Home

Has anyone stood up to the cheaters yet?

MxBxZ

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, some airhead set it to 22.

BTW, Kurgan, I've been trying to get QTracker to work. When I click Connect, I get an error message saying it cannot find the file specified. Why not?

I don't know. Ask the author (Ron Mercer). Qtracker works fine for me.

If you want, I can give you his ICQ contact (I'm sure he won't mind).

What I don't understand is.. why you couldn't remove JA completely from your computer and then reinstall it with the patch.

I mean your discs were legit, and you were using a registry scanner to clean up any traces of the program that would make your computer think it was still installed.

My computer is more outrageous than I am. And I am known for pretty outrageous statements:

Are you nuttier than a fruitcake?

My computer is cheap, therefore it is substandard. I have a 2.6 gHz CPU, for example, but my CPU maxes out when I open a folder. If I can do those crazy things, and have a 256 MB Graphics Card act like a 128 MB... it wouldn't surprise me if the Registry was f----- up too. >:-(

And Add/Remove Programs did say there was 5 MB left. I don't see how, I eradicated it in my anger.

If I were you I'd do the following:

1) Get a good spyware remover like LavaSoft Adaware and Spybot (or both, preferably).

Scan your system and remove any crap.

2) Get a good registry clear (like Registry Mechanic.. it's worth it to buy it since you'll use it a lot!) and clean up your registry (after backing it up of course) and fix all problems.

3) Get a decent virus scanner (like McAfee), even if it's just a trial, whatever (long as it's up to date), but scan your entire system and remove any viruses.

4) Get the latest official video card drivers from the manufacturer's website.

5) Get any necessary windows updates from microsoft.

After all that, reboot. When you come back, and the dust has cleared, try to get your game running again.

It may take awhile to go through all five steps, but better now than never. It may just give you the boost you need by clearing up the most common pc problems people have these days (since you said you had plenty of free disk space).

You might even consider running windows scandisk and correcting any errors on your hard drive, but this could take a long long time (and you can't use your PC during it or have stuff running in the background that would screw up the test/fix).

You need not necessarily buy a new computer, just do a system backup and then reformat, and reinstall everything you need on a fresh slate.

PS: Does your PC ever overheat? Perhaps you need to open up your case and get a box fan blowing on the inside to cool the components. I know many systems run hot and that affects performance, especially in gaming.

Not only does my box have a fan, but my video card has a fan. I don't need a new computer, want one.

Dare to compare! My current system:

CPU: 2.6 gHz

Vid Card: 256 MB

Memory: 512 MB

15" monitor

I am using my boombox/stereo as speakers (my dad knows how to solder)

Hard Drive: 80 GB

The system I want (for $1000)

CPU: 2.8 gHz

Vid Card: 512 MB - 1 GB

Memory: 2 GB

17" monitor

7.1 Surround Sound, which I am getting for X-mas. (Imagine JA on that...)

Hard Drive: a whopping 200 GB.

I have Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus. I do run those. Surprisingly, all I get is the occasional adware. Surprising, considering the dozens of downloads. And if I haven't updated my nVidia drivers time and again, like once a few months...

JA works OK for now, and I can get servers where I am (though most are honorz JA+) so I'm OK for now. But I still will want to get it fixed. Besides, that gives me time to train myself with Jedi Master bots, the closest I can get to humans without the humiliation that comes with losing half the time. Bots don't make fun of you. ;)

Why only get an incremental improvement though? You could just upgrade for cheap. ;)

Your current comp is better than mine (2.0 ghz, everything else is double what I've got, except I have a 19in monitor and my hdd is 120 gig), so you shouldn't have a problem!

Norton kinda sucks, but their internet security might be good. I just know when I had system works and antivirus it was really bloated and missed stuff. Plus it only lasts a year before you have to buy it again.. ;P

At least if you're going to play with basejka bots, get DDS-Rerouted and DDS-Ibots, which make the bots competant. The basejka bots just flat out suck, jedi master or not. You can find the files on LucasFiles.com ;)

Oh, and these bots will make fun of you.

These new bots? So, if they try to do that Red Stance only Jump-to-top-down hack, and I roll out of the way, will they call me pathetic? I'll d/l it, but the first time they swear they're coming off. :)

And I am buying a new one because I got all that stuff on the cheap. Computer, Monitor, Printer, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, DVD-Rom and CD RW... all $400. Everything is substandard, and works half the time. :(

EDIT:

A quick JA Death Star FFA with 6 opponents... that was one hell of a session. My finger still hurts from the mouse button... and the phrases were AWESOME!!! My favorite was Rosh: I talk to much and I am annoying. Damn, the modder hated Rosh... :lol::rofl:

This is still a little on the incredible side, though. 7 minutes and 19-7... tsk.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5310/shot00350gu.jpg

ive experienced the wall grip/jump problem too.... i could never jump up from pits/ledges on the meatgrinder, but instead of disabling debugmelee, is it possible for the OJP to fix this?

Another thing, the autobalancing script has a bug which can be extremely annoying sometimes.... (i'm not sure how it starts, but) when there is just 1 human player ingame, and the team is somehow split 4-3(where the human is on the team of 3 players) at the time of say a 2nd human player joins, he will be constantly switched between the 2 teams while the bots remain the same. (ideally 1 of the bots on the team of 4 would join the team of 3), this happened to me about 4 or 5 times in the last couple of months

See, it's fun!

