Home

Spanish terms

Yohein

Hi there! (long time ago sinced I posted here).

As I'm Spanish, it's very funny for me when Manny uses Spanish words in the game, or when a Spanish name is mentioned for some characters. Most of the names are mentioned and translated in Grim Fandango Network, but Manny says lots of phrases in Spanish which aren't. I don't know if this has been done before here, but I thought I could translate to English the phrases which don't appear in grimfandango.net, so people who don't understand Spanish can know what Manny's saying. I don't remember all the phrases, but now I'm replaying the game so I will translate them as they appear.

-For example, Celso's second name, Flores, means Flowers.

-At the beggining, Manny says Burros, what litteraly means Donkey but, in this case, it's like saying "ass holes" to all his clients :smash:

-After that, he says "¿Qué es esto?" when Eva's memo arrives, and that means "What's this?".

-Jefe means Boss.

-Belleza (for Eva) means Beauty.

-¡Qué traes! (again, for Eva) means, literally, "What are you bringing?" but in this case, it would be more like saying "That's a stupid thing you're saying" :lol:

-Manny says Loco to Glottis, and means Crazy.

-Domino's nun name is Calabaza, and means Pumpkin.

-Famous Salvador's "Viva la Revolución" means "Long live the Revolution!" (well, that was a bit obvious :lol: )

Well, at this moment I don't remember more things, but I will continue this list later (if someone's interested, of course :lol: ). If somebody wants to know a specific term used in the game, I can help :)

Bye!

Yes, you're right, "Es peor que la muerte" means "It's worse than death". It's not very used but it isn't STRANGE :)

"Caranal" isn't a Spanish word. Is that the exact spelling? Maybe you mean Coronel, what means Colonel or something like that?

VampireNaomi, I have to agree with El Virus, that doesn't look too Spanish :lol: I can't understand very well what he's saying, just "We had to be buried" at the beggining or something similar.

"Caranal" isn't a Spanish word. Is that the exact spelling? Maybe you mean Coronel, what means Colonel or something like that?

I think Kald0rei means "carnal," which is what Manny calls Glottis a couple of times. And I used to know what that means, too...that's what I get for taking Latin instead of Spanish.

It's curious, because in the Spanish version of the game, the kept that "Híjole" all the time, but that's not used in Spain (the same for "Carnal", it's not used here and they kept it), I think they are Mexican.

And yes, I think that's used to express surprise or it's like saying "Oh, ****" :lol: Hijo in Spanish means Son, but I don't think it's very related to this word :lol:

Great to have you back Yohein.By the way, have you got the Spanish dub?

You've made me love this language.

You probably should; it is one of the, if not the, most wonderful languages out there; too bad I don't get to appreciate it as much, for it is my native tongue.

Hi El Virus. Yes, I first played (and completed) the game in Spanish. I was dissapointed with the terrible translation (not the dubbing, which was fantastic), so now I play it in English and it's fantastic ;) I understand the game better than I did when playing the Spanish version :lol:

I have a russian translation in my GF CD. If you like, I can insert it anytime.

That'd be great. I never checked whether I could choose Sub-title language...

I was dissapointed with the terrible translation. I understand the game better than I did when playing the Spanish version

Yes, I have to agree. The acting is amazing though.

Too bad I won't be able to find GF in its original language anymore...

Oh, and Kald0rei, welcome to the forums.

I was thinking on makin a comparation of both Spanish and English version, so people can see Grim Fandango in other languages. I would like to record some dialogs in both versions so people can compare them, I don't know if someone here is interested in hearing Manny, Domino and company talking in Spanish, but I think it can be interesting :lol:

That'd be great. I never checked whether I could choose Sub-title language...

Yes, I have to agree. The acting is amazing though.

Too bad I won't be able to find GF in its original language anymore...

Oh, and Kald0rei, welcome to the forums.

Glad to be here!:)

• 2 weeks later...
'Domino' = 'I dominate'

Well, 'I Dominate' would be 'Yo Domino' (when 'Yo' translates as Ego or I).

The word Domino alone simply translates as that easy and simple game; basically the same than in English.

Of course, it might be plausible, after all the word does not loose it's meaning when alone.

EDIT: Oh, wait, silly me. Dominó is the proper name of game; without an accent mark, I guess it could be taken as "Dominate". However, the fact that he has a domino chip-like drawing in his hand, makes me think that it was not intended to be taken as Spanish.

Archived