Home

Complete Star Wars Saga DVD Boxset?

jon_hill987

@ Kurgan: Real deal? What is 'real'? The CG Yoda shares more of a likeness to the original puppet Yoda than TPM Yoda did, that is why people generally like CG Yoda a lot better. TPM Yoda strayed too far from how people see Yoda, it doesn't matter if it's puppet or CG, it's just the fact that what we see doesn't look like what we expect that makes TPM Yoda the least popular.

What is "real"? Well "real" is the original article, which is the Yoda from the classic trilogy we all knew and loved for the past 19 years before there were any prequels.

He's far less expressive and far more limited than CG Yoda. Does that mean he's inferior? Like it or not, he's "the face of Yoda" to millions of fans, and how he's always looked. Why didn't the artists make either of the two Prequel Yodas look more like him? Who knows. One might also ask why the Tantive IV and the Death Star don't like more like the original articles from Star Wars...

What do people "expect"? The only reason they could "expect CG Yoda" is because he's been in two movies, whereas TPM Yoda has only been in one. The OT puppet Yoda is different than both of them and establishes what Yoda "looks like" because it existed before.

Guessing people's expectations is a tricky process. Does this help explain why Lucas changed Palpatine's appearance in ESB? Perhaps, though we could also argue consistency. Does it explain why he changed Anakin's ghost in ROTJ? Maybe. People may "expect" all kinds of things, for all we know.

Even though I haven't seen the poll data indicating overwhelming approval of the change, I'm sure you're right, that this is what the people want. But until it's officially announced I would NOT assume he's automatically in the next copy of TPM going on the shelves. I guess that's the main thing. All sorts of rumors fly about changes to Star Wars, thanks to George's past actions, but we should know what we're really buying.

I'm not so much upset with Lucas's tampering with his movies again (it's only been six years since Episode I came out, four since the DVD), it's the idea of him making an excuse to "double-dip" Episode I now. Still, it's not like such a change would really improve that movie and raise it above its mediocre status in the Star Wars heirarchy for me (or for many others I imagine). And then there's the annoying idea that fans really would rush out and buy another copy if it meant one change like this that makes me think George really would do it.

Now if they say on the ROTS DVD "This is how Yoda will look in the next release of Episode I on DVD" then that officially ends any discussion... ;)

Whoa... i'm starting to feel i'm not enough of an expert on the incarnations of Yoda!

There were lots of things about TPM that sucked, and lots of the changes they have made over the years have bugged me, but I can't say I really noticed any problems with any version of Yoda. I obviouslt wasn't paying enough attention.

There is of course color variation, but that is because the PT is shot in a much more vibrant colour palette than the OT. Thats part of where a few of the colour problems in the OT DVD set came from, because they have majorly cranked up the colours in the OT DVDs to try and make them match the newer PT films.

Updating SFX in films can be cool in keeping them up to date, but its also a fairly unending exercise. As effects improve the olderones start to age immediately. Everyone thought the CGi in the '97 editions was great, but within a year it looked terrible. the '04 editions look better, but in a year or too they too will have dated. TPM wasn't that long ago, and at the time (no matter what you thought of the plot and acting) the SFX blew everyone away. Now already they are wanting to update the SFX. Its a never ending loop and at some point you just have to jump off and stick with what you have.

@ Kurgan: According to Lucas, real isn't necessarily the original article... and he's in a much higher position than you or I are on the ladder. AOTC Yoda and ROTS Yoda is more accepted, because, like I said, it seemed more like ESB and ROTJ puppet Yoda than the TPM puppet Yoda did. I'm not trying to explain why they chose to make TPM puppet Yoda look the way he did. But we all know what the reaction was and a lot of people didn't think that TPM puppet Yoda looked like the Yoda that they recognised.

I wasn't in your discussion about "will Yoda be changed in TPM?" I was just saying that TPM Yoda wasn't as popular because of some key issues. Though if TPM Yoda IS changed, I'm all for it. I never said ESB and ROTJ puppet Yoda was inferior, all I said was that AOTC and ROTS Yoda resembled ESB and ROTJ Yoda more than TPM Yoda did and that's why fans seemed to like the CG Yoda a lot better than the TPM puppet.

You don't have to create any new content at all... just take the existing DVD's, toss them into a big carboard thing and sell it for $100 and people will buy it.

I would, i don't own any of them.

The only way I'll ever get another SW DVD is if it's the theatrical cuts of the the OT on DVD.

Not gonna happen, GL would never let it. he likes his new cuts better.

OT, but i wonder if video will go like audio? They will be pushingthe HD stuff hard, but frankly (especially with old films) DVD resolution is fine. I wonder if we will see a move like we did with MP3s to consumers prefering "good enough" quality and small size over "best quality" and huge size? Especially if people start downloading more shows and start storing them in media centres like they currently do with Ipods.

Arn't DVD's already in HD anyway? when you watch them on a PC they use up all of 1024 width they don't get resized from 512 lines up to fit your screen do they. I thought it was just DVD players that didn't have HD outputs for HD TV's yet.

DVD's are nowhere near HD.

DVD's use a 720x480 resolution. (widescreen, because we all know fullscreen doesn't count. ;) ) That is far from HD resolutions which is usually within the 1000's. Your common HD resolutions are in the 2000 range, I think Lucas filmed Sith in the 3000's though.

Scratch that, that's new standard of HD in the works. [/mind funk]

DVD's are nowhere near HD.

DVD's use a 720x480 resolution. (widescreen, because we all know fullscreen doesn't count. ;) ) That is far from lower HD resolutions which is usually within the 1000's. Your common HD resolutions are in the 2000 range, I think Lucas filmed Sith in the 3000's though.

You you are saying that when I watch DVD's on my PC it is scaled up from 720x480 to 1024xwhatever? I i can't beleive that is true because if I try to watch a DVD with my resolution set at 800x600 the player tells me to adjust my resolution for better results.

Well PAL is generally bigger, so you might have 8**x5**.

But even then it's nowhere near HD.

Sorry, forgot you were in the UK and I didn't use PAL res, though I can't exactly remember their resolutions.

But anyway, back on topic. You can always trade in your DVD's and get the saga pack.

Strange thing I've learnt today... It seems that the Episode I: The Phantom Menace DVD has been discontinued due to a "rerelease" at least that's what every single store clerk has been telling me when I was looking for it today.

But since no news of this has shown up for the US I'm thinking this is just some sort of Australian thing to do with production of DVDs, etc...

I'm not so much upset with Lucas's tampering with his movies again (it's only been six years since Episode I came out, four since the DVD), it's the idea of him making an excuse to "double-dip" Episode I now. Still, it's not like such a change would really improve that movie and raise it above its mediocre status in the Star Wars heirarchy for me (or for many others I imagine). And then there's the annoying idea that fans really would rush out and buy another copy if it meant one change like this that makes me think George really would do it.

If they remove most of the scenes with Jar-Jar Binks, I'm all for a "double-dip." (or would you call that a half dip :p)

There were some cool fan-made cuts of TPM around a few years back, but I never saw them in a decent format (usually low quality Realplayer *shudder*). I'd been hoping there was a decent high-quality DivX version of them around somewhere, but I never found one.

Archived