Home

SWBF2 first impressions (*image intensive - spoilers!*)

Rends

The player limit recommendations from LucasArts I believe are posted on the 'net. Personally I wouldn't expect to be able to host huge 64 player games unless you've got a fantastic box and amazing line. Most people probably should settle for something smaller like 8 or 16 players max. If you're on dialup, forget it! (4 players?)

When I get the game I will try to run a server with my available bandwidth, but I'm only on cable, so don't expect miracles. ;)

Yeah I'd say if you want anything on the mod scene or the MP scene... just wait a week or two. The game just came out today for most of us!

IF they provide a linux dedicated server then you'll see the community grow and expand. If not, expect the same 30 servers you have in SWBF1 after four months.

But few people who have the game now probably realize you can play the MP games solo. They're probably just playing them instant action, since they don't know how to create a batch file.

Actually SWBF1 removed the FPS cap and fixed many things in the last patch (1.3 beta) but almost nobody uses it, since it wasn't that heavily advertised. It's "beta" but it's still better than 1.2, even if it doesn't fix every bug (there's still tons of exploits in the game). Another thing is the Cd crackz that are out don't work with 1.3, so there's another reason, ha.

I'm curious if the chat engine is still as laggy and annoyingly placed as before. They basically don't want you to use it in this game, I guess in favor of voice communication (which not everyone on the PC has or uses)... in the beta it was still bad. I'm not too hopeful that they fixed it.

Can you type a normal speed sentence without looking and have it look like a normal person typed it? Or does it drop letters and make you look dyslexic still?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I wouldn't expect to be able to host huge 64 player games unless you've got a fantastic box and amazing line. Most people probably should settle for something smaller like 8 or 16 players max. If you're on dialup, forget it! (4 players?)

indeed, i think its impossible/very unwise to start hosting 64 player games on a home connection cos such a game would require a 3 meg upload speed or something and most connections in the EU area have a 1 meg upload give or take, wich should be enough for a 10-14 player games. with a 56k connection you might not even be able to play this game or host a session.

Actually SWBF1 removed the FPS cap and fixed many things in the last patch (1.3 beta)

yea too bad they released the patch when it was too late.

I'm curious if the chat engine is still as laggy and annoyingly placed as before. They basically don't want you to use it in this game, I guess in favor of voice communication (which not everyone on the PC has or uses)... in the beta it was still bad. I'm not too hopeful that they fixed it.

Can you type a normal speed sentence without looking and have it look like a normal person typed it? Or does it drop letters and make you look dyslexic still?

well the chat is a bit laggy yes although it doesnt bother me personally that much. as for dropping letters, hasnt happened to me or atleast i havent noticed anything or then im just a slow typer.

noticed a funny thing when i browsed the SWBF2 installation folders, for some reason the game saves all the chats as text files ( only chat traffic, no kill mesages etc. ). might be a leftover from the beta cos frankly i dont see much point in this and who knows it might be the reason for the laggy chat.

I guess I'm in the minority but I think the game sucks.

1)The game engine isn't exactly the same (it's very jerky and I don't mean laggy),

2)The game graphics don't have a clear feel to them,

3)The interface graphics are cheesy as well.

4) Like someone posted earlier their are enemies everywhere so you can't even really explore a map.

5)The mines glow in the dark, so you would have to be a moron to step on one.

I only played for just over an hour (online) but I was pretty dissapointed so I turned it off.

yay i got it today!!! but i'm prob not gonna get to play it til the day after tomorrow (thursday) that sucks...

and since mual is not where he is souppose to be, lets say he's in jabba's place (not true, but still use your brain) and luke and mual gets into a duel, who would win? i'm rooting for mual....

added later: and the mines are reasonable that way, have you played tantive 4 on MP whre ppl would just put mines on the other side of doors, you can't kill it, but you know it's there... why do you know? because it glows throguh walls! if it didn't mine lamers/spamers would own!!!!

I guess I'm in the minority but I think the game sucks.

1)The game engine isn't exactly the same (it's very jerky and I don't mean laggy),

2)The game graphics don't have a clear feel to them,

3)The interface graphics are cheesy as well.

4) Like someone posted earlier their are enemies everywhere so you can't even really explore a map.

