Home

Complete Star Wars Saga DVD Boxset?

jon_hill987

So when's it comming out?

I'm wondering if I should bother buying RotS on DVD, or just wait for the inevitable.

Seriously, do you lot think GL is going to milt the cash cow that is RotS for all it is worth first? are we going to get a PT boxset before a compleate saga box set?

There's nothing stopping them from making one right this very second. They did it with LOTR and with Star Trek and Aliens.

You don't have to create any new content at all... just take the existing DVD's, toss them into a big carboard thing and sell it for $100 and people will buy it.

So I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Now the "It's on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and it's actually improved somehow and it's all the movies and omg its so awesome and it's the 30th anniversary" that's something else entirely, that Van Ling thinks will happen in 2007. That's about all we really know.

I have all 6 movies on DVD, I don't need them all in some box. Especially if it's as crappy as the one they gave us for the OT Boxset. That thing was pathetic.

The only way I'll ever get another SW DVD is if it's the theatrical cuts of the the OT on DVD.

I have all 6 movies on DVD, I don't need them all in some box. Especially if it's as crappy as the one they gave us for the OT Boxset. That thing was pathetic.

The only way I'll ever get another SW DVD is if it's the theatrical cuts of the the OT on DVD.

I concur. Since I actually forked over to buy the set this time (2004 editions), I wouldn't feel justified buying the whole thing over again, even if all they did was correct the gaffes in that release (like the saber color inconsistencies and the "creative audio decisions").

Even though it sounds silly to many of us, to the "collector" who likes the way his set looks on the shelf, these kinds of things matter. For packaging, honestly the amray style keepcase is still the best thing as far as I'm concerned. Some of the packaging of various sets is appealing (like the LOTR EE packages) but ultimately it's the keepcases that will last... plus they are easily replaceable if they somehow do get marred, scuffed or otherwise damaged aesthetically. Can't say the same for these other packages.

Of course a person could always do some scanning and take your designs to the copyshop, produce some glossies, and go that route, making your own cover designs and transferring your collection into keepcases, and put your "collector's boxes" up on a shelf/in the vault where they won't be touched by human hands, etc.

I'd guess a prequel trillogy next year, and a 6 film trilogy a year or two after that. Then a HD version a year or two after that. Then, once there is nothing else to re-release, maybe an original OT versions set after that.

Gotta say that even though I thought RotS was the best of the PT I'm not exactly rushing out to get the dvd like I was with Ep2 (or even Batman Begins).

The main reason I might want a 6 film boxset would be if they fixed the problems with the existing OT releases (bad sound mix on ANH etc..)

--

Though at least this time when my entire collection becomes outdated (as it did when they replaced VHS with DVD) I'll be able to rip all my dvds onto a hard drive (whould be big enough by then) and have a pretty impressive library in a small package, then I might be a bit more selective about which HD-DVDs I decide to buy that I've already got.

I'll probably wait until the hi-def versions make their appearance... unless the new box set has a ton of never-before-seen "value-added" content, such as another 6 DVDs or more worth of every second of behind-the-scenes footage ever shot of the entire series. In that case I would get it and give my existing copies away to younger family members.

Short of something like that, I think I can wait for the next-gen formats.

But lets all see how much G.L. tinkers with all the films again for a new release. In theory, since he's "done" with Star Wars, and is going to move on to a bunch of new projects, these should be the final versions of the films, ever.

But I'll believe it when I don't see it...

I've heard of plenty of people already rushing out to buy/order the "limited edition" DVD set, even though they KNOW it's identical to the previously released 2004 set, minus the Bonus Disc (so you're actually getting LESS content) and just different cover art (the old poster art designs, with "limited edition" printed on them... so essentially you could have photoshopped them yourself!).

Now when Lucas released the same exact VHS sets multiple times, one could argue "oh well perhaps people's tapes had been worn down from watching it so much" but DVD's? C'mon. That's silly.

Oh sure, he sweetened the deal with the old VHS tapes by including a couple of minutes of "behind the scenes" teaser for Episode I and then Episode II, and people bought it just for that. There's always some excuse.

I couldn't justify buying all 6 dvd's again, even if he made improvements to half of them. I couldn't justify buying all three movies for minor improvements either. But each to his own. Some fans have more money to burn I guess!

I know when it comes to Star Trek, many fans reason that they are 'supporting' the franchise by buying the latest merchandise, even if it's not very good, and that they are thus encouraging better merchandise in the future. I don't buy this reasoning, but I wonder if some Star Wars fans also buy into this? You know, maybe they think that if they buy another set of DVDs that it will make Lucas want to release the originals?

Rather I would think it would make him go "wow, all I did was change the label and they bought the exact product again! This is too easy, maybe I'll do even less work next time..." (and if Lucas himself isn't thinking that you know 20th Century Fox or some exec board is thinking that).

Now the whole "next generation format" thing has yet to be resolved, so I guess Lucas is hoping in 2 years it will be. Otherwise he's going to have to release his "monster set" on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Hasn't 20th Century Fox already signed up for one? I know a few companies said they'd support both until there was a clear "winner." And there may even be hybrid players...

