Home

MP Skills Question

cmdr_prefect

Greetings,

(long post - sorry)

I have some basic questions about MP in SWRC. My son and I just started playing online - SWRC is our first attempt at a first-person shooter in an online environ. We are hooked!

We enjoy CTF the most (when teamwork is happening), but haven't tried Assault mode yet - looks promising. TD is fun once in a while when we want to vent.

This site and the Basic Training site have been very helpful at getting us to a moderate level of competitiveness (double-tap movement is a god-send). Thanks for all the great info. We are still 'ultra-noobs' by every stretch of the definition.

We realize there is still a lot of room to hone our skills - especially in being able to aim under motion during combat.

What we have noticed (either while playing or via spectate) is that there are some players who simply seem super-human; always killing in one shot; never dying and far outscoring the rest of the lot. Usually they are using the shotgun and sniper rifle - trading off between the two depending n the situation.

My question is: Are they that good, or are we running into occaisional cheating on some of the servers? Is MP cheating (autoaim, increased shield effectiveness, etc) even possible in SWRC online? Is it prevelant?

Are there any good resources for additional strategy and tactics that anyone can recommend. We really enjoy this game, and want to get better at it.

Thanks a lot for reading - I appreciate any comments.

CMDR_PREFECT aka Jep

Well, holding the center view key, home by default gets aim for headshots with sniper real easy. Thats not really autoaming, so yes, they are that good. and those super human playes have really low ping, or are just that good, the former is usually the case. Theres no cheating but a problem with weapon spawning comes up every now and then.

HINT: put mouse sensetivity down it helps, I got much better with that.

If your so hooked you might like this: http://www.eclipticalrealms.com/wargames/game-homepage.asp?gameid=13

I'll check back if you have any questions.

Duaryn - Thanks much for the reply. I'm not really fond of Center View - only good if you're on the same horizontal plane as the enemy, and just as easy (better?) to aim w/ mouse by my account.

Reducing Mouse Sensitivity has helped a lot. We reduced it from 6 to 2 and saw a definite improvement - thanks for the tip.

We consistently get Pings in the 40's and 50's on our favorite servers, which I don't think is too bad. We have been playing like crazy this last week, and can see the improvement already.

I do agree that 99% of the 'super players' we run into are just that good. I am still convinced that there are a rare few that are running some sort of cheat - last night there was one player in DM with an obvious speed cheat - he looked like one of those high speed silent movies, and the difference between him and every other player was night and day.

Our noob learning tactics have been as follows:

1) Use DM play to practice movement and aim. Mastering movement as second nature is imperative - turning, spinning, moving in all directions (esp backwards) without thinking is an essential skill. Better aim seems to come almost naturally once we can move effortlessly. Effective dodging is another movement skill to focus on. Here the jump and double-tap dodge come into play.

2) Learning to use melee when appropriate and without hesitation.

3) Use CTF to practice strategy. This includes predicting other players movements and predicting other players prediction of our movements (like doubling back before going through a door and getting behind the guy who was predicting your exit). Also learning to cooperate with your own team members. This is why I love CTF so much better than DM - it adds several dimensions to the game. I'm getting regular flag captures and recoveries now.

4) Learning player and weapon spawn points - know the maps.

All in all, I think we just need to keep practicing. I am starting hit #2 through #4 ranking on some matches (nowhere near that on some of the 'serious' clan servers).

Cmdr_Prefect

About the people who always snipe and score alot, I'm one of the snipers myself, lucky that most people do try it out,or you couldn't go 5 steps without getting sniped. Reccomned you try sniping it works real well in CTF,never try it in DM though.

i just play on ghostship, its a real good sniping with cover map, I got second on a big CTF game once without flag captures,only the occasional save. People will never learn not to use shotguns on someone behind a box as cover, I sniped two of them without even getting hit once. Then there are those lucky headshots that can save your life for a while.

• 1 month later...

Archived