5)The mines glow in the dark, so you would have to be a moron to step on one.

I only played for just over an hour (online) but I was pretty dissapointed so I turned it off.

That's a bummer. Guess you should have played the beta (or console demo) first...?

That's a bummer. Guess you should have played the beta (or console demo) first...?

Wait, is that for the PC version? Cause ive played the Xbox demo and game feels pretty much the same as BF1. Execpt that now i noticed that certian floors are bump mapped. Graphics are exactly the same IMO, execpt for certian new effects such as the reflective floors

A friend of mine bought the game and let me play it. It took me a full night to beat it on Elite. Some things I've noticed:

1) Its too fast. You have a very limited about of renforcements (about 20) while the enemy has an unlimited count. I would rather take my time working through each objective and enjoying the Star War's sights rather than race through everything like a coin operated raceing game, where you are attempting to get to the next checkpoint so you can play a little longer.

2) The Engineer is way overpowered. I did my best to play each level through as a Sniper, but if you can't get through a spot, become an Engineer. I had no trouble in any area when I was an Engineer. The detpack will kill any unit, even the 'bosses'. I blew up 3 Jedi 'Masters' (compared to the hoards of normal Jedi) witha one POORLY placed detpack. It takes two shots from the shotgun to destroy any Jedi. I think it should be more.

3) A teammates follows you. I like how they did the bot team managment. You tell what ever unit you are pointing at to follow or leave you alone. This way you can take one or two units (who ever you are pointing at, so you can pick the type of unit)with you on a flanking move, instead of the whole crowd of units near you.

On the campains:

1) Its too fast. The levels are effectively over before I figure out where I am on the map. It normally ends up me vs 14 enemy units. Those 14 units are spread randomly around the map, so its not too hard (but it takes a while) to snipe them all out. One thing different from SWBF, the units don't get out of the vehicles when there is less than 20 renforcements left. It sucks going up aganist a vehicle when the counters are at 1-1.

2) You can't do much landing on enemy captial ships. There are HOARDS of units standing around the inner doors. You can land, run to the doors, and drop a time bomb. You get about 11 kills, but you can't run in and blow up ship systems. There are too many bots. They mow you down fast.

2) You can't do much landing on enemy captial ships. There are HOARDS of units standing around the inner doors. You can land, run to the doors, and drop a time bomb. You get about 11 kills, but you can't run in and blow up ship systems. There are too many bots. They mow you down fast.

You can, but you can't take out the shieldgenerator from inside, because it takes to much ammo. I always first destroy the Auto-Defence system from inside, so I can destroy the Communication Relay, Sensor Relay and Life Support System with my TIE Fighter/Arc-170 fighter (I always use those ships). At the moment its impossible to play online, because the most servers got a ping of 500 or over and lag you to dead, the lowest ping I saw until now was 285!

A friend of mine bought the game and let me play it. It took me a full night to beat it on Elite. Some things I've noticed:

Just out of curiosity... did you play all of Galactic Conquest? Because the "single player" campaign of SWBF1 I thought was VERY easy, except for like one or two missions (I think Dune Sea and Bespin) where suddenly the AI became crack shots (this was before the 1.03 patch though) forcing you to be a monster gunman in order to win (your teammates suddenly became useless fodder, and all the poor combat prior gave you a false sense of security up to that point).

However, in SWBF1, Galactic Conquest was another matter. It was like 4x longer than the entire SP campaign (lots of filler, but still). Beating that would take forever. I got about halfway through it (beat it with CIS then switched to Imperials) and then got to Kashyyk (the one with the huts as opposed to the beach) and it was practically impossible (my team is fodder). So I gave up. So I'm just curious, is the campaign longer, shorter here? Or are you not including GC? (Or do they not have a GC SP campaign?).

1) Its too fast. You have a very limited about of renforcements (about 20) while the enemy has an unlimited count. I would rather take my time working through each objective and enjoying the Star War's sights rather than race through everything like a coin operated raceing game, where you are attempting to get to the next checkpoint so you can play a little longer.

So it's very different from SWBF1 where you had tickets of 100 up to 250, but the enemy usually had like 50 more than you?

SWBF1's campaigs were similarly short. This isn't a problem in MP (at least in the SWBF2 beta, because you can set ticket counters higher.. but then there's nothing you can do about people capturing everything quickly if they make it happen).

