Home

Linux

Stryker412

Do you want Linux support for your Battlefront 2 server?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Linux support for your Battlefront 2 server?

• Yes
    • No

We are currently waiting as well. We have 3 linux servers on a T3 line ready to go. My brother and Fizzo from Sonic Army are talking to Dave at Pandemic about this. I have also taked tothe guy from Black Bag Ops but he has no knowledge of this. He is the one who wrote the Win32 Server and interface. We really need to keep voting on this and my bro will present this poll to Pandemic.

The WORST linux box blows the doors off any Windows server. This is necessary for the games tahat are continually getting more players and more advanced AI. I am disappointed that they have negelcted to stay ahead of the curve but they currently do not see enough demand in this area. Tsk Tsk.

Stay positive and this may work out.

I don't use linux much (at least not yet...), but has anyone tried using WINE with it? You don't need to have the full game working to run a server. I just downloaded the tools and seem to have a server running. No one has joined it yet so I can't be sure...

I don't use linux much (at least not yet...), but has anyone tried using WINE with it? You don't need to have the full game working to run a server. I just downloaded the tools and seem to have a server running. No one has joined it yet so I can't be sure...

Would be worth trying, however wine couldn't probably solve the issue because no one will install a windowmanager and lots of gui-crap on his linux server just for emulating a battlefront server.

A better idea might be vmplayer. You can setup a whole windows-enviroment running on your linux machine (no that's not as in emulating) but you'd still have to install lots of gui-stuff in order to run vmpayer, I think.

Anyone ever tried that ?

You need to have a linux server it's a joke not to. As for wine the problem is most people running linux don't have a window manager installed, and if you did you would probably have to install vnc then because I know I don't have a monitor hooked up.

Linux serwver is a must! I too have a server standing by just waiting to be used for this. Right now i host about 20 JO and JA servers and i can doo so because free bsd. No windows server can do that so smoothly. WE WANT LINUX or the seque to the "best selling" SW game ever will be another waste of time and money

Exactly, lack of linux server was what ultimatelly killed SWBF for me. We apparently got remote admin tools this time around, but seriously, if we restrict server support to windows platform it still limits number of dedicated hosts significantly.

I mean, look at the stats, majority of game servers is powered by linux for its versatility and performance, and has no way to move back to windows. Number of servers/players measures popularity of an MP game, so why volountarily decrease it.

Of course SWBF2 will earn for itself with mere power of Star Wars franchise and symultanic multiplatform launch, but, on the other hand, it automatically means LEC will get enough money to get us linux server binaries implemented, so, for gamer's and your own sake- do it :).

And one more thought- with BF 1.3beta LEC & Pandemic had much time to completely revamp MP code of the game and God bless them for it. But it also was a great time to think about linux support and, after the lesson learned by the complete disaster of online SWBF, do the homework right this time around.

Unless LEC doesn't care for their games (let alone gamers), but only about how much they earn. I hope not, but in such case I woldn't have anything to talk about here.

Archived