But otherwise it's going to really piss off fans of one format to get snubbed. Anyway, most people have DVD, few people have the capabilities for the other two yet. Now obviously super modern PC's may be first, but otherwise they still seem mostly confined to the "home theater" crowd, much like LaserDisk was...

I know for a fact that Lucas is not "done" with Star Wars. He already has claimed he's going to create a '3-D version' of the saga. Would he honestly just transfer the 2004 editions to a new format and release as is? I doubt he has that kind of self control. He'll make some changes, rest assured. Will they be good or bad? Given his track record, some will be good, others not so good.

Yeah, I didn't even get the SEs when they were released. I had just gotten that OT theatrical cut boxset from '95 and there was no way we were gonna get them 'redone' in '97. Someone got me the ANH SE for a gift and that's as much that ever happened with those. They even rereleased the SEs later on on VHS and I had an eye on them but once again we opted not to get it. We already had the OT on tape. So now with us having the OT on DVD, we refuse to buy any more versions unless, as said already, he retrogresses to the originals cuts. I want Boba's real voice back!

You don't have to create any new content at all... just take the existing DVD's, toss them into a big carboard thing and sell it for $100 and people will buy it.
Well, they have already made Yoda in TPM digital, so likely the box set will indeed have new content.

As far as I know this is just a simple repackaging of the existing DVDs without the bonus disk. As such if you already have the DVDs you don't need it. The packaging does look nicer though.

They wouldn't be the pure '97 editions, because those look terrible in comparisson to the new 2003 DVD editions. They Definately won't be the Original Cuts.

Its mildly possible they will fix the video/audio problems from the original DVD releases, but since they always claimed those were intentional I doubt it.

The only reason i'd consider picking them up is if they fix the problems.

--

OT, but i wonder if video will go like audio? They will be pushingthe HD stuff hard, but frankly (especially with old films) DVD resolution is fine. I wonder if we will see a move like we did with MP3s to consumers prefering "good enough" quality and small size over "best quality" and huge size? Especially if people start downloading more shows and start storing them in media centres like they currently do with Ipods.

Well, they have already made Yoda in TPM digital, so likely the box set will indeed have new content.

I don't have the ROTS DVD, but I thought that was just an "experimental shot" there was no announcement that they had actually entirely replaced the Yoda muppet with the digital Yoda throughout the film, and so we get one "test shot" that's it.

In any case, I wouldn't re-buy TPM just for that either. For years of course Lucas denied there was ever going to be a "Special Edition" of Episode I. But he's been known to change his mind...

Another problem with the TPM DVD was that the sharpness contrast is cranked way up (compare it to the OT DVD's or AOTC and you'll see its too much), which means on bigger screens you'll notice it a lot more. They apparently figured people would be viewing it on smaller screens and wouldn't care. ;P

But, like the gaffes in the OT DVD box set, they're unlikely to spend the "millions of dollars" it would take to fix such a mistake in time for a new release. If a prequel box set comes out this year, my money's on it being the DVD's as they are inserted into a big cardboard box.

Incidentally, it seems like he held off on the big changes to ESB until the 2004 Editions. I mean we got the Emperor replaced AND Boba's new voice in the latest edition. Prior to that it was the least tinkered with of the SE's.

As far as I know this is just a simple repackaging of the existing DVDs without the bonus disk. As such if you already have the DVDs you don't need it. The packaging does look nicer though.

You are correct, the "Limited Edition Star Wars Trilogy Box Set" (3 discs) coming out now (December?) is identical to the 2004 Box set, in different packaging and no bonus disc. The box art is just like the old VHS covers (which was like the movie posters) and is the same art featured on the discs themselves in both editions.

I've already got high quality digital scans of the posters on my hard drive, so I could make these covers if I wanted to for current set. ;)

They wouldn't be the pure '97 editions, because those look terrible in comparisson to the new 2003 DVD editions. They Definately won't be the Original Cuts.

You're right, they weren't restored to the same degree. Many have pointed out that the color timing is off in several places throughout the new cuts (blue stormtroopers, super blue r2d2, super green yoda, pasty skinned Leia, wrong saber colors, etc), but overall they do look much nicer than the 1997 editions (which were restored, but not to the degree that the 2004 editions were).

The Special Editions and the Original Cuts were never released officially on DVD, only VHS, VCD and Laser Disk. Numerous bootlegs and fan creations exist of course...

Its mildly possible they will fix the video/audio problems from the original DVD releases, but since they always claimed those were intentional I doubt it.

They aren't fixed on the "Limited Editions." We'd have heard about it by now if they were. People were also hoping that the original cuts were included in the Limited Edition pack. This is also false, unfortunately. All they did was throw the 2004 Discs into a different box and throw out disc 4.

The only reason i'd consider picking them up is if they fix the problems.

Sadly, they don't though.

OT, but i wonder if video will go like audio? They will be pushingthe HD stuff hard, but frankly (especially with old films) DVD resolution is fine.

Most people think so. Without high quality HD equipment you won't be able to take advantage of the higher resolution anyway. On a digital TV (converted for HD compatability) HD will only look about as good as DVD.

