Home

Overly Emotional? [Spoilers]

Kristy Kistic

I got so emotionally into the game, that:

I had played the game so much, and loved it, and was so determined to be light side. My goodness, I was the kindest person you could ever possibly meet. But when I discovered that I actually was Revan, I totally flipped. I got so pissed at Bastilla and went crazy mad and actually managed to turn my alignment completely around and end the game on the Dark Side.

And every time I play through, I get very emotional at the fight with Bastilla on Rakata Prime or whatever it's called. That's the high point of the game for me, really.

The Sith Lords was lacking in experiences like that simply because 1. You can't replace God-Awesome characters like Jolee, Carth, and Bastilla. It was so perfect. And 2. You simply cannot get to know your characters that well in TSL. It feels like they are just random aquaintences that are flying all over the galaxy with you. You never really get to know them... they don't seem real. And 3. Everyone still wants to be Revan. You feel like you still are Revan, but you have to be a totally different person. It's a strange feeling.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't go darksde either, i play it and i feel dirty like im using some cheat or something. as for emotional, the highest emotional point in the game imho was Taris, particularly the beginning. When you are in the apartment and take you first steps out outside and see the upper city. Everything there, music, sounds, backstory, characters everything fitted so well and was excellent. I loved it to bits.

I can't play dark side either, I just feel so guilty! I remember when I first played F DS and I made Carth really sad/mad, and I was so guilty that my mom actually thought I had stolen something from her. I just have a guilty conscience.

I was pretty bummed when I played TSL and the characters just weren't very... connectable (is that a word?) with. Except for Bao-Dur. I love him! He's my favorite TSL NPC, I just wish you could have actual CONVERSATIONS with him! I mean, come on!

Oh, well, I hope they bring back the characters from KOTOR I in KOTOR III, or at least some of them...

• 1 year later...

Malak: Im... [cough] impossible. I... I cannot be beaten. I am the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Revan: This is the way of the dark side, Malak: all things end in death.

Malak: Still... [cough] still spouting the wisdom the Jedi, I see. Maybe there is more truth in their code than I ever believed. I... I cannot help but wonder, Revan. What would have happened had our positions been reversed? What if fate had decreed I would be captured by the Jedi? Could I have returned to the light, as you did? [cough] If you had not led me down the dark path in the first place, what destiny would I have found?

Revan: I am sorry I started you on this path. But you chose to continue down it.

Malak: I suppose... I suppose you speak the truth. I alone must accept responsibility for my fate. I wanted to be Master of the Sith and ruler of the galaxy. But that destiny was not mine, Revan. [cough] It might have been yours, perhaps... but never mine. And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

I don't remember what I thought the first time, but now it sounds all angsty and pathetic. :xp:

Still good writing, though.

The Leviathan still gets me, I can't stand seeing Saul torture Carth (I always feel this scene's better when you play female, I imagine Saul enjoys torturing his former protege more than he does zapping Bastila). But then when I give in and tell Saul something he wants to know Carth says that hurts him even more.

At the end I couldn't help but feel a bit sad when Malak died, even after all he'd done. I'd redeemed every other worthless sod I'd come across, so I felt guilty for not being able to help Malak. The ending itself was uplifting, the first time it makes you feel great because it almost feels like you really did save the galaxy.

DS was hard at first, but I dissociated myself by changing to a male PC and playing him up as some sort of raging idiot and skipping most of the "Why are you doing this?" dialogue.

TSL was a bit of a disappointment. I mean, especially after K1 leads you to think you saved everyone, TSL starts off with everything in a state of mediocrity regardless of what Revan chose.

I also didn't get the same level of emotional attachment to the party members. Hell, I felt touched by Canderous' "I'm your man until the end" speech, I loved Jolee's wit, even Juhani had her moments. I felt connected to them, because they all seemed connected to your character. Then you hit TSL and half your crew are only with you because Kreia tells them to be your pawns. You can't talk to them, they don't have feelings and opinions the same way the ones in K1 did. They just have one or two character points that you get to hear when your influence is high enough and then you go back to playing Pazaak with them or asking them the same questions over and over again. You don't bring them around because you want to hear how they react to things, you bring them to specific places in order to grind influence with them. It just doesn't feel the same.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just seemed too cruel for me to play on DS, but that doesn't mean I'm full LS, though. I'm more "off-white". I hated the kids on Taris for beating up the Ithorian and threatened them for it. I felt sorry for Sharina Fizark and hoped she had a better future ahead of her by giving her an additional 200 credits for her 500 credit Wraid Plate. I wanted the Selkath judges to know the truth in Sunry's trial, although I didn't like the fact the Sunry was executed. I wanted to beat up the Selkath who hated outsiders and the ones who thought of me as disruptive. I enjoy killing those who deserve it, like those corrupt Czerka officers and Darth Bandon. I wanted to kill Xor myself instead of letting Juhani kill him. I'm never serious around Bastila with her conversations and I constantly tease and make fun of her for being a prissy little Jedi princess and for losing her lightsaber on Taris, as well as playfully flirt with her, and I thought she was a real [female dog] for mocking me and the Jedi in the Temple, so much that I didn't want to join her. Revan and Bastila's relationship never really had much of an impact on me, so I wasn't affected much by her betrayal other than the "WTF WHY DID YOU BETRAY US?! I THOUGHT YOU WAS OUR FRIEND!" reaction.

