i just start filling my front with ISD, and maxing out my star bases on every planet(need a high pop cap).

The last time i tried to turtle, the rebels had me surrounded in no time, and i ended up with an enemy fleet of about 100 ships on my doorstep lol... didnt go well from there...

It would depends on the starting funds and tech. If I have about 40K plus and tech 3+, I would spend 30K+ on building my space force and grab as many system as possible (while maintaining a small garrison of ship in each system). then send out ground forces to actually take over the planet after I have a defensive parameter. If I start out at tech 1 and only 10K, then I spend most of it to defend my planets and build up my fleet slowly and attack one or two planet at a time.

Starting funds don't matter. 2-3 planets out of the whole galaxy will earn you a quick loss. For every fleet you defend against another 2 will be built and bearing down on you far quicker than you could replace the ships you lost.

Rush the planets as quick as you can and build all 3 factories as you go or as money allows. No need to build ground units in the early game except for thwe purpose of capping more planets. These factories will automatically create units if you get ground assaults coming your way. Which in the early game should be fairly easy to repel. Once you hit resistance then start building space stations on the front line borders to give you time to further reinforce your planets. Building mining stations as you go too will help you get your fleet in order to protect your airspace.

Basically the early game is all about securing your planets for financial gain. 2-3 planets is sheer suicide.

The AI wont let you just ursh adn take planets, and theyll od the same. Id take all the planets around them, and just make those strongholds

pin em down, and use probe droids as the imperials. Tehn just keep a steady barrage on them, Make sure their fleet isnt too big, and attack to resize it.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned island-hopping yet.

In the sense of the Empire, it would be dispatching probe droids to estimate planetary defenses, taking two or three battle fleets with ground troops, and striking at major Rebel production centers, particularly those for ground troops. By taking out their ability to manufacture ground troops, they will be restricted to attacking lightly defended planets... planets that are likely well behind my lines and that I can quickly muster a response to recapture. Destruction of their smaller fleets will make it harder for the Rebels to centralize their naval power.

With the enemy's ground production limited, I can focus on eliminating their more critical space stations, particularly the ones orbiting Bespin, Vergesso, and the shipyard worlds (Kuat, Fondor, Sullust, Mon Calamari). My objective would be to destroy their Mon Calamari Cruisers, and then their space stations. I'd go about this by striking a world with a fleet consisting largely of Victory SD's and Tartan cruisers, with a smaller force of Broadsides and an ISD or two following closely behind it. I'd quickly move in with my TIE Bombers, backing them with TIE fighters and Tartans, and quickly eliminate the mon cals by destroying their hardpoints. I'd then destroy as many Assault Frigs as I can before I withdraw. Then, with my second punch, I'd use my Broadsides to quickly frag the space station.

More on my strategy later.

Archived