Home

Anybody play Guild Wars?

Tysyacha

I'll answer that :D

When you start the game, the country looks nice, bunnies hopping around and stuff. >>

<<This is only the turorial. It will change.Because the danger of the Charr on the other side of the wall is getting worse. So you are going to do something about it.

The quest to do this will lead you through icy mountains, jungles, deserts, and more. You will have to battle gods, to finally save your people on the forsaken islands of Orr.

About the missions itself: NPC's will help you, and you will have to bring down castles, kill enemy bosses, etc.

O yeah, before i forget:

Guild Wars had no monthly subscription fee. It isn't actually a MMORPG...it's more of a Online Advanture. As soon as you leave a City, or a outpost, your copy of the game will be loaded, and you will be alone.

This way, no big servers are needed, while still providing the joy of a mmorpg.

^Well, yes but you can invite people to your "world copy".^

So what if the community is not "full of hardcore gamers"? That's the entire point of the game. Bring the MMO genre to a larger public then lifeless geeks. It managed to shatter the stereotype.

Its 4.5 million subscribers is proof.

The gameplay might not be new, but it re-uses what already exists and does it well. It's like saying FEAR's slow-motion sucks because it isn't new. It isn't, it just does it very well.

Halo would get 0 praise if that was everything yoiu could judge a game on.

Lastly, World of Warcraft doesn't have the same community as Battle.net. Now that's a nightmare.

What's so bad about a "classic" MMO community? I wasn't inculting people who aren't geeks, I was saying the WoW community is hostile and full of idiotic n00bs and pricks. Compare it to any community of a PlayNC game and you'll see great difference. People are generally cooler and more helpful (there's idiotic guys too, but not so much as in WoW and Galaxies.) Shattering stereotypes is great. I hate stereotypes. But why destroy it if there's no friggin point? You destroyed something bad, the "lifeless geeks" stereotype, and didn't get good results. Gameplay using old elements is bad, it's repetitive. Unless you use them well, what WoW does not.

What's so bad about a "classic" MMO community? I wasn't inculting people who aren't geeks, I was saying the WoW community is hostile and full of idiotic n00bs and pricks.

WoW =/= Battle.net. I do not know what you're talking about, I only had one bad encounter. You're probably unlucky or biased against Blizzard's online community.

Compare it to any community of a PlayNC game and you'll see great difference. People are generally cooler and more helpful (there's idiotic guys too, but not so much as in WoW and Galaxies.)

There's helpful people and idiots everywhere. Is there more in WoW? I don't think so. There's more subscribers and more people populate the servers so it might seem like there's more but I doubt the ratio is very different in the way you claim it.

Shattering stereotypes is great. I hate stereotypes. But why destroy it if there's no friggin point? You destroyed something bad, the "lifeless geeks" stereotype, and didn't get good results.

4.5 million subscribers will disagree with you. What bad results?

Gameplay using old elements is bad, it's repetitive. Unless you use them well, what WoW does not.

WoW does them very well. It is a matter of opinion.

Hell, every Blizzard game ever made re-uses old already existing elements. All of them had both popular and critical acclaim.

I still play Guild Wars on a regular basis, though I'm much more PvE based than PvP. Currently have three three ascended characters, with a fourth on his way. They are: Lvl 20 Ranger/x, Lvl 20 Monk/x, lvl 20 Warrior/Necro, and then the lvl 16 Necro/Mesmer. My main is the Ranger, who I've decked out with FoW armor. :) I think I'm doing well.

Anyways,

I'm about having fits here. I'm a level 5 Elementalist/Ranger,

and I can't find the collectors for all my armor. Where is

Karleen?

Also, where can you hunt Grawl Shamans? Those things

are kind of rare. :(

Thanks,

Tysyacha Dvukhsotny

Yep, Karleen the collector has been moved in the recent patch. She's now near the Catacombs exit to Green Hills County. Get there from Barradin's Estate. The majority of Grawl Shamans are also located in Green Hills County too. Good hunting. ;)

I am usually the first to bash MMORPGs....only from the point of view that :

*You usually have to PAY to play

*they are EXTREMELY time consuming

Guild wars is neither, I am very pleased to say. I am a huge Final Fantasy fan, and had a go at FF XI. But soon into my 30 day free trial, I realsied that to get the most out o fthis game, you need to kiss your work, friends and family goodbye !!

Guild Wars often plays like a SP game if you want it like that.... and then when you want to do cooperative or PvP you can do that too...

I havent come across one rude or arrogant person in the PvP area... one even helped with my ultra noob question that we all ask at some point :

"How do you get resurrection!"

In my subsequent days, I have helped others with the same question ! funny. I like the way you can go into your log, specify your mission and it puts you right back on track and points you in the right direction. In other games(NWN) I have spent eons figuring out where I was after coming back to the game after a long absence !

Vlad... you should know better than to criticise something you havent experienced :p

mtfbwya

Exactly.

Like i also said, it is more of a 'Epic' adventure, then walking along with 10.000 other players.

I played both, (WoW beta) and i just find Guild Wars to be the better one.

You don't have to be online 24/7, and the players are friendly.

Also, it has better graphics. Ati Radeon users, eat your heart out ^^

I'm going Warrior this time. Monk is far more group-based as a primary profession,

I've discovered, and how in H-E-double-Warrior-blades can 4 level 4 monsters

gang up on you and totally kick your butt? *grr* It doesn't help that Monk

armor isn't the most protective. Also, I can't believe I wasted almost a plat

on silver dye! As a Warrior, there will already be silver on me, so nyeehh. :)

Any tips for a good Warrior secondary to keep things interesting?

Warrior as second?

It depends on your primary...

If your primary is mesmer, you should use Illusionary weaponry, combined with some mesming moves to deal an asocial amount of damage.

If your primary is a ranger, use Tiger's Fury and the defense and attack increasing moves of the ranger in your advantage (called a ninja)

If your primary is monk, use tactics for nice effects. I can reccomend Gladiators Defense. Those warriors that are bashing you will never know what hit them.

If your primary is elementalist, combine it with earth magic. Form wards around you, use earthquake and stuff to knock your enemys down, then strike with a hammer.

If your primary is necromancer, you can use the draining powers and life syphoning powers to increace your eficency. Also, a necomancer can put up healing wards.

I dunno, I must be old and and warped...how can being a spellcaster be as much fun... you need a damn sword/axe or hammer to destroy things with.... :p

of course, (good)spellcasters then stand on a hill a good distance away and kick your a$$ :p In the Ascalon Arena PVP, I had my longest consecutive win run(8)in a team with this one player who never moved through the damn door !! she just stood there, dealing nasty damage from afar....

mtfwya

You haven't seen anything yet...

Some good spellcasters can kill a Warrios in 5 seconds. An Elemantalist can have an 300 dmg/sec dmg potential. My best warrior had only 1324 health.

Also, good mesmer can give you a Health Degeneration of above 12. It can be so high, that your healthbar will be filled with little < signs...

*sighs*

And i'm standing thwre with my 140 dmg potential sword...autch...you better take a good monk ^^

• 2 months later...

Hey, everybody...

What do you think is a great build for PvE, or a roleplaying character?

I like Ranger as a primary or secondary, and I like Elementalist, too.

Monks are cool, and they can heal, but I hear Invincimonk has been "nerfed".

I hear Mesmers are REALLY hard to play. Have a steep learning curve, they do.

I want to have it so hardly anything can touch me in PvE. I don't care if I'm

crap in PvP, I just want to finish the Prophecies chapter of Guild Wars! ;)

Sincerely,

Tysyacha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived