Home

Keeps shutting down

joey swound!

Hi,

Hope somebody can help me as I've had BF2 for 3 days now and I cant get it to work. Everytime I click to start a new game (training etc), The screen goes black for 2 seconds before going back to windows. The game has closed down and there are no error messages. ANy ideas? thanks!

joey

Same thing has been happening to me. I'm going to update my drivers now to see if that will fix it. What I dont understand is that sometime I can play a level or two and then it'll go to desktop. Other times, it will got to desktop as soon as the game loads the main menu.

Ok, I've narrowed it down. The problem is with the sound. On sound options under mixer config, the hardware and software option both causes the game to fail and close to windows. When I choose disabled, teh game loads up fine - but I get no sound whatsoever.

Does this provide any more help?

Yeah, I changed mine to hardware instead of disabled and I think its fine. I think you could play it with sound if you go to control panel>sounds and audio devices>audio and on the default playback menu....select your soundcard if its not installed....mess with that a bit.

Something is is trying to use your sound card, or something has already been using it. I have a problem with TeamSpeak and SWBF. They would fight to the death (meaning crash) to gain usage of my sound card. My solution: TeamSpeak was set to the onboard sound card, SWBF is using the default sound card (PCI card).

If you disable your sound and it works, you have another program causing problems when SWBF2 is running.

Yes, very annoyed. I got a reply from lucas tech team that went like this. It didn't help me, but it may give you some luck.

Please attempt to run the game with the sound code modified to see if you might

be experiencing a sound hardware or sound driver related problem.

To do this, locate the BattlefrontII.exe file in the game's GameData folder on

your harddrive and create a special shortcut to this file to start the game. If

you installed the game to the default folder (C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star

Wars Battlefront II) use the following instructions:

- Open My Computer

- Open the "C:" local drive

- Open the "Program Files" folder

- Open the "LucasArts" folder

- Open the "Star Wars Battlefront II" folder

- Open the "GameData" folder

- Right-click the "BattlefrontII.exe" file and click Create Shortcut

- Right-click the new "Shortcut to BattlefrontII.exe" file and click Properties.

- Go to the end of the Target field and add /audiomixbuffer so it appears as

follows:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\BattlefrontII.exe"

/audiomixbuffer 40

- Click Apply and OK

- Right-click the new "Shortcut to BattlefrontII.exe" file once more and click

Copy.

- Close the window and right-click an empty area of your Windows desktop and

click paste to place a copy of this new shortcut on your desktop. You should

right-click the shortcut and rename it "BattlefrontII audiomixbuffer".

Place the Battlefront II Disc 1 in the drive and exit the launcher menu when it

appears. Next, launch the game using the new "Battlefront II audiomixbuffer"

shortcut on your desktop to see if the game runs fine (while using this

commandline switch).

I've got Athlon64 x2 3800+

1.5 gb ram

250gb hd

ATI Radeon 800gto 256mb...

I got a reply from lucas arts and they said to get some program for my cpu...so I'm going to do that and see if that can fix it. But I can run with with graphics all the way up no problem now....but on one cpu.

I had the same problem with mine. It's an AMD Athelon 64 x2. Found this site though, and since doing what it said I've been able to play for the past 4 hours. With sound and everything, although I did turn the graphics quality to medium because of the seperate issue with NVIDIA cards.

Don't get me wrong, I like lucasarts, I just wish that once in a while they would release a game that's actually finished. (I'm still waiting for the other half of KOTOR II). I mean, not supporting the next generation of cpu's, or the most popular video cards available, that seems a little sloppy. And when I asked them about it, all I got was "yeah, we know, keep an eye out for a patch...eventually". In other words, may the force be with you, since we won't be.

I got my game to finally work! I have an AMD X2 4400, Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe, and 7800 GTX. I'm using latest AMD driver 1.2.2.2. Realtek AC97 64-bit audio driver v5.10.00.5830 (WHQL). Nvidia Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7801. Before installing any of the drivers or the game, turn off your virus protection. That's what worked for me. Now I'm runing the game in 1280x1024 and Antialiasing at 4x with no problem.

yeah I'm running it on the highest resolution, all graphics quality on high and antialiasing on 6x and it doesnt lag at all....but I still have to to turn off a cpu while playing. Its not a big deal but you would think a guy wouldn't have to do that.

Archived