Home

limited edition?

eastcoast2895

i was looking through my best buy ad for this week and next to the pc version of star wars battlefront it says in small text, limited edition availible tuesday for the same price. i was wondering is the limited edition just the dvd rom version of the game or is there actually something special?

Limited Editions tend to be nothing special (when it comes to software). In the past "limited edition" implied that they were only going to make a few of these and thus they would be gone fast, you had to place your order ahead of time, etc. and it was implied that these were "one of a kind" and "special." They may be limited, but they may not be special!

Note how "Collector's Edition" typically means a metal tin or the strategy guide packed in with the game itself, or worst of all a "collector's (cardboard) box" that differs slightly from the norm. "Limited Edition" in many cases tend to be identical to the regular product just with the words "limited edition" on it! So I would not assume that just because it costs more it is actually "better." In many cases it's just a marketing gimmick (check out the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy DVD's... they say Limited Edition on them but they're actually a stripped down version of the set we got in 2004!).

I'm guessing now this is the DVD-ROM edition that is "limited."

Probably means they'll just stock slightly fewer units of it than the 4 disc CD-ROM version, simply because fewer people have fast enough DVD-ROM drives to load the game on with it.

Archived