Home

We need MORE Server Options!

Carpaltunnal

I've been hosting since the Beta days (thanks to Kurgan and a few others).. and I was desperately hoping that by the time the retail came out there would be more options available to server admins.. sadly it is not so.

I noticed that with the beta Blackbagops server tools that come with the SWBF2 server package there are some nice extra controls.. but I find this beta to be fairly buggy so I've opted for the more stable commandline method for now (can't wait for blackbagops to have a stable version out though)

however one thing lacking in both packages is the ability to set the general spawn time for human players. Why is this totally random anyway?

CT

I've been hosting since the Beta days (thanks to Kurgan and a few others).. and I was desperately hoping that by the time the retail came out there would be more options available to server admins.. sadly it is not so.

I noticed that with the beta Blackbagops server tools that come with the SWBF2 server package there are some nice extra controls.. but I find this beta to be fairly buggy so I've opted for the more stable commandline method for now (can't wait for blackbagops to have a stable version out though)

however one thing lacking in both packages is the ability to set the general spawn time for human players. Why is this totally random anyway?

CT

I agree 100%

Most of the problems are being caused by problems on the server end. I'm working with Pandemic to help them resolve these issues but ultimately it's up to them to fix them. There's not much more that I can do.

Kevlar']Most of the problems are being caused by problems on the server end...

That has nothing to do with all the GUI problems. Also nothing has units. Which numbers are seconds, mintues, hours, percents? What do those numbers mean? I know what most of them are, but it should be in the tool tips anyway.

Hmmm... I know for a fact that I've opened up the server manager and the sliders have gone off the window, but when I open it up now to give you a screenshot, I can't find it... Maybe its just my computer. Other than the controls going off the screen (which seems to have stopped... I hadn't seen any other GUI problems). Good work.

One more feature I would like to see is better/more logs.

The program displays which users are playing, but I want to keep track of that list and when people are playing. I would like to know at what times my server is being used the most. Sure I could look at the chat logs, but that only shows the people chatting. I know I normaly don't chat much when I'm playing. When I need to do some network intensive things, I want to know at what time the least amount of people are normally playing. This player logging feature really isn't needed, but it would be nice.

Anything you can do in the server launchers you can do in a batch file, just FYI. It's just a matter of finding the right command. I've covered everything listed on the DSmanager program in my text file (and many more it doesn't let you change). I haven't had time to go over the other ones to make sure there were any there I missed...

http://www.swbattlefront.net/nitpicker/swbf2commands.txt

I agree though, there are certain things I wish you were able to change or had been added...

Then again, how many FPS games let you change the default respawn time? Then again, most FPS games don't HAVE a delay for respawns... ;)

What it LOOKS like the game is doing is spawning new players in 15 second increments so when you join you spawn in 15 seconds or less with that "batch" of spawns. not 100% sure on this though.. any other thoughts?

Kevlar -- thanks for posting and keeping us updated its nice to know you are about and listening to the feedback even when it's not posted on the forums at your website. I'm looking forward to your first stable version.

Someone above mentioned more logging.. and here's a request -- not sure how possible it would be without some help from Pandemic -- what I'd LOVE is to be able to collect stats on my players and store them.. i.e. the information contained in the "Personal Stats" that you get at the end of every game... but over the life of the player's visit to that particular server. Then I could create a website where Players can come and check their stats.. and post thoughts and feel "at home"

I get excited when I think about the possibilities of this game as a player and as an Admin.. yet it feel so far away still...

:lightning CT.

I get excited when I think about the possibilities of this game as a player and as an Admin.. yet it feel so far away still...

I totally agree with that thought. Most important for me are the ability to set the star points amounts for advanced characters or remove it all together and to be able to set which players are available in particular maps (I'd like some cross era stuff), but the black bag manager, especially for being free, kicks butt , even though I didn't mind making batchies in the original.

Archived