Home

Most touching moment in Grim Fandango

Kald0rei

Deffinately Lola's death scene. Iy's so sad. And Chepito going on to the 9th underworld.

I also liked the way the slowly showed Manny's realisation that he's in love with Meche. It' starts with Salvadore asking him if he loves her, and he says 'love? love is for the living', but then by year 3 he realises the truth. I love that scene when he says that he needed to find her. So sweet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I'd like to give a nod to Membrillo's infamous quote, which managed to show that even in negativity, the human soul is inspired.

"We may have years

We may have hours

But sooner or later

We push up flowers"

You know, I've used this quote every time I was asked for my motto of life (or whatever that's called in English).

My most emotional moments was when Glottis and Manny said goodbye to eachother, as well as the moment the whole game ended. I often listen to all my GF songs and get the chills from my memories of this great, great game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The most touching bit for me is the bit right after Chepito goes through, when you can walk Manny right up to the entrance to th ninth underworld, and he says somthing like this:

"I could actully do it. I could walk right through to the ninth underworld, and not look back. But, no. I can't do it. I'm not leaving without all those souls I promised to save"

I think it just sums up manny perfectly.

And of course, "Love Is For the Living" allways makes me sigh. it's so... sad. like the bit when you walk under the blimp, and press "use" and manny says, "it only goes to the land of the living,and there's nothing for me there" They really make you make you think about Manny, and his life.

The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.

The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.

Yeah I always wondered, if your bones get grounded up, do you sprout? If not, what happens to you? I always thought people that got sprouted would get automatically sent to the underworld, just in a very painful manner, put I'm not sure what happens if your bones get grounded up. Maybe you just make the trip to the underworld as a pile of dirt since everybody in the land of the dead dosn't have mucels.

any way, most touching moment...

it seems the consensus was the flower cutting scene at the end, when Manny actually used the scyth in the way it was designed. but for me...i would have to say the end of year one, when the sad whinning horn is playing while your down on your luck mopping the diner floor, waiting for something that probably won't show up anyway. If I ever get in a "dead end" job, i'll just think of that scene and the song that was playing. I mean it sounds depressing, but it also made it feel very...real. I felt it gave Manny a lot of "character," even though I'm still not quite sure what people mean by that word unless the mean the ability of someone to keep going during their troubles, even if they may always have troubles. It felt sad, peaceful, and yet normal all at once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd say the most touching moment for me is when your having a chat with Membrillo and he says something like "its Death within Death" Also when Sal offers you into the LSA

"Who are you?" Manny

"I'm you. or at least i was you years ago" Sal

"yea well I'm me now so get lost" Manny

He tells you about the corruption and junk. When Sal dies too and also when Manny walks into his old office in El-Marrow with hector. Also when Manny gets shot and when Lola dies. At the end when the band is playing near the fountain and it resembles the figures and ash tray in the beginning. The worst part of finishing the game is that it was over.

OHH YOU TOOK MINE!!!! anyway, i loved the ending part but it gave me this very depressing feeling when i finished, when glottis hugs manny, when i see the guitar guys playing by the fountain which indeed represents the ashtray in the beginning of the game, and when you seee the train leave and disappears into the darkness, and right before you anticipate the very last note of what the guitars are going to play the credits role and you hear the music you remember like an old lost friend the festival where everthing started (i'm tearing up just by typing this) I could never finish this game without crying, without thinking that "Paul, wake up, wake up, it's over"

• 2 months later...

Lola's death is an incredibly powerful scene, but what I find more touching is afterwards when Toto talks about her. He calls her a sweet girl and says to Manny "tell her Papa Toto says hello".

When you find out what a lovely person she was it just makes her loss seem so much more significant.

Oh God..... I started to read the posts and I just couldn't help it, I started to cry :$ :(

This amazing game, all these sad moments......

It's not just a game, it's way more than that. I will never forget that first time I played it.. That first time I saw the black screen with the credits moving and the music playing..... All the effort I made, all the moments of this game, the great fun and joy I felt playing, all that was over..

The story, the characters, everything made me love this game so much :(

I want Manny back, I want to visit Rubacava again.. I want Manny and Glottis to be together for the eternity.. I want to see how does the Ninth Underworld looks like!

How cool it would be if LA makes a sequel.. Of course, a good one.. One with all these beloved characters, an outsanding story..

I just can't explain with words all I feel when I play or even talk about this game..

I'm so happy knowing that I played the best game ever..

Anyway, show must go on.. And the only thing we can do, is keep playing this game until the cd burns and the files get so used they can been never read again!!

Oh, and yeah, btw :p ALL the moments you said before were really touching for me (I read everything).

I just have this feeling.. When I hear this poem, I feel like sad, like.. excited.. I feel something that's indescribable.. OK, read it and tell me if you feel the same :D specially the last 2 lines ;)

With bony hands I hold my partner

On soulless feet we cross the floor

The music stops as if to answer

An empty knocking at the door

It seems his skin was sweet as mango

When last I held him to my breast

But now we dance this grim fandango

And will four years before we rest.

------

Oh and yes, Tim, I LOVE YOU!!!!!! THANKS FOR CREATING THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!! YOU WILL BE REMEMBERD FOR EVER AND EVER!!!!!!!!! :D:D

• 3 months later...

where do i go or what do i do in the game to hear that poem?

as for me the only thing i remember really got to me, was when Manny returned to the start city and everything had changed. Darker, more corrupt and creepy: Mannis office, not anything like the old days...and the "Mannis back to straightn it up again" feeling

You mean this one:

With bony hands I hold my partner

On soulless feet we cross the floor

The music stops as if to answer

An empty knocking at the door

It seems his skin was sweet as mango

When last I held him to my breast

But now we dance this grim fandango

And will four years before we rest.

You have to ask Olivia to read one of her poems. I don't think this is the first one she says, so you'll have to ask her more than once.

Archived