DVD itself will look better on an HD Tv than a standard TV, so it won't be like it's useless. I imagine they'll make hybrid players as well (like they do now for VHS & DVD).

From VHS to DVD was a dramatic jump in quality and people could see it. The jump from DVD to HD is less noticable for the average consumer, and the price is a huge difference. Would you buy a $2000 TV plus reciever just to get what appears to be only a marginal increase in quality? Plus there's the fiasco with plasma screen TVs and people getting burned that way. So there's plenty of problems still with "converting" everyone from DVD over to some new standard. I honestly don't care enough to want to buy all my movies again on a new format, even if I could afford it!

Obviously some people do, but I think this is the small demographic, just like the LD community was in its heyday.

I wonder if we will see a move like we did with MP3s to consumers prefering "good enough" quality and small size over "best quality" and huge size? Especially if people start downloading more shows and start storing them in media centres like they currently do with Ipods.

Could be. A lot of business models that go with downloaded content have failed. Some are still going. To many people it's still more convenient to just buy the stuff already put together for you rather than having to download something for hours or days and/or having to rip, encode, burn stuff. The college student demographic loves that stuff though, but part of it could be chalked up to the fact that they can get the stuff for free (legal or not).

Portability is nice, you have the UMD's which are horrible quality and lacking in features, and yet more portable (slightly) than DVD's. And VCD's were really popular in Asia, despite being worse quality than VHS. So I guess it all depends on your audience's expectations. Asia is satured with low cost, low quality merchandise, and that seems to be what people want there. Here I think you've sold people on DVD, but selling them on a higher standard will take some time.

If they are watching the news, weather and sports in High Def on their HD TV every day and it looks better than their DVD movies, they might eventually say "you know, I wish I could watch these movies and they'd look ever better than this" (or watching movies on TV and they look better than their DVD's). And if they get this DRM idoicy out of the way and have an easy to use, affordable recordable format, then it may take off.

I thought that the new limited edition OT DVDs is a different version than the original DVDs. I was thinking it was either like the vhs release from 95 or 97... But I could be wrong I guess.

You're wrong. They're identical to the ones that came out in 2004, but you're missing the 3 1/2 hours of bonus content ("Empire of Dreams" special), the Xbox SWBF1 demo, the SWBF1 trailer, the Episode III Preview or the ROTS Video game preview (ie: all the content on Disc 4).

If you want the best DVD set out now, you'd be better served finding an old copy of the 2004 Box set, not this limited edition BS. It's probably cheaper now too. If not in stores, check amazon, or whatever.

You're wrong. They're identical to the ones that came out in 2004, but you're missing the 3 1/2 hours of bonus content ("Empire of Dreams" special), the Xbox SWBF1 demo, the SWBF1 trailer, the Episode III Preview or the ROTS Video game preview (ie: all the content on Disc 4).
I see. That's too bad. I don't get why they would re-release it with the same DVDs and don't even include the bonus disk...

If you want the best DVD set out now, you'd be better served finding an old copy of the 2004 Box set, not this limited edition BS. It's probably cheaper now too. If not in stores, check amazon, or whatever.
I already have the 2004 DVDs. I was just hoping this set would be a different edition so I would have an excuse to get it. Looks like not though...

Yeah, I saw this when I was watching the bonus disk. I didn't really like it. I mean yeah I love that they made Yoda digital for Episodes II and III so he could do the lightsaber fights, but I think he looked better as a puppet in TPM. So I kind of hope this is just a test like Kurgan said and they're not gonna include it when they re-release all the movies in one box. Though I guess I'll still have my original TPM VHS (no DVD of that one :() if I still want to see puppet Yoda once the new box set of the PT comes out.

The thing is that Puppet Yoda (TPM edition) looks nothing like Puppet Yoda (ESB edition)... I guess they tried to make him look younger or something, but they failed horribly IMO. Not to mention that a mere 30, or so, years wouldn't make much of a difference on a 800+ year old muppet. The color was wrong, he had too much hair and hi faced looked like it had been run over by a train. I think replacing him with the cg version from episodes II and III was the best solution.

God... it's good to be back ! I couldn't stand that freakin' 56k anymore ! :p

Indeed. The whole digital Yoda replacing the puppet was practice for the ILM guys to perfect the digi-Yoda in Sith, and I can't wait to see him in all his glory in Menace. I think once he's fixed, the only problem with the movie will be Binks having about 10 minutes more screentime than he should.

The trouble with CG Yoda is that despite how great he looks, he still doesn't look like OT Yoda (much like how the CG Jabba in 2004 ANH doesn't look like ROTJ Jabba).

Improved yes, like the real deal? Nope. At least TPM Yoda had the same puppet-like qualities of classic Yoda.

In any case, we should all realize that at this point there is no proof that a "revised" version of TPM is coming to DVD with a digital Yoda. That's all speculation at this point. Given Lucas's track record, any prequel box set that would come out in the next year would probably just be what we've seen already. I'm not sure how long it would take them to replace all of Yoda in TPM with the new CG puppet, but I imagine they wouldn't be able to pull it off in time for a 2005 release, unless they already had it done.

They may be doing this as much to test the public's reaction as to show their own experiment. ;)

Archived