Home

Has anyone stood up to the cheaters yet?

MxBxZ

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what he is saying is what I just noticed. I might be imagining it though. ojp loaded, g_debugmeelee active, FFA with no opponents. I jumped onto a wall, and gripped it and jumped off. But I didn't fly up in the air for a half second, I just went down. Not enough for a valid complaint, but I think that's what ZeroX2 noticed. If so, it doesn't really make all that much difference. If not, please correct me. :)

No, he's complaining about not being able to get his timing right to do the force wall jump.

It's not about timing. It's about it being impossible to perform at lower FPS counts. You seem to be under the impression that everybody can afford the latest hardware. We can't.

Fair enough, but the game does work with the mod installed and melee debugged. Bad things happen at lower fps on ANY game. Period. Sabers don't hit like they should. Force Pwers like Grip fail to connect. The entire game begins to lag. That happened to me, too: The built-in video card on my computer had 8 MB. And I played on it! I had res at minimum, no good textures, bilinear filtering and no anisitropy. You may want to turn down those settings until you can afford a better card.

Fair enough, but the game does work with the mod installed and melee debugged.

But the game is supposed to be played with g_debugmelee disabled. That is the default setting, and it is meant to be like that in most cases - the same goes for g_forceregentime, and the like. When I want to be able to climb over walls like Spiderman and perform other feats along those lines, I'll play JA+.

It's not about timing. It's about it being impossible to perform at lower FPS counts. You seem to be under the impression that everybody can afford the latest hardware. We can't.

I know we can't, that's why we have the ability to lower settings, if you don't want to do that, it's your fault.

But the game is supposed to be played with g_debugmelee disabled.

Not really, otherwise you'd be incapable of doing so in basejka. All the server admin has to do is type in a command and bam, melee mode on.

If it wasn't supposed to be played without it, there would be no play with melee, infact there would be no melee.

I know we can't, that's why we have the ability to lower settings, if you don't want to do that, it's your fault.

Again, you seem to be under the impression that everybody can afford the latest hardware. I do have my game on the lowest settings. Don't make moronic and false assumptions.

Not to sound like a flame here, but what kind of FPS counts are we talking about here?

And I agree with Sith.. why can't you lower your display settings to increase your FPS? Still, JA isn't exactly a high end game by hardware standards (except for dynamic glow, which you can easily turn off!). If your FPS counts are throwing off your timing of the wall-jump, I can't imagine what else it's throwing off...

Not to sound like a flame here, but what kind of FPS counts are we talking about here?

My FPS can be at anything between 1 and 30, depending on the map (as I said). A small map runs fairly well, especially when I'm looking towards a nearby wall.

And I agree with Sith.. why can't you lower your display settings to increase your FPS?

Erm, because they're at the lowest?

If your FPS counts are throwing off your timing of the wall-jump, I can't imagine what else it's throwing off...

Not much, actually. Why? Because you only have a split-second to press jump in order to perform a debug wall-jump. Try doing this with a lower frame rate.

My FPS can be at anything between 1 and 30, depending on the map (as I said). A small map runs fairly well, especially when I'm looking towards a nearby wall.

Any map runs well when you are looking at a wall. :) If your fps is bad, I am sorry. I wish there was a mod that reduces your field of vision, so you'd have better fps. My framerate varies even more than yours: On one spot on Tattooins (t1_sour), my fps is 5. On other parts, my fps is anywhere from 50 to 80, 100+ on a custom map that I've barely started sculpting.

Erm, because they're at the lowest?

Again, that hurts. I can't stand to play that low, I feel your pain. But like Sithy said, in a stronger way, why not save up for a better Video Card/Memory chip? I have upgraded my cards to 256 MB video card and 512 MB memory. If my CPU wasn't substandard, I'd be running on 1152 X 864, with 90 FPS through the game. Too bad I can't, till I replace this system. :(

Not much, actually. Why? Because you only have a split-second to press jump in order to perform a debug wall-jump. Try doing this with a lower frame rate.

Some of us can't. ;) And you have enoughtime. I timed myself just for you. To switch from a standard wall-grab to a debugged Spidey... thing... took me a half-second. JA is fast-paced enough that your reflexes are that quick, Padawan. ;)

my fps is anywhere from 50 to 80, 100+ on a custom map that I've barely started sculpting.