I ALWAYS persuade for a better reward. Not threaten, but persuade. AND I often bargain with people to lower the price of what they're selling to me, unless they're in need. (like Sharina)

Actually, there are a few LS things and a few DS things I can almost never make myself do. I can't make myself split up the Dantooine couple because of their fathers, and always encourage them to run off together. I've never killed Juhani at the first fight, and always convince her to go back to the Jedi.

I usually kill bendak, and go with the ds option to wipe out all the gangster scum on Taris, but save the undercity dwellers by giving them the journals to the promised land.

On Korriban, I've sided with Yuthura Bann, and I've killed off both masters of the Academy to try to claim it for myself, but I've never sided with Master Uthar. Once I found out about the way to save the droid in the tombs, I've never played through where I've killed or betrayed the Jedi killing droid. Also, once I realized there was a way not to have Carth kill Dustil, I've spared him every time, though it was about half a dozen games before I realized that.

I do have trouble making myself kill mission, so I tend to side against Bastilla in the temple scene just so I don't have to kill mission later and can save my whole party, though I do like the DS cinematic ending better than the prodigal knight thing. On the whole, playing as I'd normally play, the game tends to push me towards grey instead of strongly ls or ds.

There are times I am able to make myself do differently, but it seriously interferes with my enjoyment of the game.

I've never killed Juhani at the first fight, and always convince her to go back to the Jedi.

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't get dark side points for killing Juhani. After all, Obi-wan didn't get dark side points for failing to redeem Vader.

I wonder if anyone noticed that this thread was brought back from the dead.

There are times I am able to make myself do differently, but it seriously interferes with my enjoyment of the game.

While I kill remorselessly everyone that hampers my progress, that's in my way or that I don't like the face of, I agree that Kotor has this thing that makes you feel attached to (some of) the NPCs. And this will probably influence your decision on who to kill next or don't fight at all.

I have an iron-clad and hard heart, and very little can actually make me emotional in a game, unless it's a laugh or black hatred, like when dealing with Jolee Bindo. Malak was too...blatant, to actually make me angry, and he never killed anyone I liked - (Jolee and HK-47.)

Obsidian did a much better job of getting me worked up in games, especially in NWN2. I can't count the number of times I screamed "WHAT!?" at the screen whenever I was obligated to either act like a complete moron or let someone die, then later be forced to work with her killer.

But, no, I don't think I've ever shed tears because of the events of a game, which probably has something to do with my Y Chromosome.

The game's plot didn't strike me as being too emotional of a story, so I never teared up or felt much of anything other than "Look at all these dialogue options - it's like an interactive Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book!" mixed with a little "That plot twist was so awesome; wish I hadn't gotten it spoiled on LForums!"

So for me the answer is no.

I too was not overly emotional. I mean, it is only a video game. Although, you can get really caught up in one (I say this only because I have). I didn't cry or anything, I was just surprised in several parts throughout the whole game, in both KotOR 1; KotOR 2.

So my answer is also, no.

meh. still, nice to see there aren't any sadist gits on these forums that find the darkside easy. i personally cant do it. i quit or go lightside.

I don't find it easy. I find it fun. I was born that way :D

Anyways...

I don't get emotional at the game because of 1 reason:

Its a freaking game! Its not real!

I think at times both games can be "emotional", but not realy "over" emotional is it was put. I think if you really get into the story and setting and the characters of KOTOR, and then play KOTOR II, the disappearance of these characters can make you feel glum and thirst to know what happened to them and if they survived after KOTOR I.

I think at times both games can be "emotional", but not realy "over" emotional is it was put. I think if you really get into the story and setting and the characters of KOTOR, and then play KOTOR II, the disappearance of these characters can make you feel glum and thirst to know what happened to them and if they survived after KOTOR I.

That's exactly how i felt when i started playing KotOR 2.

On that note, if K3 resumes Revan's story, the series will have reminded me of Indiana Jones, in the way that I would probably think "why did the 2nd installment deviate from the original storyline?" They had a good thing going with K1 and a sequel following Revan would have been appropriate. Or perhaps they will tie it all in nicely (if there ever is a K3) and I will have forgotten that K2 disappointed me by deviating from K1.

Given the extent of the damage incurred by the jedi civil war, I'd be surprised if TSL had taken a somewhat less murky direction than it did. Rushing it to market did hurt the game, but it's still pretty good nonetheless (despite its many flaws/gaps).

• 4 weeks later...

I play dark side more often than not. Rofl.

Seriously, though, I tend to see the game more like reading a book written in the first person rather than me actually doing things. Sometimes I think the story can be more compelling when the protagonist is the bad guy. Though normally I roleplay, and don't have him do random irrational evil things just because he's evil.

When I play light side, I find myself having a hard time putting up with some people. Sometimes it's just more satisfying to chop the guy up.

When I first played KotOR, I was playing very light side up until Malak told said that PC was Revan. Honestly, that moment made me feel very used, and I finished out the game Dark Side. It actually played out very well, seeing as the last planet was Korriban, the perfect place to drag Revan down when he was vulnerable to seduction.

The Sith Lords was pretty Epic for me too- when I played that one, I felt like the Exile was not a good person from the beginning, and he went Dark right away. But the way I played the game, I wound up defending Kunda, or whatever it's called, and Vrook actually lived when I killed all the other Jedi. I felt a little bad when I went to face him at Dantooine and he said "I know what you have done to the others."

I agree that playing DS makes more sense in some situations, but I often feel like playing DS means being a thug in K1 and K2. There are some interesting parts when going DS, but most of them seem to involve ruthless & meaningless killing, which bothers me when I'm attempting to play as I think I would act if it were me.

Archived