Home

Linux Server Support

Stryker412

Would you like Linux supported for Battlefront 2 servers?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Linux supported for Battlefront 2 servers?

• Yes, it is the only OS I run my servers on!
    • No, I use Windows and the current server files meet my needs.
    • I'm not an admin and it makes no difference to me whether or not Linux is involved.

How about an option for "I use Windows servers but would like to see Linux support"? ;) We use Windows 2003 server exclusively for all of our game servers, and it works great for us. But I understand the need for Linux servers to make a game successful in the long run. I voted honestly here, but despite the fact that I did not vote for Linux, Linux support is a good thing.

This game does need linux support.

Not for the sake of satisfying some weird fanboys, but to get some more servers up and running. It would be pessimistic to say that there'll be at least twice as many servers after the release of a linux server software.

For Christ's sake just stop ignoring us, Pandemic. That would be a big step for a start. Deliberatly not answering these calls might hide the downside of the glorious Battlefront 2 .. but on the long term it'll ruin the whole game once more.

I myself didn't buy the game so far and I'm not planning to, unless there'll be some long term potential.

This game does need linux support.

Not for the sake of satisfying some weird fanboys, but to get some more servers up and running. It would be pessimistic to say that there'll be at least twice as many servers after the release of a linux server software.

For Christ's sake just stop ignoring us, Pandemic. That would be a big step for a start. Deliberatly not answering these calls might hide the downside of the glorious Battlefront 2 .. but on the long term it'll ruin the whole game once more.

I myself didn't buy the game so far and I'm not planning to, unless there'll be some long term potential.

I'm working very hard to make sure that there is.

I only run Linux servers for games. The cost is much lower and the stability is the best.

SWBF1 was a failure about servers. I liked the game a lot and when i was going to run a server for our community i found i was losing my time.

I hope to see a linux version of the ded. server once it's released. Just see how popular are the battlefield servers because of that.

I would vote yes to linux but not for the reason that it is the only OS on which I run server applications.

If there is some demonstrable benefit to using Linux over windows for hosting games, then sure, I would use it. For example, could I reasonably expect to host more players on a linux OS than on a windows OS, using the same hardware? I'm not asking rhetorically. I would seriously like to know if there is any evidence that linux is more efficient and can handle more clients than windows on the same hardware.

I don't know about hosting more players on a server with the same hardware, but I personally use FreeBSD (a flavor of *nix) for security reasons. I simply refuse to put a server out there with all the security holes that are in windows. I really want a *nix port of the server...friends hosting off of their DSL connection just isn't very fun. I've got a few OC3's running to my box, and I'd really like to be able to play on it. Please make me a *nix server.

Yeah, guess thats typical and natural situation. In case of our Order (SW gaming clan+SW organisation) linux server is "to be or not to be" for SWBF2 as well, as it was for SWBF. No linux server- we don't even have a way to give it a shot. If devs think it's not worth it then it's their problem... Being unable to play SWBF2 is not that much of a problem for us- there's always JK series out there with apiropriate mods like Movie Battles II and with linux server support.

That sounds a bit like some kind of blackmail, but it's not one - just pointing out importance of having unix server binaries implemented for LEC and Pandemic. Don't just try to cash game at sales, try to keep it popular and going.

Well after talking back and forth with a Lucasarts Producer, it seems as though a Linux server is unlikely. I tried to express the importance to us as server admins, but they claim that Pandemic does not have the resources to devote to it right now. So here's to another Battlefront without Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for linux server...

I wont be supporting lucas anymore if one doesen't come because I refuse to use windows as dedicated server.

I was able to get the the dedicated server running under wine but I also refuse to run gnome + wine on my linux box. The performance with running it under wine was also (as expected) terrible.

Also if I may refer any lucas developers to Netcraft.com and also here and if you didint know that Linux is the the OS of choice for dedicated servers then SLAP. Hell I bet your CVS or Subversion server is running Linux. Your nightly backups are processed by a Linux computer. You webserver used to run Linux now its running Freebsd (link here)

I and others shoulden't need to be posting about this.. but apparently.....

I just wish Lucasarts would actually put all of their effort into a game and not consistently make half-@ssed games. The idea that they won't even consider making linux support for this game just goes to show that LA can't compete with REAL game producers.

I hate to say it, but the fact that the game has "STAR WARS" on the front gurantees it is going to sell, whether or not they want to actually make decent games is up to them. I like Battlefront 2 but to nubtastically disregard the actual SW gamers and their cry for linux support just shows a lack of responsibility.

I just wish Lucasarts would actually put all of their effort into a game and not consistently make half-@ssed games. The idea that they won't even consider making linux support for this game just goes to show that LA can't compete with REAL game producers.

I hate to say it, but the fact that the game has "STAR WARS" on the front gurantees it is going to sell, whether or not they want to actually make decent games is up to them. I like Battlefront 2 but to nubtastically disregard the actual SW gamers and their cry for linux support just shows a lack of responsibility.

Well said. (bump)

You robots are a disgrace to this university! Whenever a fire alarm is pulled, Robot House. Whenever the campus liquor store is looted, Robot House. Whenever a human corpse is desacrated-

GIVE US ANSWERS! Ill just keep posting until this thread gets locked..

Um, you do realise that this isn't the official LucasArts forum, don't you? I really hope that you didn't PM all of the other administrators as well as me with the URL to this thread -- none of us work for LucasArts or Pandemic.

Hmm, I already replied to this (per the PM). I'd love a Linux server as much as anyone. I have no control over what happens, and even if I did, I don't know the first thing about linux programming. ;P

The number of servers now is bigger than SWBF1, but with no mod tools, no patch, and no linux server, it will dwindle and remain small like the first game before long.

The average lifespan of a game is 4 months with nothing to keep it going, so we're 1/4th of the way to dead right now. Let's hope Pandemic/LucasArts doesn't let that happen.

The first step to ensuring that MP prospers is a linux distribution. The second is some decent patches to fix bugs, and finally the decision to allow editing and the release of some basic modding tools. LucasArts constantly trumpets the supposedly massive sales of the first game (though they hide behind the simultaneous sales with Star Wars DVDs, so perhaps the sales figures are exaggerated... what are they afraid of??). Yet this game will die if it relies solely on single player to sell it. Don't they realize how popular good multiplayer games can be? Popularity breeds loyalty.

SWBF2 was sold on Episode III hype and the SWBF1 name alone. There was no PC demo!

People will be far less likely to buy any future sequels or spinoffs if all they can ever expect from it is single player and then and end of support after the game comes out.

Archived