Home

NGE on test centre - tell us your views

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having spent a couple of hours on the test server trying out all the NGE - it does appear that the entire game is just a clone of World Of Warcraft. Is that a bad thing? Who can say. However, although we can't confirm this yet, it does seem that you are stuck on a space station learning your skills until you reach level 10 (the free trial) then what happens after that, will be that you pay to play the game itself.

The worry is, as a Jedi 'profession', will I have to pay extra for the lightsabre, and how much extra will it cost to gain entry to other planets? We will only find all this out on November 15th when it all goes live, after just a handful of days on test centre.

DMUK

I have tested the NGE for a few hours i am currently on Tatooine at level 8, trying the missions, i have mixed feelings about the NGE but i prefer it to the CU i dont know why, i havent had enough time to give a detailed report, and there are a few issues that REALLY REALLY bug me, like the Master Bounty Hunters such as myself will no longer be able to hunt Jedi, now that in my opinion is really really really BAD...

and there are jedi everywhere on the TC i think i saw one other Bounty Hunter

Guest DarthMaulUK

If you look at the official forums - the profession threads. Theres no more than a couple of hundred postings between the 8 professions, then you look at the 9k postings in the Jedi forum! That sums it up.

When I say about things costing money, read the SOE dirty tricks thread.

DMUK

Is it going to cost as much as it will for a regular subscription? If it costs more I quit the game.... Also what if you just bought a subscription for SWG... Will that still be in affect when the NGE comes out??? Also I think it would be smart to have to pay for a lightsaber so that we dont have an over crouding of Jedi's...

Whoever thinks this NGE is a good thing, hold and think a second. Does this not remind you of launch when SWG came out for the first time? Do you not realise this is the circle all over again? SOE are not going to change and suddenly fix all the bugs and make the gameplay perfect. The game is going to be different now sure, and much much much MUCH worse in my opinion for countless reasons, but the way SOE work will stay the exact same. Promise things and never ever make those promises happen. Remove and weaken instead of adding and balancing. Continue to drive the game towards it's death, hell it's over the cliff now and on its way to the jagged rocks.

Han Sala, are you saying the rich kids who were lucky to be born to 2 successful parents in their careers, should only get to use the light sabers? Are you saying that the true Jedi players who went through the boring but challenging 6 months to achieve that profession are less worthy to wield a light saber than some kid who wants to spend his huge amount of daily pocketmoney for a laugh. Are you saying everyone should be an E-bay Jedi?

....Pardon me if I become angry at the moment, this game meant a lot to me because I can not have "a life" as some people have bluntly told me to get.......

No I think that it is frickin retarded that we have to start all over again but I think that for the people that just now wanna become Jedi should have to pay to own a Lightsaber but the people that are already Jedi should be able to keep everything that they own... I want to become a Jedi and I am not rich I am just saying what I think is right so that the Jedi population does not skyrocket.. Again trust me I am not rich I live in an apartment in Seattle and if I were rich I would be living in a kick (excuse my french) ass naborhood. And if you read everything that I said in my previous post I said that there should be charges for a Lightsaber so that there wont be "over crouding."

P.S. I am sorry to hear that you can't get a life.... But it Does not mean you need to take it out on a 14 year old kid... Jesh... Maybe you don't have a life becuase you dont pay attention to what people write!!!!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Firstly, lets keep the tone of this debate at a respectable level.

Secondly, current players will get a chance to respec their character upto 11 times (its actually 10, as the first one doesnt count when you login) so you can try out these new professions.

The point is, as I have been saying all along - Galaxies is awful. Its so far away from the Star Wars galaxy, you've room for a thousand banthas! The new Producer has seen this and decided upon revamping the game again because frankly, all the other revamps failed.

World Of Warcraft (WoW) hit the scene and was an instant success - the kind of success Star Wars should have, but doesnt as it just cant compete. The biggest challenge facing Galaxies will be content. So far, on test server, I remain unimpressed and it is extremely hard to form an opinion with so many bugs preventing you from actually enjoying the new experience. Yes it is the test centre - but with just over a week to go until it hits live, theres some MAJOR fixing to be done.

The new interface is horrible - the old Galaxies interface was extremely user friendly - probably the best part of the game, next to the off switch!

Cloning WoW might not be a bad thing for Galaxies, however, its going to be a rocky road until things improve but the biggest problem will be cost. This has been kept a dark secret and with SOE being so greedy, worries me if players will infact be charged more to play this and considering WoW is cheaper and actually has a developement team that knows what it is doing, SOE wont be able to charge much more at all

DMUK

Well we will see what happens on the 15th, but I seriously think it's going to be a terrible day for a lot of people and even more so for the cl 80 people who respec. As for SOE charging more, I wouldn't be suprised they would have the cheek to do it. Lastly I apologise to Han Sala I wasn't intentionly attacking you but rather aggressively questioning you :p It just feels like I was waiting in line for a queue for 6 months then suddenly as it's about to be my turn, the notice board rules change to "FreeForAll" and people from nowhere rush in and get what I was queueing for instantly.

