Home

Has anyone stood up to the cheaters yet?

MxBxZ

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would I want to play on an OJP server? You seem to be forgetting the many basejka servers you mentioned earlier!

Oh that's right, you were one of the guys upset by such features as TrueView and RGB sabers, correct? If so, then yes, you should play on basejka. ;)

In team-games you'll have to rely on the "honor system" for switching teams towards balance, but if you can stomach that, then you should be fine!

Hopefully you can find a server with settings you prefer...

And yeah, last I heard there was another OJP server, though it wasn't up as much as our's.

ZeroX2... do us a favor. Go through your display settings menus in JA and tell us what you have set for EACH option. Not just your res and depth, but everything that's listed please.

Also your in-game sound settings. Any display related cvars you're using as well (like cg_rendertotexturefx, broadsword [ragdoll], r_dynamicglow, etc.).

Do you have the latest stable DirectX version and official stable video card drivers? Any error messages on JA startup (check the console)?

And finally, what is your desktop (windows) color depth and resolution setting at? What is your monitor refresh rate set to?

You can check these in control panel under Display settings (advanced for the Refresh rate in Hz).

Oh that's right, you were one of the guys upset by such features as TrueView and RGB sabers, correct? If so, then yes, you should play on basejka. ;)

While I haven't done much Q3 engine modding myself, would it really be so hard to add a cvar to control these? You said earlier that the problem with those is that players don't know what they're getting. But you also said that those 'features' don't alter gameplay - this means that it wouldn't really matter to the player if they're getting that or not. Right? So why can't a simple cvar be added to toggle these? Then we're all happy. As for Meatgrinder, I'm still waiting for a good reason as to why g_debugmelee 1 is used.

In team-games you'll have to rely on the "honor system" for switching teams towards balance, but if you can stomach that, then you should be fine!

Basejka has an auto-team-balancer as well.

ZeroX2... do us a favor. Go through your display settings menus in JA and tell us what you have set for EACH option. Not just your res and depth, but everything that's listed please.

Also your in-game sound settings. Any display related cvars you're using as well (like cg_rendertotexturefx, broadsword [ragdoll], r_dynamicglow, etc.).

I don't think that would really help, as I've played around with the settings a lot myself. I've tried a range of different options.

Do you have the latest stable DirectX version and official stable video card drivers? Any error messages on JA startup (check the console)?

Yes, I have the latest DirectX and official drivers, no error messages.

And finally, what is your desktop (windows) color depth and resolution setting at? What is your monitor refresh rate set to?

1024x768, 32 bit, 60 Hz. But lowering these doesn't really make a difference.

Well, the problems that arise from having toggle cvars for everything is that people won't know what is and isn't available. This is a big problem for servers as you don't want to be able to go onto an OJP server and not know what is being played.

Plus, it's not as easy as you'd think to have server based cvars that control those options. Frankly, you're really the only person who's so purist about the OJP features. If it's that much of a problem for you, it sounds like basejka is more your speed.

Well, the problems that arise from having toggle cvars for everything is that people won't know what is and isn't available. This is a big problem for servers as you don't want to be able to go onto an OJP server and not know what is being played.

Plus, it's not as easy as you'd think to have server based cvars that control those options. Frankly, you're really the only person who's so purist about the OJP features

Sadly, I have to agree. The "you don't know what you are getting" referred to Xmod2, I think, with the ability to customize the guns. OJP lets you customize saber COLOR, but not damage, stances, etc. It really makes no difference, except more colors are available.

Let me quote something from the OJP website itself.

Our design philosophy is to make everything as separated and customizable as possible to allow developers and players to choose what features they wish to use.

Edit: Also, the following.

One is bug fixes and balance fixes, neither which will severely alter game play. They are designed to be the "unofficial patch" for bugs and game play problems. Basic can still be considered vanilla Jedi Academy. The other feature is map enhancements.

Which are the RGB sabers and True View? Bug fixes, or balance fixes? ...Or are they map enhancements?

Well, the RGB sabers are fun, since you aren't restricted to the default 6 colors.

Well, some of us prefer the standard JA ones. And what about the disco/flashing/ugly 'pimp' saber?

Edit: And I've noticed that some are glitchy. A black saber, for example, doesn't render when over certain textures.

If you prefer the standard, that's fine. The presets are still there. And I happen to agree about the pimp saber - It's a funny name, but it does'nt really do much.

Never played black. Never will. :)

You don't have to use them, but you're forced to see other people using them. I don't want to play with people that run around wielding invisible/black sabers and horrible disco lightsabers. What's the point?

Maybe I'll take some screenshots later on. But it's not just black blades - white has problems too, if I remember rightly. It could be a problem with one of my graphical settings, but it's a problem standard blades don't have. I think one of the problems occured when the blade was over a transparent surface, if that's any help. I'm not on my JA-PC at the moment, so I can't check.

Ahahaha!

Tchouky, you cad!

W...T...F... are you trying to say? That third-to-last word isn't even English. I don't even know if it's Earthling.

Well, this is fixed somewhat easily be simply adding a white blade to the core... It probably looks better too.

Um... we aren't talking about RGB sabers, here...

Tchouky, the man who made the RGB saber mod.

And yes, adding a white core will fix the total invisibility problem. You see, normally filtering light through something that is black and permeable causes it to cease to be black. This is normal behavior.

So, adding a white core fixes it.

That said, the black saber will no longer be a block of black light (which in fact is not natural and normally cannot exist under most circumstances), however it wll be a white core surrounded by black light. When put up to that map only the black glow will disappear, but the core will be visible. It's a good trade I think.

Archived