Home

The immortality of heroes??

Naja

Should heroes be respawnable after they are killed?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should heroes be respawnable after they are killed?

• No, they should stay dead.
    • Yes, you should be able to bring them back to life.

And I don't know about anybody else, but I don't want a game where one unit like Luke could charge a squad of AT-AT's and remain unscathed. I would find it frustrating if I directed all my firepower to one hero and still didn't destroy it. If they're going to be that powerful and that hard to kill, they better not be respawnable.
Well, I think this is a little extreme. I wasn't trying to say that they would be invincible, I just meant that they would be re-spawnable. But see my previous post, I'm not sure whether I like them to be respawnable anymore...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, being both a huge RTS AND Star Wars fan, think heroes should be excluded altogether from the game. It would take away from the strategic element in the game. I mean, i think you should be able to use commnder to help improve your forces morale or firpower or defensive capabilities, but i dont believe luke or vader should be able to walk onto the battleifeld and simply blow away entire squads of infantry and vehicles into oblivion. That would just be wrong and stupid.

I also dont think respawned heroes should come into play. This game is supposed to let you make your own star Wars storyline, and respawnable heroes would imply that there was already a preset storlyline for you to follow because vader and luke dont die in the movies.

I, being both a huge RTS AND Star Wars fan, think heroes should be excluded altogether from the game. It would take away from the strategic element in the game.

BattleDamage, I have to disagree. Heroes is one of the elements of the game, and without them it would make it a different game. Almost all RTS games have heroes in them.

but i dont believe luke or vader should be able to walk onto the battleifeld and simply blow away entire squads of infantry and vehicles into oblivion.
This won't happen, they won't be this powerful.

"Gameplay>Realism for those of you who are a bit slow on the intake."

Thats a cliche not an argument.

and don't you think heros being immortal could hurt gameplay? It could distract from using your regular military units and you could become to dependent on heros. You should be catious hving to use heros, not being able to say "Hey I can use my hero here, I am just going to get him back anyway"

its actually quite simple, they code the game to have the heros respawning, they then code in a switch, respawn = off or respawn = on

I was being sarcastic:p.

The problem I would have would be being too careful with them.

Not at all. Have you played games where heroes are mortal, such as WarCraft III, Dominions II, and so on?

what will happen when all the n00bs join and say, "Why cant I use Vader, he only gets PWNeD". Do you want that? Didnt think so.

Overhear them. That's what the Galactic Conquest developer team did when they repeatedly were spammed by whiners wanting Jedi, parachutes, jet packs, and so on. Whiners have ruined enough games as it is, so just ignore them until they start discussing the topic with intelligence and rational arguments.

Gameplay>Realism for those of you who are a bit slow on the intake.

Already addressed. Read the whole thread before replying.

I, being both a huge RTS AND Star Wars fan, think heroes should be excluded altogether from the game.

[Hugs BattleDamage]

*prays that this aspect will at LEAST be moddable*

Joins in.

Guest DarthMaulUK

In Rebellion, heroes could not be killed. They could be captured. Remember, Rebellion didnt actually have any ground battles, and heroes were used for the benefit of combat by assigning them a rank of Admiral, General, commander etc to give your fleets and ground assault troops a bonus in attacks.

DMUK

Dagobahn Eagle = #1 lol

He has a point guys and when heroes die they DIE! But maybe you'll be able to bionicly recreate a body like they did for darth father. (If they're on time) This offcourse would be incredibly difficult to do and would only work if you actually succeed in taking the planet you're fighting on. (or defending)

I don't know anything about battle for middle earth but I know in world of warcraft people usually attack the hero with everything they got! Even though they don't bring that much leverage! If they do the same thing here it'll probably be the same since most gamers out there use influences from other games to there advantage. I know I do from Age of empires II!

I would rather suggest that Luke in an X-wing would get a bonus or something in destroying a death star. maybe like +15% accuracy attacking a death star. Etc...

Simple upgrades!

PS

In rome total war if you play with an army long enough that doesn't have a general. After a while it's possible to adopt the captain of that army as a general! (It's not something you decide) but it would be cool to have some decorated 'soldiers' who give bonus to their squadron or whatever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

IF (which I do not like) they are respawnable, do NOT make them incredibly strong. EaW has implemented a battlecam for a reason! To see the battle from a cinematic point of view and not to see you're darth vader squash humans for hours at a time.

/Gary :)

Not at all. Have you played games where heroes are mortal, such as WarCraft III, Dominions II, and so on?
Yeah, I played Warcraft all the time, and the heroes are respawnable at the proper building. I think if EaW used a system similar to that it would be effective.

In my opinion heros staying dead would bring the better sense back into the game. As well all the RTS games I have played, have the heros being mortal. If they respawn though, I think if the game were to have a set time like after 10 battles or something. I support the mortality though because this game will have a sense of time, as said you can alter the events of ANH as well as after ROTS. Soon enough if a campaign is long enough that you can get to the Battle of Endor. If I can remember there are as well still some CIS forces out there that could be on planets as a nuetral force against both the Rebels and Imperials.

In Rebellion, heroes could not be killed. They could be captured. Remember, Rebellion didnt actually have any ground battles, and heroes were used for the benefit of combat by assigning them a rank of Admiral, General, commander etc to give your fleets and ground assault troops a bonus in attacks.

DMUK

That's odd, cause I've lost plenty, aswell as killed plenty. :confused:

Archived