Home

Excellent Joystick Support!!!

Vagabond

I know most people don't care about joystick support these days, but I am one of the last of a dying breed, from a more civilized age of PC gaming :cool: And I just have to say that Star Wars Battlefront II has really good joystick support - much better than it's predecessor. I can easily map the X, Y, R, and Z axes right from the game's interface, rather than having to edit config files. It was straight forward, worked like a charm, and surprisingly, the actual joystick implementation had analog input, which was a pleasant surprise - meaning, move the stick a little bit and the movement on-screen moves a little bit.

In contrast, the post-Jedi Knight: MotS jedi games had a ridiculously incomplete joystick setup mandating the tedious editing of config files, and what you were able to configure was totally unusable because even the slightest movement of the stick resulted in a "full power" input - it was all-on or all-off. I only mention this to illustrate how the joystick implementation in SWBF2 is everything that these games were not, which is first rate. The only LucasArts game that had better joystick support was the original Jedi Knight & Mysteries of the Sith, which was first rate for any first-person shooter I have ever played.

Regarding Star Wars Battlefront II, most PC gamers will understandably be interested in joystick support primarily for starfighter control, if at all. At let me tell you, in my opinion, it's really a joy to be able to roll, pitch, yaw, and throttle up/down with my stick, rudder and throttle controllers - the way flying was meant to be done. It makes me feel like a caged bird that's free at last... :cool:

Well, I'm still setting up my final configuration. SWBF2 has more functions to control than SWBF1, so I'm having a bit of a delima. I definitely use my joystick setup for starfighters, but have yet to decide whether I'll be able to go that way with the infantry. My throttle controller has a little thumb joystick that I can map the mouse to - if it turns out I can get the degree of control that I need, I can possibly get away with abandoning the mouse for everything, save perhaps sniping, and in those cases I could just reach up and do that as needed.

The mouse assist really helps in the full version. In the beta the spacecraft were nearly impossible to control with a keyboard/mouse... an exercise in frustration.

This really got to me too because it's clearly been shown that you can do flight controls with mouse/keys in other games. So it's good that they fixed this. Still, a joystick would be better, anytime you take flight... ;)

You really need two sets of controls. The console gamers will have their great flight controls, but poor FPS controls, and the Pc gamers vice versa.

But we PC gamers have the advantage because we can buy our joysticks!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I still use the space orb to play battlefront II.

Main problem is there is not enough buttons.

But yea, I wish we had better gamepads for 3d shooters.

They just don't work that great.

The space orb works much better but is very old and hard to set up right.

Archived