2) The Engineer is way overpowered. I did my best to play each level through as a Sniper, but if you can't get through a spot, become an Engineer.

I imagine the sniper sucks now, with the increased Infantry health (unless his sniper rifle has been beefed up to compensate) and the lack of a "prone" position...

If the Engineer is overpowered, what about the Heavy Trooper (rocket guy)?

;)

I had no trouble in any area when I was an Engineer. The detpack will kill any unit, even the 'bosses'. I blew up 3 Jedi 'Masters' (compared to the hoards of normal Jedi) witha one POORLY placed detpack. It takes two shots from the shotgun to destroy any Jedi. I think it should be more.

TK and the other Jedi haters will be pleased! Then again in MP it may be different. I don't think I ever successfully killed anyone with a detpack in the beta, but then maybe I just suck. ;)

3) A teammates follows you. I like how they did the bot team managment. You tell what ever unit you are pointing at to follow or leave you alone. This way you can take one or two units (who ever you are pointing at, so you can pick the type of unit)with you on a flanking move, instead of the whole crowd of units near you.

In the beta I thought the AI was vastly improved over SWBF1, it's good to hear this was retained. My question is, can they repair things?

On the campains:

1) Its too fast. The levels are effectively over before I figure out where I am on the map. It normally ends up me vs 14 enemy units. Those 14 units are spread randomly around the map, so its not too hard (but it takes a while) to snipe them all out. One thing different from SWBF, the units don't get out of the vehicles when there is less than 20 renforcements left. It sucks going up aganist a vehicle when the counters are at 1-1.

Still, smart idea. ;) You can always try to hack them out of their vehicles though, if you're quick...

Interesting. In the beta it was pathetically easy to destroy internal ship systems if you started early. The bots practically ignored you unless you attacked them first (favoring setting up defensive guns and then running to the ships), which was probably a bug in the AI routines on the space maps.

You could just run past them, blow up everything, then steal one of their ships and go destroy the rest...

This game is SUPPOSED to be about teamwork. In Single Player, this means they need to have AWESOME AI that actually follow orders. Ideally, that means if you are a good captain coordinating your team, you should win.

In MP if the people are all smart and working together they should win.

What I hated about SWBF1 was that your team was hopelessly stupid, forcing you to be Rambo, rather than Caesar (soldier who does all the work rather than general), while the other team was masterful at head shots and slaughtering your team in bottlenecks. It was a race for you to win before your own team committed suicide, in other words.

Well, if what you say is true, it sounds like SP will be much more entertaining this time around (if still short). I just hope they spent as much time on MP as they did on SP. This game really should be about online play, so I hope all that time we put into the beta was worthwhile...

You can, but you can't take out the shieldgenerator from inside, because it takes to much ammo. I always first destroy the Auto-Defence system from inside, so I can destroy the Communication Relay, Sensor Relay and Life Support System with my TIE Fighter/Arc-170 fighter (I always use those ships). At the moment its impossible to play online, because the most servers got a ping of 500 or over and lag you to dead, the lowest ping I saw until now was 285!

In the beta destroying internal systems was easy because there was an ammo droid inside (two in fact.. one by the ship spawn point and one inside the first door leading to the objectives).

Is that no longer true?

If you want to play online, just host your own server. That's what I'd do.

I played through the entire objective based campain (the 501's missions). I started the Conquest modes (Birth of the Rebellian) but didn't get too far into it yet.

I like the new Galactic Conquest better than SWBF1's. You control planets and space ship fleets. The ships move around the universe in turns and fight where ever they meet or land on an enemy planet. You get points for winning battle and you have to buy everything (your units, your fleets, your 'powerups'). Each army only starts with the normal trooper. You have to buy the other units.

The AI repirs everything.

I did better than I though I would as the sniper. You don't have time to camp and snipe units off. Your renfoorcements are too low. I felt the sniper moved the fastest, which was important. I was racing everywhere. You can't be Rambo. Then enemy has an infinite amout of renforcements and you have about 20. You are not Caesar too. You can only give the follow me, pile in, pile out, break off (stop following) commands. There is only one command button.

Next time I play, I'll post a picture of the massive amounts of units on the captial ships.

Archived