Home

the Great Staff/Single Saber Debate (split from the JA+ thread)

StaffSaberist

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it also happens in MP, it is just HELLISHLY rare. Sometimes you block and the weapon goes right through the opponent's head for massive damage.

Red style can do weird block attacks on rare occassions, blocking into a killer lower right to upper left diagonal if you hold the attack button. Staff does something similar. If they go off you've pretty much won due to how deadly they are. But I've never seen any of the other styles do it.

Because it's evil?

I mean, there's a evil2 smiley ( :evil2: ) but not a evil smiley ( :evil: )

Actually, it also happens in MP, it is just HELLISHLY rare. Sometimes you block and the weapon goes right through the opponent's head for massive damage.

Red style can do weird block attacks on rare occassions, blocking into a killer lower right to upper left diagonal if you hold the attack button. Staff does something similar. If they go off you've pretty much won due to how deadly they are. But I've never seen any of the other styles do it.

[/Quote]

Oh, I have no doubts. I would be fighting a losing battle if I said that could never happen. What I meant to say was, "I never see wierd blocks because I usually don't let them get close." I run rings around NPC's, they have no brains. I spin the staff a little as I spin in circles... never take more than 30 damage from a lucky hit by my enemy. I could never do that in MP, though. I'd get fragged rather quickly. I'd go into JA to play multiplayer right now, but I am unable to install or play JA. :crybaby:

the main thing that is illogical to me is the ridiculous amount of random parries staff/dualies get on normal red swing which is supposed to be the "strong" or "heavy" stance, even when the opponent isnt even facing the incoming saber at the right angle..

In the end, most people online these days in duel servers use single, and do poke/wiggle, which renders the above point moot.

I think it's due to the sabers automatically bouncing instantanously into an attack after a blade-on-blade impact. That's why the CPU seems to randomly suddenly just chop into you after a block and kills you.

You're talking about the single player system right? Because that's what I'm talking about. Just making sure. ;)

A lot of people say they prefer the single player system or like this person who denigrates the MP system as being "made for singleplayer" when in fact I don't think he realizes how different the two actually are.

And the MP bots and SP NPCs are totally different. Anway, all my comments above were thinking of the MP saber system as the "default" so I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding. I don't think we'd be better off using the SP system in MP, by no means!

I love that map! I even extracted the music for it to use in my portable CD player (as well as extracted KotOR music :D) Maybe I could find somebody to play co-op with, after I brush up my sabering skills. BTW, have you ever killed the Rancors/Alora without cheats? Alora just has too much health, it seems. Ah well, if I ever beat her with no cheats, I should be ready for any human that comes my way. :D

the main thing that is illogical to me is the ridiculous amount of random parries staff/dualies get on normal red swing which is supposed to be the "strong" or "heavy" stance, even when the opponent isnt even facing the incoming saber at the right angle..

Funny thing, that. I've stood behind someone who was idling without the chatbox up. He had normal ping. I swing with yellow style. He had staff.

He blocked. He didn't even MOVE to actually block, there was just a flash and he took no damage. I tried two more times, two more blocks.

Pissed, I think did a full crouch sweep. Several block flashes and actual damage hits later, death for him.

No, no, I got that. I didn't kick you, I don't think. I made it clear that if nothing else, go around chatters if you can. I wasn't blocking a hall, either, I was on a wall off to the side of a large room. I was trying to resolve an arguement between a Grip-Pusher and someone who thought that wasn't right. Then, this guy hits me once, twice, thrice. I'm dead. NOT COOL. Having fun is one thing, I don't care if I start losing. That's part of the fun. But it is not right to go out of your way to harass and kill a chatting person.

The kill may have been easy, and technically legal under baseja, but NOT legit. If I had been allowed to face him, I would have had a good chance of winning. He was a good Single user, so maybe I could have lost anyway. But, the point is to give your opponent a fair chance. In FFA, when I see someone idling and watching a battle, and I happen to come up from behind. I Force-Push him, jump in front, and hit a key that automatically says "Hello there!" from Ep. III. I then ignite my saber, and wait for him to get up. Either that, or I... engage... any others that come near me. I'm not a weasel "honorz" saberist, but I do give a fighting chance. Literally.

I think when L.A. team develop the skills of the saber staff for JA they try to make a midle use weapon, that should have been balanced between the other two 'tipes' of sabers. but wanst this whats happen in fact: the saber staff its the strongest option for new/non skilled users and, badly, the combo cheaters choice.

in single player games the saber staff has a good use, but isnt the best best choice. i use it must because i love the staf looking. but i particular prefer the normal ones in single players since i can use easely the ''grip+saber throw'' on enemies, what take me one more step when using staff.

Multi players:

against bots the staff are better, since i can kill them before hit me on 'strong stance' and defend more easely on others stances. again i use more often because the 'perfect good looking' of a char using a dual staff. but i must confess: make a katar and dispatch 2 bots in same time its very fun too.

i prefer staff agains boots too because the 'grip and throw' of single dont work well agains very strong-wise bots on MP.

against real players, well i must say that i have no internet Mult players fights since my conections its too low, but i used to play a lot on Lan Houses. maybe its because here were i play (South America> Brasil> Minas Gerais> Juiz de Fora) ppl prefer Counter Strike and WarCraft3 then others games, most of the time i confront 'newbie' non-skilled JA players. i aways ask to play 'saber and force only' since i just dont like guns weapons. most of the time i see that ppl on staff are better, even if are non-skilled. the single bladed saberist must be very skilled to actualy win many battles against staff users. in my opnion the single bladed its more good when using force powers combos then in ''saber no-force'' battles. most of the time i weld staff, but when i fight ppl that frequently does katars (these ppl remember my old days in games like Street Fitgher that ppl just dont stop making 'hadukens'...) i prefer change to a single bladed and use 'grip+saber throw' combos, ok isnt the clean way to solve this but, Hey i'm a sith.

im my opinon the staff its comonly chose be cause dont require good train on use, no stance changes (ease battle), and the best ''cheat'' combos. the bad side its the fact that a staff user dont get to skilled in saber combat,they start medium-strong and dont past this with use. in other hand a single bladed get skilled with time, he starts weak (since he doenst know how work propely with the stances) but after a good use he gets realy deadly with these 'stances' changes during a battle (its really fun trick ppl with whatvatack you will do, hehehhe).

It comes down to this:

If you lose to a certain style DEAL WITH IT!!!! You're gonna loose to every style eventually. Its an inevitability. Stop going 'OMFG TEH STAFF R TEH N00B WEPON!!111oneoneeleventybilliondollars!!!' and play the game. And don't say that you're not gonna lose to this style or that style: headshots happen to everyone. Everyone slips. Everyone reacts a second too late. Its a game; its not like your really getting stabbed with a lightsaber. Now I'm leaving. I need to trim my goatee...its uneven and I'm aggravated:p

• 3 months later...

Archived