Yep. I never knew there were so many ways to spell "n00b". Or is it "noob"? Or "newb"? Or maybe "nub"? I've never seen them switch weapons on me before. I was playing Yavin CTF and this guy had the Disruptor across the middle bridge. I dodge left and right, feeling awesome... then the bot rockets me. My corpse flies high into the air with the greatest of ease... the daring dead guy on the rocket trail...

Awesomely, I see you're playing the JKII FFA map pack.

That makes one person we can invite to meatgrinder when we're running that!

Lemme train myself a bit better. I'm none too great just yet, I think my 17-9 score was on Padawan or something. Darn thing got reset... but I'll be happy to play online with Meatgrinder after I get my faster system, so I can play at 1024 X 768! :D

ive experienced the wall grip/jump problem too.... i could never jump up from pits/ledges on the meatgrinder, but instead of disabling debugmelee, is it possible for the OJP to fix this?

That's a good idea actually. I would willingly part with the infinite wall grab in exchange for the grapples and kicks, which is all I really want.

Say he could split the cvar into levels, like one level is the grab only, two is the grapples+kicks only, three is both and of course 0 is off. That would be pretty neat!

Or if this "wall force jump" thing is as you guys claim, perhaps Razor could just fix that part of it.

On the other hand could one look at this as a balancing feature? Ie: make the wall grab "weaker" in distance, to make up for infinite hang? I dunno, I swore it was the same before you guys pointed it out. ;P

Another thing, the autobalancing script has a bug which can be extremely annoying sometimes.... (i'm not sure how it starts, but) when there is just 1 human player ingame, and the team is somehow split 4-3(where the human is on the team of 3 players) at the time of say a 2nd human player joins, he will be constantly switched between the 2 teams while the bots remain the same. (ideally 1 of the bots on the team of 4 would join the team of 3), this happened to me about 4 or 5 times in the last couple of months

Weird. Well all I can say is I hope Razor can get it fixed, and he knows what you're talking about. Everyone is annoyed with the balancer not being perfect, myself included, but what can you do? He's the only one who can fix it.

So Kurgan, what do you have to say about the g_debugmelee 1? I'd certainly like to know how it's possible to do a normal wall jump with that setting.

When I get a chance I'll just need to do some testing until I'm satisfied that it's really screwed up. And I'll talk to Razorace about it.

When I get a chance I'll just need to do some testing until I'm satisfied that it's really screwed up. And I'll talk to Razorace about it.

Right, thanks. It really annoys me - as I find myself using that move often, only for it to not work properly and end up killing me. >_>

But if your mod really could have random weapon values, you have no idea what you're getting into when you join, and you have no way to master things unless you play a lot on the same server (and assuming the admin of that server doesn't just change things again on a whim).

That's exactly why I don't have toggles for every feature in OJP.

I have said this before - things such as TrueView and RGB sabers, which, while you don't have to use them yourself, you have to be in a server where other people can use them. This means that you have to see the RGB sabers - and the TrueView is a potentially gameplay-altering 'feature'. Which I'm uncomfortable with.

I've yet to see a rgbsaber on the meatgrider and it's been online for months. As for TrueView, I'm confused as to how this alters the gameplay. All it does is change your point of view.

Honestly the biggest problem with the auto switcher is that it wipes out your score.

I'm not sure how I want to change that as it could cause the team scores/autobalancer to really flip out. I've retooled how the balancer picks which player to move so it should be much more consistant with moving the bots instead of players. I don't think I've updated the server with that yet thou.

Good. I've noticed that most of the time, when I check the player list on Meatgrinder, there are only 0-3 humans, though. That reminds me - another thing I dislike about Meatgrinder is the random ping for bots setting. It just annoys me. >_>

Yeah, the meatgrinder population does vary a lot. I suspect it's normally the gametype playing that attracts or repels users. I haven't bothered to analyse our game logs about that.

As for the random ping for bots, it appears to make people happier about playing the bots. Many people are strictly anti-bot, no matter how good they are. As such, people will happily play against TABBots if they think they are humans. Strange, but true.

Even the TAB bots in OJP don't - in fact, they don't seem to use any force powers.

TABbots do use force powers. It's just that their force powering abilities are limited to the few powers that I've been able to program into the system.

Unfortunately most of the force powers involve a LOT of situational logic to be able to use properly like a human would. I simply haven't been able to deduce that logic yet, and noone has provided help in that area.

Sorry to butt in like this, but is there a mod that makes it so when your weapon is pulled away, you automatically get out the lightsaber? I was using the Flechette, and a DDS iBot pulled it away. It pulled out the saber, and it switched to the Pistol! I was sabered. :(

On a lighter note, QTracker works now. :D

So Kurgan, what do you have to say about the g_debugmelee 1? I'd certainly like to know how it's possible to do a normal wall jump with that setting.

Do it like you normally do it in a non-OJP game? I've yet to encounter the problem you seem to be having, perhaps you should practice until you learn how to do it.

Archived