Home

Why no Prone

Murf

Does anyone know why they left "Prone" out of the game, at least for the sniper? It seems kinda ridiculous for a sniper to be standing up without trying to be as conceal and as small of a target as possible. Was it forgotten or what - I don't get that?

Yeah, they claimed that "nobody used it" and there were "too many buttons" so it "confused players who used it accidentally."

I used to think that perhaps they removed it because it was a "quick and dirty" cheap fix to the "hide inside the wall exploit" which could often be utilized with the prone ability. But they have never admitted to this, so there you go...

I wonder how hard it would be to mod it back in?

I swore it did have it's own button.. I always used X for prone. Maybe I'm just mis-remembering... but I only used the PC version. I can understand them limiting the buttons on the console versions.

As for the modding bit, that's nice, but remember these are different engines. If they let you code new stuff in, not just hex edit and map edit, then it could be possible with a simple copy and paste (assuming we have access to the same code in SWBF1 to copy and paste from!). And you'd need the animation from SWBF1. But then you could do it (re-creating it would seem a lot more work).

Yeah, they claimed that "nobody used it" and there were "too many buttons" so it "confused players who used it accidentally."

I used to think that perhaps they removed it because it was a "quick and dirty" cheap fix to the "hide inside the wall exploit" which could often be utilized with the prone ability. But they have never admitted to this, so there you go...

I just wrote a very detailed response, only to have my browser freeze and lose it... so I'll just sum it up:

You can remap your key settings. If you don't use something, just unmap it.

I rated SWBF2 an eight on the ratings poll. I'm changing that to 5-6. The longer I play this game, the more little map bugs and other things I find wrong with it. These are simple, little problems that can be fixed, but the developers seem to be too lazy. Taking out prone to prevet people from find problems in a map, is one example of them just covering up their mistakes. They should take the time to fix the map errors, and so far, I've found at least one big error on each map.

Yeah. On the other hand if your space guns have no kick back and assisted aiming, then you don't really need it. I guess you can invent whatever rules you want for sci fi stuff. On the other hand suddenly the guns need "reloading" of clips, so there you go. I guess what we're all really asking for is some consistency in the series.

Star Wars blasters have kickback and clearly after viewing the performance of Stormtroopers, Battle Droids, and Greedo, do not have assisted aiming.

Also, you could see Clone Troopers on Utapau in RotS firing from the prone position, so there's no reason why it wouldn't be considered "Star Warsey," for lack of a better term.

Ah, but the kind of kickback we're talking isn't such that you really need to lie prone. We've seen people firing pretty accurately with say, arms outstretched, and yet the power of their weapons speaks for itself.

As for assisted aiming, I was really referring to Zam Wessel's gun, the only "firing scope view" we've ever seen in Star Wars. I'm not saying all SW weapons have this, but who knows. Stormtroopers are supposed to be crack shots, and they're supposed to have these amazing HUD's in their helmets that do all sorts of incredible stuff. And yet they suck. Character shields? Bad transmitters? Or the spirits of the dead Jedi following them around force pushing to throw off their aim as eternal revenge?

If only I could find George's number...

Minimizing kickback isn't the only reason for lying prone anyway. It's useful as you're a MUCH smaller target, and aiming is easier when you can steady the gun on the ground. But kickback can be seen in Star Wars blasters (for example, when Lando is holding off Stormtroopers at the Millennium Falcon when escaping from Cloud City), so arguing that you don't need prone because there's no kickback isn't really valid. Because there is kickback, and apparently the clones on Utapau found the prone position useful too!

I think it all comes down to the game being more arcadey than a simulation. I think the thing is BF1's maps weren't built like battlefield maps, and they realized this and took out prone for BF2. I think if the maps were built accordingly, prone would be a more useful function but as it is this game is more action and less sim. Kind of like dumbed down sci-fi vs. smart sci-fi.

Sniper is all aim. You can't fire off random shots all over the place and expect to get any kills (except on laggy servers). I cann't think of a single good reason to take going prone out of SWBF2, and they take it out because it is in SWBF. I'm sure the game code is still in there, only the key map, AI's use of it, and images were taken out. Any modders out there want to find it, give it a key, and create the skins for each unit?

There was no point in taking it out, I used it quite alot in SWBF1. But remember guys, snipers can crouch.

Yes they can, but still not low as prone and you have to keep the lousy key held down the whole time to maintain the crouch.

Related to why they took out being prone is why they gook out the orbital bombardment. I used to find an out-of-the-way power droid, lay prone (feigning death), and then orbital bombard the heck out of the approaching enemies. Once we took the next CP, I'd advance to the next inconspicuous power droid, and begin the onslaught during our march to victory.

Now I have to shoot stuff :cool:

Archived