Home

Favourite Starfighter

MachineCult

What are your favourite Starfighter(s)?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite Starfighter(s)?

• X-Wing
    • A-Wing
    • Tie Fighter
    • Tie Interceptor
    • Tri-Fighter
    • Vulture Droid
    • Republic Starfighter
    • ARC-170
    • Other (Bomber, Transport) Specify

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I disagree. The most powerful transport is probably the CIS Droid Gunship. I mean, its heavily armoured, so most scout fighter classes need multiple runs at it, it's heavily armed, with all those damn missiles it churns out plus the beam cannon, and it has lots of capacity for soldiers and multiple firing positions, so...yeah...erm...

I think I've flown the CIS Gunship least of all the ships, because some mangy computer always manages to beat me to it. Then they usually fly it into a wall or something. Or the enemy flagship. I mean, their hearts are in the right place, but the game's engine is too far behind their selfless attitudes to make it a worthwhile sacrifice.

I'd say that in the early stages of the game, the Y-Wing is my favourite, but I like cleaning up with the Interceptor the best. If I don't actually feel like blowing anything other than enemy ships up, I prefer the X-Wing. Come to think of it, I have a LEGO model of both the Interceptor and the X-Wing.

• 2 weeks later...
I like all interceptors except the tri-fighter. I also like the multi-purpose fighteres except the TIE Fighter. It saddens me that bombers are the only good thing that can destroy capital ship systems.

And should fighters have a bunch of bombs and heavy armor slowing them down? No. Why would anything but bombers be good at blowing up capital ships? That's what bombers are for... to drop bombs.

I didn't mean to say fighters should drop bombs but there missiles should be strong enough to deal a decent amount of damage. I hate losing the battle because I chose to dogfight with a fighter that yields about 2 points per kill rather than eternally bombing a ship to get the big ammounts of 50 and 60. The multi-purpose should have strong enough missiles so that you can switch from dogfight to bombing whenever you want.

I didn't mean to say fighters should drop bombs but there missiles should be strong enough to deal a decent amount of damage. I hate losing the battle because I chose to dogfight with a fighter that yields about 2 points per kill rather than eternally bombing a ship to get the big ammounts of 50 and 60. The multi-purpose should have strong enough missiles so that you can switch from dogfight to bombing whenever you want.

So what your saying is that all ships should be able to deal a lot of damage to capital ships? That would make space battles suck even more than they do now. Each type of ship should have it's own advantage - bombers are good at taking down capital ships but not so good at taking down fighters and/or dodging fire from other fighters, fighters are good at taking down other ships but not so great at taking down capital ships, and all-purpose fighters aren't strong in either, but they're not bad. There's such a thing as "unit balancing."

And about being disappointed that you lose battles as a fighter, you'll just have to live with it. You can either play as a fighter and take down a whole lot of enemies, or be a bomber and destroy the capital ship.

A capital ship system gives you about 20 points, and it takes me about 30 seconds to a minute to take one out. As a fighter, I'm usually able to get about 10 to 15 kills in about that same amount of time, and if I don't, I'm still way ahead of them. So really, it's not that hard to win a battle as a fighter, it justs takes a little more skill and effort.

No thats not what I'm saying at all. I said that multi-purpose fighters and bombers should be able to deal a decent ammount of damage, not the interceptors and transports. I don't really care about losing a battle against AI. By the way, hence the name MULTI-purpose. They are supposed to be good at everything.

Off-topic: About your sig, isn't POTC coming out May 21st? And whos the guy on the far right?

bombers are good at taking down capital ships but not so good at taking down fighters .

If you are as lucky as I am, taking down the occasional fighter with a bomber is not that uncommon. ;)

It is much easier to play on GC and win as a bomber, taking out the capital ship's frigates and and critical systems. Like EagerWeasel said, those who want a challenge (and have the skill), dogfight.

No thats not what I'm saying at all. I said that multi-purpose fighters and bombers should be able to deal a decent ammount of damage, not the interceptors and transports. I don't really care about losing a battle against AI. By the way, hence the name MULTI-purpose. They are supposed to be good at everything.

But you see, fighters and multi-purpose fighters shouldn't be able to do a "decent amount of damage". If you do that, that takes away the bomber's advantage. Fighters should not be able to do practically any damage to capital ships, and multi-purpose fighters are supposed to be average at everything, not good.

Off-topic: About your sig, isn't POTC coming out May 21st? And whos the guy on the far right?

No, it comes out May 25th, and the guy on the right is Sao Feng, the pirate lord of Singapore.

If you are as lucky as I am, taking down the occasional fighter with a bomber is not that uncommon. ;)

Actually, yes, I am able to take down fighters with bombers sometimes, if I get some good shots in. Since bombers are so slow, it's hard to keep up with them, so you have to take the shots quick.

• 3 months later...

Archived