• Commander
    • Droideka
    • Engineer
    • Jet/Dark Trooper
    • Jedi

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. Though it makes sense that it doesn't have the electrosraff because the Magna Guard would overpower the rest of the units.

No, quite the opposite. All the other units would overpower it. The electrostaff would only be useful for fighting Jedi, and would be pretty much worthless against anyone with blasters, rockets, etc.

Of course from the moment they decided to include MagnaGuards they should have known that problems would be spawned. Giving them a blaster was the obvious choice, but that completely mess the unit's relation to the movie. Why they didn't include a cloak is beyond my understanding; they really look stupid without one.

The possible solution I see is to give them both a staff and a blaster of some sorts. I would let them keep the bulldog thingy, scrap the launcher and replace it with a staff. To make them "viable", I'd buff their health a little (kind of like a wookie) and make it so that staves do more damage to Jedi heroes.

...To make them "viable", I'd buff their health a little (kind of like a wookie) and make it so that staves do more damage to Jedi heroes.

Their armor is already increased to the level of a Wookie. Both take 3-4 sniper shots to go down.

It seems no one dislikes the normal trooper. I can think of one thing I dislike about them: the weapon seems to 'overhead' much faster than SWBF. I may be wrong, but it feels that way to me. The shots also scatter in a wider range from the target.

I also miss the increased splash damage in rockets from BF1, it made the guy think twice before shooting you from point blank range with a rocket, you would have gotten killed in your own blast. Now although this can still kill you, you have to be alot closer for it to work.

As for the magnaguard, quite frankly I would have preferred an actual droid commander... but seeing how that didn't happen... The staff could be cool if done right. I mean in a world of blasters and ranged weapons you'd have to be an idiot to carry only a melee weapon, unless you have somthing to even the odds (like the force, super stealth, lotsa health, the ability to reflect shots, whatever) So he could have some sort of back up weapon, as well as his commander effects etc. (These are a must, after all they are using him as a commander class) or increase his speed with a good amount of health, so he can survive long enough to get too the enemies. It should also be immune to headshots, it would be cool if shot in the head, his head pops off and he is dealt serious damage, but he isn't killed, like in the movie, or LEGO star wars. He would be an interesting unit to play, his style would be a bit different from other units, but hey, it's unique stuff like this that make games more fun, so long as they arn't over/underpowered It would be cool (and in my opinion preferable to the current setup). Or if that's to complicated they could always go with the normal commander droid (you know the guy with yellow markings, the one currently serving as an engineer...)

I also miss the increased splash damage in rockets from BF1, it made the guy think twice before shooting you from point blank range with a rocket, you would have gotten killed in your own blast. Now although this can still kill you, you have to be alot closer for it to work.

I too miss the increased splashed damage. I suppose it was changed to make the AI more stronger since they won't die easily. In SWBF, when I used an AAT it was quite effective.

I do not miss the splash damage for energy weapons. I do miss the forces from explosive weapons. If you where in range of a gernade, missile, or other explosive weapon it pushed you back or into the air. This no longer effects frendly troops and make the game much less realistic.

... The shots also scatter in a wider range from the target.

I'm noticing this with a LOT of the troops in BF2. I used be a Jet Trooper quite a bit in BF, I loved the EMP launcher. But if you watch it, especially in zoom level, in BF2 it takes a distinct arc after some distance.

It seems missile or projectile type weapons don't fly perfectly straight, and laser/blaster types scatter with distance.

Oh yes, one other thing I have to add to my dislike of the heavy weapons class: mines. NO where near as effective as in BF1. It seems you have to walk right on top of them for them to go off. I've placed them around corners, only to have enemy units go running right past them. And, I don't know about this yet, but is that bright red glow seem by ALL? I mean, in BF1 they glowed, but if everyone (I mean enemy units) sees the same bright red glow as when I lay them, then they are completely ineffective, since anyone would see that and just side step around them.

Oh yes, one other thing I have to add to my dislike of the heavy weapons class: mines. NO where near as effective as in BF1. It seems you have to walk right on top of them for them to go off. I've placed them around corners, only to have enemy units go running right past them. And, I don't know about this yet, but is that bright red glow seem by ALL? I mean, in BF1 they glowed, but if everyone (I mean enemy units) sees the same bright red glow as when I lay them, then they are completely ineffective, since anyone would see that and just side step around them.

Yes, the mines' glow can be seen from everyone. However, most units can't destroy them well. A clone commander, for instance, can only destroy one mine. It can only destroy the mine by using its recon droid to blow it up. It is too easy to trap units with a 3 well placed mines.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, did anyone relate some minuses and pluses to units, due to online play? If you have played online, you'd know in BF I, that all Rebel Rocketers have 2 shots per cannon and 10 ammo. In the halls of Bespin Cloud City, let's say it's not the first thing you want to be killed by as soon as you spawn. They reduced splash damage becasue of maximum pwnage from rocket-ho's. Also, they added a limited amount of units because you would literally see only rocket ho's or Recon Droid ho's. If you hate the Engineer in this game, obviously you aren't effective at taking units down right. A simple blaster cannon shot can kill a unit instantly, and if used at good distance, a detpack owns a crowd of enemies. And health and ammo?! I call him the glory unit. If a unit is going to be hated, it's most likely to be the Droideka, Jedi, or the Clone Commander. Otherwise, every other unit is quite manageable, you guys just might need to warm up to them. Play Elite, and get used to it. If you think the mines are useless, try using them at CP #3 on Polis Massa...

