Home

Tinfoil and Dr Who

Captain Wilson

Looks like a mix between three things...

*C-3PO

*The weird time travelling warp suit from "The Journeyman Project 3:Legacy of time"(Great game, by the way!)

*Something else

Not that I've ever heard of this mr Doctor, or anything..

But...

It's a movie, right?

It might be good, I guess.

There were also at least two films, and at least one of those starred Moff Tarkin as the Doctor. Though the films were never as good as the tv series.

The new sereis is supposed to be good. I watched the first few episodes and thought it was ok, but then i kind of lost track. It apparently gets better though. I'll pick it up on dvd once it drops to a reasonable price. Or ask for it for xmas..

like i said, they dont show it so im not familiar w/ it, looked like a phone booth to me ;)

Its a police phone booth. They don't actually exist anymore, even in the Uk.

The Tardis was supposed to be able to change shape to blend in to its environment, but I think it got stuck as a police box (back when they did exist) and its been stuck that way every since...

There were also at least two films, and at least one of those starred Moff Tarkin as the Doctor. Though the films were never as good as the tv series.

The new sereis is supposed to be good. I watched the first few episodes and thought it was ok, but then i kind of lost track. It apparently gets better though. I'll pick it up on dvd once it drops to a reasonable price. Or ask for it for xmas..

Yeah, "Doctor Who and the Daleks" and "Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D." were shown theatrically in 1965 and '66 respectively and starred Peter Cushing as the good Doctor.

However both movies are in their own seperate continuity from the main Whoverse. See, in the series (Series 1: 1963-1989, Series 2: 2005-) he's just called "The Doctor" (no name given), a humanoid alien from Gallifrey. He's from a race called the Time Lords, who have two hearts (and amazing athletic and intellectual prowess) and can "regenerate." That is, when they're near death, they can transform into a new body (often with a new personality) a limited number of times. He flies around in his TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimensions in Space) as others have mentioned.

Anyway, in the theatrical films, Peter Cushing's Doctor is actually NAMED "Doctor Who." He's (apparently) a human and he has grandchildren that travel with him.

I'm something of a fan, having loved to stay up late at night and watch it on PBS when I was growing up (Tom Baker was the Doctor for me!). I haven't seen that many complete episodes and only read a few of the books, but I did tune in for the entire new series (which appears to be in continuity, rather than a reimagining of an old series like Battlestar Galactica was).

Tom Baker will always be 'The Doctor' to me. While I was born in '67, I was too young to remember the Troughton years, which were supposed to be good as well - but I do remember Jon Pertwee in the role (he relied too much on gadgets).

Sadly the BBC seem to have lost many of the older episodes altogether - there aren't that many available on DVD.

As for the new-look Cyberman...well, he doesn't look menacing at all to me. More like...lost and pitiful. In fact, he seems like he wants to ask if you want a cup of tea or something... Shades of Marvin, the paranoid android. :/

Archived