Whoa. >_>

Again, that hurts. I can't stand to play that low, I feel your pain. But like Sithy said, in a stronger way, why not save up for a better Video Card/Memory chip? I have upgraded my cards to 256 MB video card and 512 MB memory. If my CPU wasn't substandard, I'd be running on 1152 X 864, with 90 FPS through the game. Too bad I can't, till I replace this system. :(

I intend to buy a new PC fairly soon. But my point was that g_debugmelee 1 is pointless, annoying, and it was never meant to be enabled in games (it's a debug setting, after all).

I timed myself just for you. To switch from a standard wall-grab to a debugged Spidey... thing... took me a half-second.

You mean you have half a second in which to press the jump button a second time when g_debugmelee 1 is enabled in order to perform a Force Jump from the wall-jump, right? Because that's what I'm talking about. Just checking. ;)

Whoa. >_>

^_^

omg, I've been on forums too long.

I intend to buy a new PC fairly soon. But my point was that g_debugmelee 1 is pointless, annoying, and it was never meant to be enabled in games (it's a debug setting, after all).

Whoa, it means that? I thought debugmelee meant that you debug the melee, not play on a melee version! :xp:

You mean you have half a second in which to press the jump button a second time when g_debugmelee 1 is enabled in order to perform a Force Jump from the wall-jump, right? Because that's what I'm talking about. Just checking. ;)

Right. And I'm not kidding, either. It's real smooth and fluid. Just let go as you hit the wall (on yo' new system) and it'll go as normal.

Ouch, now it all makes sense!

This reminds me of how I tried to play Quake3 (on really low settings) with my Pentium 233 MMX (yes a pentium 1), 64 megs of ram and an 8 meg video card (voodoo2). I think 20-25 FPS was the average I got during "good times" heh. :)

I got through a LAN party with it, but man, when I upgraded... what a change!

Where are you vs. the official system requirements? I remember how when JK1 came out it said it required a minimum of a Pentium 90, but people with Pentium 75's played it and even somebody with a 486! (a very patient one)

With a FPS game you need a minimum of constant 30 FPS, but we should be getting 60 for smoothness sake. Anything above that is gravy... but for 3-D games that's pretty standard expectations (when console games action games perform below 60 you start getting complaints).

All I can say now is good luck!

what you think are the lowest settings might not actually be.

why dont you run through mjz's config guide and see if you can boost your performance a bit.

i must say that this will be very useflu for me!!! i have a ~472Mhz amd, so its very hard play JA (i used to play on friends...)

today i only play the MP against on bot at the smalest stage that i could find on the net.

[off topic]talking about mp scenarios, if any of you have a very very smal/ very very low scenario that could give me a link to download i apreciate

what you think are the lowest settings might not actually be.

why dont you run through mjz's config guide and see if you can boost your performance a bit.

I have configured all the various settings, but thanks anyway.

As for Meatgrinder - never mind. I'm sure there are many interesting players on there, but there are too many problems (the main ones, of course, being the chaotic team balancer, and the debug settings) in my opinion. I'll just look for another server.

Edit:

Where are you vs. the official system requirements?

Well, I don't have such a bad computer that I can't meet the minimum requirements. I have an Athlon XP 1.25 GHz (minimum being a Pentium 3 450 MHz), 512 MB of RAM (minimum being 128 MB), and a GeForce FX 5200 card (with the latest drivers). But of course, there's more to it than just what hardware you have. I use Windows XP and perform virus/registry/spyware scans fairly often. I've configured it all so that unnecessary programs do not run on start up, and I disable my anti-virus software whenever I play my games. I get fairly good start-up and shut-down times, few crashes (if any), and the like. Yet games never run at anything over 30 (and they're not capped at that, if that's what you're thinking), unless, of course, they're quite old - No One Lives Forever, for example, runs pretty well at 1024x768, as does Quake III Arena (I think I can actually get around 90 FPS in that!). Anything newer than those, such as Jedi Academy (funny, since it uses a modified Q3 engine), does not run well. *Shrugs*

Archived