Maybe this was a bad designing on SOEs part to have designed SWG as it was Pre CU and Pre CU2, but to a lot of people I know ingame and in real life, we liked what we saw and could see potentional, a lot of it. It saddens me they are not even going to bother creating a classic server like on CUday that a lot of people shouted out for, because they know most of the subscriptions will overload that server and theyll be proven wrong.

paying extra for weapons--and that includes lightsabers--and extra levels takes the game out of the relm of enjoyable and into the standard social setting of, "he who has the most money tends to get the best stuff."

the chances of stemming the tide of Jedi in this game are over and done with. there is really very little they can do about that now and charging people for LSs (to isolate just one profession) would only drive players to other games where paying for nice weapons only cost your time ingame and a bit of ingame money for help.

If the only way to enjoy a game is to constantly have to grab the ole credit card and do a transaction is the best that these yahoos can come up with then the future of SWG is even more limited than what many have said over the last week.

I understand, that on teh surface, this seems like a good idea, but you have to step back and look at the overall picture. RL money for weapons? when is it going to head into armor? foods? housing? ships? and any other part that a person can enjoy. in the end, little johnny will go to another game or drop online play all together because he just doesnt have the financial ability to compete with little timmy. what fun is that? knowing that you are sucked out of a game because timmy had a bigger bank account than you? its not, youll head over to something else.

now, keep in mind...Jedi are no longer the alpha class. in fact, there is no longer any alpha class. each profession has its strengths and weakness' sure, many will want to play a jedi, but that is no different than it was before....sure, the grind was a slight deterant, but nothing to stem the tide at all. in fact, teh biggest draw many had to being a jedi was teh second toon on the server without having to buy another sub. in fact, its the only reason i was working on my jedi.

financially, having to pay rl money for items in game will become a horrendous mode of play for many. right now, many spend only 15 a month. some of the really addicted spend 30-90 a month (thats 2-6 alternates). now, imagine the average player with one toon wanting ot get some nice weapons. I say weapons because a jedi will only need ONE lightsaber. a BH or Commando will need several. their cost in buying a couple of nice carbines, a rifle, pistol, nades, rocket launchers, etc can and will skyrocket their playing enjoyment and most probably put them into dire straits in conern with their bank account. so, those classes go bye bye as people migrate to the cheaper jedi profession.

I have to get back to work, but I hope you can see where i was heading with this. you always have to step back and view the overall. its probably why ive been a software tester/designer all these years. i try to see the whole code and not just one line.

I have been reading the SOE's forums this weekend, i haven't seen anything as of yet that said that with the new version of the game you had to keep paying to gain access to upgrades (weapons, classes, zones, ships)? what is the basis for this. The NGE was actually tempting enough reactivate my account but won't if i'm going to be limited and having to pay more money and not have the same access as all the other players.

I'm still,knwoing this was coming,still baffled as to why LA ans SOE went ahead with the CU....

It just makes little to no sense to me

Yea me too. They were trying to put a band-aid on a bleeding artery I guess. I thought that just maybe with this recent change that people would be at least halfway happy and that I would at least be "interested" in this game again. I guess after reading some threads here and abroad, things have gotten worse. Now the players will have to pay more for better equipment?!?!? How fair and logical is that?!?!? If that is in fact true, what a mess that's going to make.

I was hoping that you had some good news to report to us DMUK LOL. Rats!!!!! Oh well, guess I'll continue to lurk and wait until next time.....if there is a next time. :(

Guest DarthMaulUK
I have been reading the SOE's forums this weekend, i haven't seen anything as of yet that said that with the new version of the game you had to keep paying to gain access to upgrades (weapons, classes, zones, ships)? what is the basis for this. The NGE was actually tempting enough reactivate my account but won't if i'm going to be limited and having to pay more money and not have the same access as all the other players.

The actual first news story I posted tells us SOEs big plans to have a 'free' online game. They didnt say what this game was...but the story also goes onto say that there will be charges for extras items (such as weapons for example) and game levels.

Now, I find out that the game is infact Galaxies. Free play until level 10, $19.99 until level 30 - remember there will most probably be 90 levels (rumour) so to continue playing to reach level 80/90 - how much extra will it cost a month?

Because Galaxies is in such termoil, are they testing it to see how this new system works? The community has suffered alot in 12 months and proves SOEs total disregard for the Galaxies community with updates and fixes that cause offence.

I do welcome the changes but I am yet to be convinced if it will work because of SOEs track record and of course, cost to play is a worry and one that is still being kept a secret

DMUK

I suspect most people won't like the idea because they don't like the idea of the people you're giving money to being able to alter the amount you pay in the first place.

Steering back on topic...

I did a little Trader, until I realized there was no way I'd bother playing long enough to find out what the changes do to DE. I may as well just wait until it goes live.

I did a little Bounty Hunter, and the combat that entails... and I'm glad I won't be doing any combat as a DE anymore.

I did a little Jedi, and then I stopped playing on TC.

WoW is still better.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Im still concerned that combat in NGE is 'rough'. Still alot wrong with it and we've just 3 days until live... Rome wasn't built in a day and its about time SOE took that onboard.

Like most of the community, these upgrades/changes are leaving a foul taste in my mouth for the simple reason they are rushed.

DMUK

Archived