Home

Most touching moment in Grim Fandango

Kald0rei

Ok, so somebody probably has done this same topic before but i'll still do it anyways. Grim Fandango was a phenomenal game, and as phenomenal games go, there are always memories and moments that forever stay with us emotionally.

One instance that got me Very emotional was when you examine the picture clue that Lola left in the game and this sad, sentiment song plays in the background. It reminded me of many things and there's just this thing with the photo that really strikes me. The photo is in black and white, and in it people were happy and cheering whilst the music in the background was dark and sadly gripping.

Now, here's my problem. I LOVE that soundtrack and have been looking around the net for it to no avail. I give up.

I was wondering if any of you might help me out by finding me the track or at least giving me the title of the track.

Thank you. Viva La Sanspoof.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the time you finish watching Manny's departure to the Ninth Underworld, and then the three Mariachis are shown by the fountain/ashtray portrayed at the very beginning.

Then the credits come along with great songs like "Manny & Meche", and it was then when I realised that I had completed an excellent game and story, one which influenced who and what I was going to be, and I'll never get the chance to enjoy as much.

This is pretty much what touched me the most, the credits are not a "Scene" like the ones mentioned earlier, but they are a moment and I believe they should count as well...

For me it was near the end where that guy you meet under the sea (can't believe I forgot) walks through the portal to the Ninth Underworld. It was so sweet and sad to see him innocently sing his song and soldier on into portal, never to be seen again. It reminded me of how far Manny has gone and how soon his (and my) journey will end. It's hard to explain but it's the moment that really touched me.

For me it was near the end where that guy you meet under the sea (can't believe I forgot) walks through the portal to the Ninth Underworld. It was so sweet and sad to see him innocently sing his song and soldier on into portal, never to be seen again. It reminded me of how far Manny has gone and how soon his (and my) journey will end. It's hard to explain but it's the moment that really touched me.

Agree!

I don't know how to explain neither, but for me it was like if the game was finishing in that moment and that was a general goodbye or something like that.

Chepito, I think his name was?

Anyway, yes--I didn't see that scene until the second time I played the game, but it really hit a chord with me when I did see it...there's something strangely and starkly beautiful about the way it was done. I love that scene.

Lola's death was another one for me...it actually made me cry. And then there's the bit in Year Three where you see that Manny renamed the SS Limo to the SS Lola--that was another touching moment for me. (It also nearly made me cry. Again.)

Yeah I'd have to say for me the most touching scene was when Manny was cutting the flowers near Salvador's body with his scythe. Just the way it was done and the music playing, it was awesome. And the Chepito thing as well, because at that point you really realize you're approaching the end of something great, which is always sad.

For some reason I really like Manny punching Nick. It's touching in the way of "thank god Manny punched that guy".

It's also a moment that punctuates the conflicts in year two being resolved. I guess that's why it feels that way.

Another addition to the music question:

That exact theme was originally used in Full Throttle during Malcolm Corley's funeral. It was a little homage to Schafer's (and McConnell's) previous game.

I'm replaying the game and I have just arrived to the part where Chepito goes to the Ninth Underworld. I still think that's a great scene, but after watching it again, I think it could be even better... Chepito's song's end was so... abrupt. I mean, why they didn't keep that echoing voice a bit more? it would have been great that Chepito's role in the game would have ended with that echoing "let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" :lol:

A great scene, anyway :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived