Home

**The OFFICIAL Battlefront II Ratings and Reviews Thread**

Darth Andrew

What do you give Battlefront II a rating of on a scale of 1 to 10?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you give Battlefront II a rating of on a scale of 1 to 10?

• 10-Perfect
    • 9-Excellent
    • 8-Great
    • 7-Very Good
    • 6-Above Average
    • 5-Merely OK
    • 4-Below Average
    • 3-Bad
    • 2-Horrible
    • 1-Not Worth Buying

Well, vote on what you think of Battlefront II, and post a review if you wish to do so. Now, if you haven't played the game in-depth yet (for whatever reason), I kindly ask you to refrain from voting until you do because there are tons of people who visit this site daily to learn about the latest Battlefront II news, and may be deciding if he/she should buy the game or not. If you haven't played it, you obviously don't know if the game is good or not, so you wouldn't be giving an entirely honest opinion if you voted a '10'.

(PC)

[spoiler alert]

First impressions are that most (of my own) criticisms and annoyances from the first game have been addressed. :)

+ Configuration bindings are less awkward to 'set'.

+ It runs much smoother, bizarrely enough - at max settings too!

+ Graphics are just great. Not too bright or gaudy - they set just the right atmosphere.

+ Being able to adjust parameters before launching into Instant Action are well recieved.

- Again, a very poor manual (not detailed enough) and lack of repeat screenshot implementation. [edit] Thanks, below - I'll try that.

- Tantive a little bit of a disappointment... I was expecting to see the cutting of the doors... then diving in! Authentic 'feel' to the place though.

Money well spent. :)

I gave it a 7, for one reason, sloppy network code.

Again I am blessed with a game that runs great and plays great,and looks great,....that is untill I want some PvP action, then between the lag and the disconnects it really hard to have a good time. I did find 1 or 2 servers that were playable for more than 10 mins at a time,but giving that theres a listfull of them 50+ it might take a while to sort through. :firemad:And when I hosted of couse i saw no lag.

This game is marketed under the assumption of online play .Sure it has a single player campaign but its "meat" lies in multiplay. and sadly, for me, thats where it fails the most.

Perhaps a later patch will help, but untill then I give it a 7

comp specs

win xp /all the latest drivers,software and patches

cpu= athalon64

ram= 1024Mb ddr400

video= geforce6800gt

connection= 3Mb download/256 upload

I give it an 8, I really enjoyed the game, if they just took the time to fix several details and add certain maps (cough...bespin...cough) it would be a 10.

And the combat is alot more fast paced, as zerted said, it takes a while to get used to, especially since SBDs are now really good at aiming with their damn rockets... the fast pace is not neccessarily a bad thing, if your trying to get a good feel for the level it can be annoying, fortunetly you could set up an easier paced IA map if you want to explore the innermost details of a level.

I gave it a 9. I played the PS2 version of SWBF for well over 1000 hours, but decided to get SWBF2 on the PC. I run a very clean and fast network, so I don't see much network lag at all. Even on a 1.7GhzP4, this game runs beautifully. I do find a bit of a learning curve, but that is cause I haven't used a mouse for a game in a very long time... from what I have read, the controller settings work like a charm.

PvP rocks, but the story of the single player mode is just as good. I may just have to buy this on the PS2 for times when the PC needs to cool down. ;)

10/10!!! i almost rated 9/10, but i want more ppl to buy it so more ppl would play on MP (mahahhaha!!! evil plan!!!!)

anyway i hate the discons that i suffer on MP like every 10 minutes

the single player rocks!!!!

the graphics engine is amazing, i put everything on high (my PC's spec go way beyond all requirments except under in CPU) and it was seamless!!!!!

hoth is increbaely hard, well i guess it IS the last mission....

my PC lags (i guess you can't really call it that, consider it's in SP) on that really watery planet, but that's prob my fault, and finally....

THE GAME IS FREAKING WORTH BUYING!!!!!!

I'm playing the game on PS2.

The game's still pretty damn good, but it's just not quite as smooth as the first one. And the action is really chaotic. I liked the auto-targeting better in the first one as well. Shoot at someone, that's your target. Pretty intuitive. The lock-on is nice at times, but I don't see how it's all that useful as infantry. Maybe as a Vanguard or in space combat.

That said, some of the additions are pretty cool. I'll probably like it more as I get used to it, but right now I'm underwhelmed.

Well, first, I must say that I have gone through a couple of different "moods" about BF2 before it was released. At first, I was desperately waiting for it. Then, I even considered not buying after seeing some of the screenshots and videos. Finally, I decided to give it a go, and I must say that I am satisfied with the game.

