Home

Opinions On Naval Combat

Darth Andrew

Yes to naval battles.

I don't think we need water-specific units. They are never mentioned anywhere in the Star Wars universe, or at least I have never heard of them, so I don't know why they

would include them in this game. So I guess I don't want them either.

Yes, they are mentioned. The ones I can think of are:

• The Imperial Waveskimmer.
  • The Alliance Amphibian.
  • The Imperial World Devastator.
  • The Coral Wanda (a submarine).
  • The Gungan boat (My God, watch Episode I! No, wait... Don't:p).

Fighters, bombers, and air transports can't replace boats and ships. If they can, then it's funny that so many countries are developing new boats and ships in reality when we have state-of-the-art helicopters, fighters, and other aircraft like AWACS planes.

Star Destroyers that land on water? What's wrong with comic book authors these days? Victory-class ships can enter a planet's atmosphere, but are not amphibious. Imperator-class ships (the ones in the movies) are certainly not capable of atmospheric entry.

I'll put it this way, its fine for planetary forces to have naval units, but its not really feasible for a galactic miliatary to have them on a large scale, mostly for logistics, it how do they move them, how do they get them into the water from space without damaging them

I'll put it this way, its fine for planetary forces to have naval units, but its not really feasible for a galactic miliatary to have them on a large scale, mostly for logistics, it how do they move them, how do they get them into the water from space without damaging them

The same way they move the V - Wing and the Walkers. Drop Ships or already established bases.

And Windu - tell that to the Trade Federation on Naboo and the Imperials on Mon Calamari and Corellia.

Yes to naval battles.

Yes, they are mentioned. The ones I can think of are:

• The Imperial Waveskimmer.
  • The Alliance Amphibian.
  • The Imperial World Devastator.
  • The Coral Wanda (a submarine).
  • The Gungan boat (My God, watch Episode I! No, wait... Don't:p).

Fighters, bombers, and air transports can't replace boats and ships. If they can, then it's funny that so many countries are developing new boats and ships in reality when we have state-of-the-art helicopters, fighters, and other aircraft like AWACS planes.

Star Destroyers that land on water? What's wrong with comic book authors these days? Victory-class ships can enter a planet's atmosphere, but are not amphibious. Imperator-class ships (the ones in the movies) are certainly not capable of atmospheric entry.

It wasn't a Star destroyer. It was an Acclamator. Smaller then any and very possibly anphibious

Juggernaut - then they aren't Naval units are they? They're just Land units that can go over water, which funnily enough I already pointed out.

Eagle - aside from the Bongo, those are all PEU (Pure EU). As for replacing ships with aircraft in the modern world you are right, it can't be done (yet). However, we're not talking about the modern world, we're talking about Star Wars where space is also a combat theatre. You also have to remember that Aircraft/Spacecraft in SW have a massive cargo capacity, unlike Earth's current air transport vehicles. I mean, even as big as it is, an An-225 can only carry a few MBT's, yet a Republic Assault Ship can carry a full load of troops, armour and artillery.

Logain - not a bad idea actually. Also makes sense that single-planet forces would have Naval units while Galactic forces don't.

Dude - there is nothing in the films about the Imperals on Corellia or 'Mon Calamari' (still sounds like a seafood-buffet planet...). As fothe Trade Federation, they didn't need Naval units. As we see in RotS, some droid units can go under water so if they have that capability, why spend credits on limited-use Naval units?

I'll put it this way, its fine for planetary forces to have naval units, but its not really feasible for a galactic miliatary to have them on a large scale, mostly for logistics, it how do they move them, how do they get them into the water from space without damaging them.

Yeah, I wonder about that every time I see a photo of the Bismarck. How the Hell did the Germans get her down from orbit:rolleyes:?!

Maybe they build them on the planet/moon? In planetary shipyards? Like we do today?

Hence why the imperial starforce is called the imperial navy

The Imperial Navy is called such because it's the navy of Imperial space. It's got nothing to do with Maritime Navies. Don't jump to conclusions.

galactic forces dont need a navy

Then it's very odd that they build them.

Rebels have amphibian patrol boats, Imperials have massive World Devastators, and so on.

As for walkers taking the place of ships: Nope. Ships can patrol the open seas, walkers can't.

Besides, there are way too few RTS games with naval combat out there.

why would you need to patrol the sea when you can blast anythnig in it from orbit?

also since i've never read any of the books that have the World Devastators in it, i've always thought of them as space ships capable of entering the atmosphere

and you bismarck comment makes no sense to me

Yeah, I wonder about that every time I see a photo of the Bismarck. How the Hell did the Germans get her down from orbit:rolleyes:?!

...huh? I'm sure this makes sense to someone, but not to me. Since Bismark was built in a drydock and not orbit I fail to see how it relates to the argument.

Then it's very odd that they build them.

Rebels have amphibian patrol boats, Imperials have massive World Devastators, and so on.

Prove that they build/built them. If Naval units are so common, why do we see only one, non-combat naval unit?

As for walkers taking the place of ships: Nope. Ships can patrol the open seas, walkers can't.

Irrelevant. Walkers can control territory, ships cannot. As long as you control the land it doesn't matter if your enemy has a Navy. After all, ships have to resupply and refuel every now and then and if they have no docks, they will fall without you having to do anything. Also, if there are any floating bases or whatnot, Aircraft can easily take care of them without the need for a Navy.

Besides, there are way too few RTS games with naval combat out there.

So because other RTS' have ignored Naval combat, this un-StarWarsy concept should be forced onto the game? I think not.

Archived