Home

The Plastic Generation.

El Sitherino

I've noticed that nowadays more and more people are getting plastic surgery and flaunting it. We now even have people cheating natural health to appear fit. We can sculpt people to look like they're ripped by using various implant elements.

I can't go to the store without running into at least one woman with horribly fake breasts the size of the melons she's buying. It's disconcerting when we're having 8-year-olds get surgery so they can be a "pretty princess" or some other disturbing child pageant.

The irresponsibility this represents is appalling, people won't need to show restraint in what they eat, won't maintain a healthy amount of excercise, but they'll get all the (physical) results you get from healthy living, appearance wise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should ban this or anything, but I think we need to make some changes in our attitude towards cosmetic surgery.

It's not really a societal thing, as much as it's part of the humanistic drive for perfection. We're(not me though, good lord no) doing exactly what the Greeks would've loved to do two thousand years ago.

To tell you the truth, I think while some of the problem lies in the responsibility of those who have gotten cosmetic surgery, a large responsibility comes from the media. They're the ones portraying everyone with large biceps, silky-smooth skin, and generous breast sizes. And those aren't even natural; either the participants have cosmetic sugery themselves, or are airbrushed to perfection.

I would say it's more societal than humanistic. It all depends on where you are in the world. I mean in African Tribes a woman with large hips and a large butt is considered attractive, but not here in America. I do agree media plays a huge role. Personally I think some plastic surgery makes some women look ugly. Especially lip injections.

IS, you would not believe how much I agree with you. If someone has been in an accident and is disfigured, or was born with some sort of life hindering defect, or anything of that sort, I understand the need/want for plastic surgery. But all these people who feel uncomforable with themselves, and just jump right on the cosmetic surgery band wagon are simply disgusting. If you don't like the way you look, do something natural about it; it may take more time than surgery, but plastic just isn't pretty, it's fake and typically way too obvious.

Personally, I feel great about how I look. The majority of my lineage is German, so I was born with plenty of traits that show this, but I have no desire to get anything implanted in me, or taken out of me, anywhere to 'improve' my appearance. People need to wake up out of their freaky dream world of perfection. Accept yourself as you are, or take some natural steps to improve upon what you've already got. If you've got small breasts, be thankful; if your lips aren't huge, who cares? Your ass is big, congratulations, you look great in jeans; if you think that your face is a bit too round, live with it. These are the things that make people special; little 'imperfections' are so much more beautiful than plastic 'improvements'.

The media's view of 'pefection' is increasingly repulsive, and what people don't seem to realize is the number of people who are saying, "This isn't healthy." Get real, folks. That is the trend that should last forever.

Yeah. If these folks would just take a look at how fashion fads, trends and beauty looks have changed over the years in this country alone (I'm speaking of the USA, my home), or even other cultures, you'd think that would clue them in that this is all shallow BS to get people's money.

I agree with you about people being maimed in accidents or being disfigured at birth. These are the kinds of people the surgeries were originally designed for, and could benefit. People who do it for vanity just make me shake my head. In many cases when you see what the people looked like before, they looked FINE, now they look like frankenstein.

And very often the people who get it, still aren't satisfied and have to get two or three more operations to "improve it" (like you hear about models getting their breasts enlarged two or three times, and then getting them "reduced" or having to do it all over again because one of the plastic bags broke).

It's really sad how folks feel the need to do this, and especially when that money could have been better spent. ;P

The worst is when I hear about parents buying breast implants for their daughters when they turn 18 (and of course giving them birth control implants at the same time). You can just imagine what they're thinking:

1) Okay daughter, get these and the boys will like you.

2) And since the boys will like you, get this so you don't give us a grandchild.

Ugh.

Of course it's not just women (though it's heavily towards women and always has been). They try to get men to get the bicep implants or calf implants or penis surgery (when they're not satisfied scamming them with "penis enlargement" pills or exercises or devices that don't work).

I think he means obese people, buddy.

Or were you reacting to the statement that some Africans find those things attractive?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should ban this or anything, but I think we need to make some changes in our attitude towards cosmetic surgery.

And I'm wondering if we should. Put an age limit on unnecessary changes and so on.

Sure, some plastic surgery is necessary, such as the restoration of breasts destroyed by breast cancer or an ear destroyed in a fire, but things like operating away wrinkles or enlarging your lip is just weird.

I'll second TK's what though. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but people are growing rather fond of a big ass and meaty thighs.

Observe J'Lo.

Anyway, age restrictions already exist with plastic surgery in the US, under 18 you have to have parental consent, but no one under 16 can get an operation, even with parental consent. What's happening is people are either going to unlicensed people in the US or going to places in South America to get the surgery done on their children.

A sad fact is (about) just as many children will get cosmetic surgery as adults.

I think he means obese people, buddy.

I'll second TK's what though. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but people are growing rather fond of a big ass and meaty thighs.

I was not talking about obese people. I have read and have seen documentaries on The Discovery Channel stating that tribal men from Africa and South America find a women with larger hips and rear to be more attractive than a skinny woman in that she can bare more children. I am not talking about how men like big butts. Although I like a bigger butt like J'Lo's. LOL

Archived