The campaign is pretty cool. I suppose I'm about halfway thorugh (since I just turned Empire) and so far it's good - of course a lot better than what they called "campaign" in the first game. I also really love the new Republic trooper models; for once, it's more than different colors.

I honestly don't really care about the Galactic Marines/Clone Commander thing. What really upset me however is :

a) Magnaguards don't have staves (a Magna with a blaster is probably the most stupid thing I've seen so far)

b) Rebel transport is a Republic Gunship (omg...)

c) V-Wings are the bombers (???? That's just beyond my understanding)

I foolishly hope that a patch can fix these things (I know, that's probably too much for LA).

Apart from this, I really like the way they restricted the unique units and commanders. It does make more sense. I must also acknowledge the new Engineers. I think they're great. Kind of like a crazy mix of medic/pilot/special forces.

The space battles are nice, but a little too small for my liking. I personally think that 2 capital ships per side would give a better "I'm in a space battle" feel. Of course I am disappointed with the fact that the Coruscant battle is not playable in Instant Action... I just don't understand why they made it that way.

My other negative point is the maps. I think they should have included all the mpas from BFront 1. While some like the Naboo Hills (or something like that) were real junk, I miss Rhen Var (sp?). New maps are good though, but a little small.

I was also really surprised by the heroes. I honestly did not expect much, considering how crappy the Jedi looked in BFront 1. You can do some very cool moves and the fighting is (IMO) really similar to what we see in the movies. Some of the models are *superb*, notably the Fetts and Vader. Unfortunately, Dooku (coolest character evar (no, I'm not biased :) )) looks like real junk (I'm sure they took BFront 1's skin...).

I haven't played Conquest yet, but from what I heard it's pretty good.

Finally, I was quite happy to see that they have not completely neglected Original Trilogy content. With the release of Ep3 DVD, I feared that the meat of the game would be Ep3. That's not the case, so the game remains very good for devoted OT fans (hunt mode ftw!)

So I'm quite satisfied with the game. It's not perfect, but it's good. I would give it 8/10.

For those who care, I'll probably post a full review on gamefaqs in the following days if I'm not too lazy...

BTW : I think the poll might be a little biased. I don't think 7/10 deserves "Very Good"....

How about the action? I played the beta and got really frustrated with the speed and randomness. Particularly on the Tantive IV it was just a bunch of thermal detonators going off everywhere so lots of random deaths you couldn't really control or avoid. Everyone was running way too fast and that combined with lag, (ind. of ping btw), made it really hard to hit someone, and it took a counter-intuitive number of hits to kill someone if you were using some sort of blaster or carbine. This was somewhat better on the utapau level they included, but still quite prominent and the game just felt very random and spammy. Has this changed at all?

I have a few questions for those of you that have the game. 1) Has the AI improved much? and 2) Are the commands for the NPCs atually working? I know for the first BF the AI was really reluctant to follow your orders. As soon as you would walk away they would take off and die...quickly. Also, is there a demo in the works for the PC? I know that one was included for the Xbox on the Ep3 dvd.

@ Naso : I haven't played online yet, nor on the Tantive IV level. But on other levels, yes, there are lots of thermal detonators, but less than in the first game (I think they slowed the throwing rate or something). In any event, I have found that it's not too hard to evade the detonators. It's probably different in the Tantive IV though, because there's less space. Most battles are indeed chaotic, but that's the way it is in the movies.

@ manoman81 :

1) so far, I've only played on the normal difficulty. I have had some trouble notably on the theed level in the campaign. Can't say I really see a difference so far, but, like i said, I haven't played the elite mode yet. I must also say that I'm a RPG/RTS player, and Bfront is one of the only FPS I play, so I'm not an "uber l33t FPS" player and things might be harder for me.

2) I have yet to try this. The menu says that the F-keys let you command your troops, but I never tried them. Others might be more qualified to answer this question.

3) The closest thing to a PC demo is the Beta that you could get on... was it gamespy? Never tried it myself.

Have you guys tried pressing "P" for a screenie? Its not in the control configuration of the first one either, but sent the image to a "screenshot" folder in the Battlefront II file

"p" as screenshot was definately in the controls (ingame) in BF 1.

Some questions for the people with the game:

1. Do vehicles have splash damage? In the X-box demo, they had none at all and did next to no damage

2. How much has the AI improved? Like give some examples, I keep hearing that they're better; I want to know how!

3. How chaotic are the battles? In the demo it was way to fast.

1. Splash damage?

2. Not that much, bots repair things, and they stop and crouch at a door and wait for you to go through first, (first noticed it on Tantive IV.)

3. Very chaotic, especially the new maps like Mustafar, Death Star and Tantive IV that have very tight corridors, enemies group together, (makes for easy slaughtering as a Jedi.)

Archived