Winblows 98

160MB Ram (a 32MB, and 128 mB)

3.2 Gig HD

2 PCI slots and 2 usless slots

a built in ATI 3D Rage IIc AGP Graphics card with 4MB SGRAM

a PCI ethernet card for my cable modem

24x CD-Rom

floppy drive (YES!!)

now there is a jumper that disabels the on-board AGP card... I gota Voodoo 4 that i put in the 2nd PCI slot, disabeld the AGP card using the jumper, and when the computer starts up.. right before it finishes all the start-up progs i get an error "KEYBUGCHK" error

HELP.. I want that vid card!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see I got:

Dell CPU and moniter

450mgz

128 bit Voodoo2 Banshee card (decent)

12 gig HD space

A zip drive

speakers

5$ Raider Pro joystick

Lets face it.I got a better computer.

As for yer problem(lol) recheck were you put the card.It may not be in all the way.

i Did, iy was snug, and put in correctly

lets jsut say the OBVIOUS things were done liek that

and frankly i expect 90% of the ppl out there to have better computers since i got mine for $500... and JR2000Z, Thanks for nothing mad.gif

i am looking for help, and not ppl to tell me how pathetic my system is

[This message has been edited by K_Kinnison (edited December 03, 2000).]

A few thoughts:

1. Make sure the card is firmly seated in the slot. New cards can stick out a little sometimes and cause problems like this. (And we're talking microns, here.) It's happened to me before.

2. Make sure there's not some AGP setting in your bios that you have to set. Just look through all the stuff, especially anything that has to to with PCI or AGP.

3. You may need to flash your BIOS.

4. Call tech support. They may actually know what's wrong wink.gif

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

A few thoughts:

1. Make sure the card is firmly seated in the slot. New cards can stick out a little sometimes and cause problems like this. (And we're talking microns, here.) It's happened to me before

dont worry, i made 100% sure, it was in thier correctly, i push it in thier firmly

2. Make sure there's not some AGP setting in your bios that you have to set. Just look through all the stuff, especially anything that has to to with PCI or AGP.

and how pray tell do i check my bios?

3. You may need to flash your BIOS.

Huh?

4. Call tech support. They may actually know what's wrong wink.gif

i dont like tech support, since they tend to make me try all the Stupid stuf that i allready did.

and in the first PCI slot i have an Ethernet card for my Cable modem

[This message has been edited by K_Kinnison (edited December 03, 2000).]

When your computer is booting up, you will see something that says, "Hit Del to enter setup" or something like that. Or, you might not. I don't know. But if you start up your computer and just keep pressing the the delete key, you should get into your BIOS. Look through the menus and see if there is something related to AGP or PCI and change stuff and try it (but remember what you changed, in case you need to change it back). Flashing your BIOS means upgrading your BIOS, more or less. I once had a video card that wouldn't work until I flashed my BIOS. You need to go to the homepage of your motherboard maufacturer and see if there is a new BIOS version for you. Be careful though, because if you screw up, you could really mess your system up, with no way to easily get it back (formating won't even help). I'd call the video card manufacturer before you try that, though, because they will be able to tell you for sure if that's what you need to do.

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited December 03, 2000).]

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

Oh, and let me try a PB.

"K_K pissed = phunny"

How was that, PB? wink.gif

It's funnier when it's n00t...

------------------

You know one thing that will really make a Jedi mad? Just run up and kick him in the ass...<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Poor Bastard (edited December 03, 2000).]

KK, what you should do is this:

switch the jumper setting back to the way it was and leave the new card in there. boot up to windows. right click on the my computer icon and go to properties. click on the device manager tab. go to the display adapters icon, click on the ATI adapter and hit remove. close out of there. shut your computer down. switch the jumper setting to disable it, then boot up your machine, but go into your BIOS as suggested. You will either have to hit DEL or F10 or something. look around in there for anything that says display being PCI or AGP and make sure it is on the right one.

if it still doesn't work, look online for a BIOS firmware update from the manufacturer.

Originally posted by Ike:

KK, what you should do is this:

switch the jumper setting back to the way it was and leave the new card in there. boot up to windows. right click on the my computer icon and go to properties. click on the device manager tab. go to the display adapters icon, click on the ATI adapter and hit remove. close out of there. shut your computer down. switch the jumper setting to disable it, then boot up your machine, but go into your BIOS as suggested. You will either have to hit DEL or F10 or something. look around in there for anything that says display being PCI or AGP and make sure it is on the right one.

Turned off the computer, set the jumper so that the AGP chip was activated. Placed the VooDoo 4 in its slot, had to hook up the moniter to the new card to see what was being displayed... got thru boot up, Windows was running, and loading up the start-up programs then i got the blue screen of death with this message

KEBUGCHECKEX: Called by c002ab3b

Error code is 44

Parameters: cl559960 0 0 0

System Halted

Now the directions say plug in the card and all that jazz, and when the computer starts up there will be a prompt for the CD, but i never get that prompt, i get the error

okay, tried again, delted the Device from Device manager, Shut down the computer, Disabled the AGP chip using the jumper, plugged in the VooDoo card, got all the way to where Windows detected it, and was searching for Drivers then i got the same blue screen of death. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by K_Kinnison (edited December 04, 2000).]

Guest Hans The Great

Don't get too upset K, alot of people have troubles like this. I would try going into the BIOS at this point if you know how to do that and checking the computer's configuration from there. If you don't know how to do this then CALL TECH SUPPORT. This is a common problem that they would know how to fix with a minimum of fuss.

I'm getting a new compy. Yay me.

Tech specs:

Intel Pentium 4 (1.5 GHz) drool...

Windows 2000, ME

1 GB RDRAM

80 GB hard drive (Ultra ATA-100)

5 PCI slots

1 4X-AGP slot

CD-ROM drive 48x

CD-RW 12x/8x/32x

250 MB Iomega built-in Zip drive

64 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 ULTRA GTS with DVI 4x AGP video card (Probably subject to change)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card

Altec Lansing THX Certified ADA885 Dolby Digital Speakers with Subwoofer

3Com® 10/100 Ethernet Controller

v.90/56K PCI Telephony Modem for Windows ME

All for a cool $3000+.

Let the good times roll... biggrin.gif

Archived