Renegade Angel

Do you hate bad grammar?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate bad grammar?

• Yes
    • No
    • You're weird
    • Go away

You do know that it is actually incorrect to use I’m outside of speech.
I'm curious on your source for this tidbit. It sure as heck ain't in Strunk and White, or anything I've ever heard or read. Not saying you're wrong, just that I'd like to know what authority said it.

You are supposed to announce speech or quotation, or anything of that sort, with a comma.
This only applies if you are using a speaking word (says, asks, etc). I often grit my teeth at people doing stuff like:

Joe blinked, "What's going on here?"

'Cause unless Joe's learned to blink in morse code, that's just wrong-ola.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Technically, that sentence should be two: "Joe blinked. "What's going on in here?" He asked."

Alternatively: "Joe blinked. "What's going on in here?", he asked."

Also, if it was that he was blinking in morse it would be "Joe blinked 'what's going on in here.' Cindy-Lou-Kandyce replied 'the hoopla-girls are eating the Sith Lord's ears.'"

That way it makes a vast amount more sense-ola, and is right-la-la-tiddly-om-pom-pom ;) The comma thing is a rule of variable use. Personally, I only do that in rare circumstances when it can't be broken into two sentences.

edith: I would just like to announce that since my joining, I/we/he/you/the walrusses have now reached seven hundred useless or crazy posts.

Cuckoo k'choo!

:D

i dont 'hate' it exactly. but i dont like it. and i think LIAYD mentioned that ppl who type u instead of you and y instead of why are lazy. let me point out to you that not all of us enjoy spending 5 minutes in one post just to make it error-proof. you yourself have done that sometimes and you never capitalise your sentences. nor do i of course but i dont go around jabbing at ppl for bad grammar.

I never said I was perfect, nor did I even want people to proof-read their posts.

Errors are normal, we are all human, but typing "u" instead of "you", that's not making a mistake.

Typing "yu" or "oyu" is a mistake.

Typing "u" is plain lazy.

I don't understand this principle of "relaxation". Is it that hard to hit 2 more keys?

By the way, before you insult me, note that I do go through the effort of capitalizing my sentences. Hey, English is my third language. I learned Vietnamese and French way before and use almost exclusively French in my every day life.

I mean, look at people like coupes or D333. All from the same French speaking corner of this Earth and we spell better then some Americans or British.

This is really, I mean REALLY starting to get annoying. Can't we all just forget this grammar issue and move on with our lives? Is it that much trobule to keep your hands and pointers away from this thread for long enough to forget it and never argue this much again?

This is getting out of control. Can someone please close this before it's too late?

^^^Conceeded on the sense-ola of using single-quotes in the morse-code blinking case, though I think double quotes do work just as well there, for ease-of-use.

^^LIAYD, I never would have guessed that English wasn't your first language. That's very impressive.

^Vlad, why does it offend you so much? No matter that it irritates, people generally refrain from talking about grammar in response to most posts -- even ones with very bad grammar. What's so bad about having a place to discuss these things? Heck, you can even direct grammar scrooges from other places to a thread like this.

^Vlad, why does it offend you so much?

It does not offend me and I don't have against protesting.

No matter that it irritates

Well there's your answer, It's IRRITATING me really bad. I don't understand why is there so much of a fuss about this? It is like protesting about tickets existing. It's annoying, but you'll have to get used to it.

It's annoying, but you'll have to get used to it.

Now where would the world be if we always adopted that attitude? Honestly, I don't see why this is bothering you; there's no flaming or anything particularly heated going on here, just a friendly debate. If you don't want to read it, don't click on this thread.

Honestly, I don't see why this is bothering you;

This is bothering me because everyone is whining about not being able to read anything, while I understand everyone clearly as a quarz mineral crystal. And I think that if I, who is from a country that had NO connection to the English language what so ever; can read this, then I'm pretty sure that you would have no problem reading any of this.

If you don't want to read it, don't click on this thread.

You're right, this is really starting to annoy me. I'll stop posting on this one...

^^LIAYD, I never would have guessed that English wasn't your first language. That's very impressive.

It always feels nice to know I've impressed a beautiful woman :)

It's not always a matter of laziness.

Sometimes it's just trying to add a little spice to the broth

Not when it's a habit and its meant as a joke, which is about 95% of all "lazy posts".

Archived