Home

Vid card help please

K_Kinnison

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I MIGHT be getting somewhere around 400mhz or hopefully 600 for Xmas. See, my mom alwyas complains that I don't ask for enough stuff(It's true, I was only asking for Half Life and a modem) so I said "Ok, get me a computer!" I might have convinced her about the latter one, since it's free after rebates and signing up with MSN(Shudder yes, but hey free computer!)

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

[This message has been edited by Taarkin (edited December 06, 2000).]

one more thing R9. Why buy a built PC when you can do it yourself for almost half the price. The guy I bought my CPU from is selling gaurenteed PIII 700 that will do 1GHZ when overclocked for $185.

check this out..

I bought a PIII 700 that runs at 933mhz for $225, a Creative Labs Geforce GTS2 32MG for $180(now the guy is selling them for 150) and some Mushkin PC133 that is now under $100.

So add that up.

CPU....185

geforce 150

Ram.....100

=$435 add a 20gig HDD for $140

SB live for $80 or so Nice MoBo for $125 and you have a 933mhz PC for under $1000.

And the difference between a 32mg and 64mg Geforce GTS2 card is next to nothing.

Listen to Keyan, I read an article and a Athlon 1.2 is faster then the P4 1.5 in most apps. Plus the RAM prices for those things are unreal.

Marvel at my new computer specs: (arriving in approx. two weeks...)

Athlon 1.2 Ghz

256Mb PC133 SDRAM

45Gb 7200RPM ATA-100 HDD

64Mb GeForce 2 ULTRA

Soundblaster Live Platinum

10X DVD drive

56K V.90 Modem

etc...

------------------

And what of the Director's Lenses?

The logs show they fled the scene in a shuttle. That is all the information we have sir, there is a high probability that the shuttle was destroyed in the battle.

A shame.....but we'll buy George Lucas another pair of glasses.

G, I could build my own compy, if I had the time. I just ordered it from the Dell catalog. I know that all that stuff seems nugatory, but I usually fiddle with the system afterwards. 'Sides, if the P4 doesn't work out, I can just return it. I've had my eye on an Athlon anyway.

ME is for my family, who will manage to screw it all up anyway. Windows 2000 is for me b/c I gots to set up a network through it. I'll probably add a few more OS's like NT or something.

I just want a really fast compy that'll get me sick times with SETI, that's all. biggrin.gif

------------------

Rogue Nine

Sith Lord/Stallion

Resident Gundamaniac

Andy's self-appointed sidekick

Cousin to Psycho and boytoy to Mara

I regularly use a p2 350, AMD-K6 400 (I THINK that's what it is), a p3 733, and a p3 800. All of them have 128-132 megs of ram except the 350 which has 96. I notice absolutely no different in performance between ANY of them...except the 733 and the 800 take forever to start up (over seven minutes each).

my point?

anything with GIGAHERTZ in it's name=overkill

------------------

jup_sept.gif

I'm convinced solar energy is a Communist conspiracy

Nine Windows 2000 is NT, more or less. Windows 2000 is like the next NT and Windows ME is like the next Windows 9x. Due to this, I would not expect all your games to work on a Windows 2000 machine, because of DirectX and all that. If you're really into trying out different OS's, you could always stick Linux on there. Always good to be familiar with that (and it's free). There are other free ones as well. You can try some of the BSD's or maybe BeOS.

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited December 06, 2000).]

If it makes anyone feel better, my current PC is 166mhz.

------------------

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

*laughs* K_K you're funny tongue.gif

and for all the rest of you, can you say it's all greek to me? wink.gif i think the computer i'm on now (my parents) is like a 200mHz, and mine upstairs is i think a 400mHz, and it has 64mb of RAM, and 2 gigs of somethin else, but i dont' know what tongue.gif that's about all i know about em...my computer upstairs doesn't even have a modem right now frown.gif it has an ethernet card, but that does me no good at home...

------------------

If you live to be a hundred, i hope i live to be a hundred minus one so i never have to live without you!

SkirtPower@hotmail.com

Official Forum Chick

Well , lets see....

I have a PIII 700 overclocked to 933mhz(turned up the FSB to 133)MSI slocket and Golden orb cooler ,an Abit BE6 mobo, 128mg Mushkin PC133 CAS2 Rev 1.5 with Mosel Vitalic chips ,32mg Geforce GTS2, two WD 13.6gig 7200RPM ultra/dma HDDs,Diamond mx300 sound card,creative 52x cd-rom,intel 10/100pro nic,netgear 10/100 nic, Addtronics case w/5 fans. cambridge sound works FPS2000 speakers, 19 inch sylvania monitor.

Almost forgot, I "rounded" all my IDE and floppy ribbon cables too, the ATA/66 was to small to do, and the wrapped them in red wire loom. biggrin.gif

the wife has a PIII 550 katmai , 128mg corsair PC100,voodoo 3 2000, HP burner, WD 10gig HDD, SB live sound, intel 10/100pro nic,17 inch sylvania.

Got me a P200 also. and SETI also runs on my parents PIII 600.

Thants about it, except the wife just got a new Dell PIII 800 lap top. biggrin.gif It from her work ,so no seti. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GUNNER (edited December 07, 2000).]

Although my chances of getting that new computer are dwindling, I think I should be prepared anyway. Nameley, how to set it up. Is there a faster way to copy stuff over besides painstakingly coplying each little thing onto a disk and then onto the new PC?

------------------

Official forum Psychic

Originally posted by Taarkin:

Is there a faster way to copy stuff over besides painstakingly coplying each little thing onto a disk and then onto the new PC?

Painstakingly upload each little thing to the NET and then download it all again.

------------------

You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...

Archived