Home

Linux Server Support

Stryker412

Would you like Linux supported for Battlefront 2 servers?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Linux supported for Battlefront 2 servers?

• Yes, it is the only OS I run my servers on!
    • No, I use Windows and the current server files meet my needs.
    • I'm not an admin and it makes no difference to me whether or not Linux is involved.

Well I was talking to a rep from Lucasarts for a bit. We went back and forth via e-mail. I even gave him a name of someone who could do the linux code in their sleep. He did CoD, UT, AA, and a few other games. However, their claim is they don't have the resources to do it. So, unfortunately there's just nothing we can do and Pandemic has already moved on to other games. So we'll get 1 patch soon, then that will be it.

• 5 weeks later...

For the love of God.. YES!!! Get us some linux server files! My members are about to tear me apart to get them a BF_II server! We're anxious to branch! =)

The 28+ members of AoF are interested in hosting a BF_2 server, as well as many of the 400+ members in our forums. The interest is there, thus far the support is not. Help us keep the Star Wars gaming communities strong!

Well after talking back and forth with a Lucasarts Producer, it seems as though a Linux server is unlikely. I tried to express the importance to us as server admins, but they claim that Pandemic does not have the resources to devote to it right now. So here's to another Battlefront without Linux.

Just an FYI they said the same thing when SWBF 1 came out as well. Personally I think they are just to dam lazy and don't want to make multiple servers so they dont have to maintain multiple severs. But if you look at the games with both *nix and Winblows version of the server the games stay longer and the community grows bigger. But hey what the hell do I know I played Galaxies for over a year and got fubared on that one.

Plus I have only ever run one server that was not *nix and that was for Raven shield but all my other games have been on *nix. The security is better for the servers and the cost is a hell of a lot better for *nix servers then for Winblows. Well if you keep winblows legal that is.

Just my 2 credits

They don't need to offer anything. Give us the linux server files. The hosting companies set up the rest on their end. We sign up for a server or we use a currently rented one in our possession.

Not putting out a linux dedicated server file is probably one of the most irresponsible things they have done. That and not using the vastly superior UT engine or HL engine for some of their FPS games. :swear:

If they are going to continue creating games, they need to open their eyes to the communities that spring up around them.

Want loyal customers? Be a loyal company and don't half-ass the game. ^_^

Archived