Trooper: Super Battle Droids should have more splash damage with missle launcher

Sniper: Not enough good sniping spots, should give units proning again, has terrible close-range combat which keeps them from getting to any good sniping posts

Engineer: Overpowered for a pilot unit

Rocketeer: Mines should be like they were in SBFI

Magnaguard: Needs a cloak and a staff as a secondary weapon, maybe swap main weapons with the Imperial Officer

Clone Commander: no legitimate comlaints found

Imperial Officer: Sonic blaster should have same effect but look more "Imperialistic"

Bothan Spy: Should remain totally invisible until fatigue runs out (or unit switches weapons, dives or starts dashing), should have a backup weapon for the Incinerator

Droideka: no legitimate comlaints found

Jet Trooper: Needs more jetpack fuel and more precise EMP launcher

Dark Trooper: Should be able to keep charging while jumping

Wookie Warrior: no legitimate comlaints found

Give me some input and I'll edit it in.

I'm going to say, I think the bothan should have some sort of weapon besides the incinerator, yes it's an okay weapon, but he needs somthing else to fall back on, nothing too fancy, maybe just somthing along the lines of a pistol, so he has a slight chance of survivel when out of his element, also as a weapon that doesn't have the potential to incinerate allies in crowded fights.

Maybe some sort of stun pistol? deals minor damage and incapacitates the enemy for a bit, so normal troops can finish him, or you can run up and incinerate the guy. It could be chargeable, so you can increase damage, and stun time, but doing this also increases the recharge rate. Maybe even give the fully charged count an instant kill.

Or is the bothan already good the way he is? I think he's okay, his incinerator is a cool weapon, he just needs somthing to give him a bit more of an edge, thats all.

...they added a limited amount of units because you would literally see only rocket ho's or Recon Droid ho's. If you hate the Engineer in this game, obviously you aren't effective at taking units down right...
The rocket trooper isn't limited. Complete rocket troopers maps are still possoble. I think most people hate the Engineers not because they can't kill units with it, but because its too easy to kill units with it.

I think the sniper is too weak in close combat. Increase the power of its pistol or give it a crosshair on normal view.

Yes, remove the glow from the mines, and make them destroyable from blaster fire.

Giving the Magnaguard a cloak would turn it into a Bothan Spy like unit. The units in SWBF2 don't vary between sides as much as in SWBF and I think they need to.

The Bothan Spy needs a backup weapon. One quick roll from an alert enemy and he is out of the Bothan's range. The incinerator reloading times seems the same as a rocket trooper's. Plenty of time for the enemy to kill the low armored Bothan. A weak pistol or the ablity to shoot at a distance a weak, short burst/jet of fire seems fine for a secondary weapon.

Yeah, I would rather have the non glowing, more easily destroyable BF1 mines to the glowing BF2 mines, but keep the engineers ability to disarm them with the fusion cutter. Time bombs and Det packs should also be shootable in my opinion, I know you will rarely use this, but there are certain situations, I'm thinking of a time in SWBF1, I was getting into a snowspeeder and some guy planted a time bomb on it, I just jumped out shot the bomb quickly and took off. Sure it's obscure, but it's nice to have the ability.

Also I would also say increase the amount of mines back to four, three just seems like too awkward a number. It might seem a bit overpowering, but I think it would balance out with the ability to shoot mines, any mines just throw without much thought would probably be located and destroyed.

Maybe they could give the engineer class some sort of mine detecting ability? Like mines glow for them only, or they can see them on the mini map, somthing a bit more realistic then mine immunity, to sort of help balance out the engineer class and mines as well.

(actually, I would be for giving mines to the engineer class in exchange for some other items, and giving the Heavies somthing else in return. I just sort of feel they fit the engineer class more then they do the Heavy, but that would require alot more tweaking and balancing, the current layout is probably for the best.)

Sniper ain't that bad. Check out the size of her ass! 3rd person view forever, methinks.

With so few vehicle/dominated levels, what's the point of the rocket guy? Especially when my teammates are so efficient with grenades.

omg redtech.

Instant kills (the rocket guy i mean) and mines.

I chose Droideka because their blasters are so inaccurate! They never hit the enemies! And the shield doesn't last long at all. Even if it did, the clone troopers would constanly throw grenades at you and wear down the shield instantly. Plus you walk so slow, but you roll too fast!

CloneArcman, always thought rocket guys were supposed to own vehicles, but with most vehicle levels tighter than Victorian London streets then grenades are more dangerous than...anything, besides instakill rockets of course. ;)

Destroyers really suck, most of the late game classes aren't worth it. If you have the skills to get them, then you probably don't need them.

Yeah, I agree, I hardly ever use any of the late game classes. The only ones I really use are the Wookiee, Magnaguard (rarely) and occasionally the Clone Commander, everyone else I almost never use.

The imperial officer just sucks, the jet trooper and dark trooper I find much to weak to use effectivly, and the droideka is too awkward. The bothan is cool, but I think their arn't enough situations for him to be useful, they do have their moments however. Wookiees, Magnaguards and C.C.'s have uses, but all in all I don't really use them that much.

All in all I think the commanders need somthing else going for them beside the commander effect, I mean it's a cool idea, but how often does it really make a diffrence? I think it would be cool if the effect was permanent. Like the imperial officer would have allies deal bonus damage all the time, he doesn't have to activate it or anything. This would encourage people to crowd around commanders to get the effect, and you wouldn't have to worry about activating it at the right time, it's always there! Plus now enemies have incentives to snipe out that pesky commander early.

It might be kind of weird for the magna guard though... Maybe just get rid of the toxin and give him somthing else? Or maybe it could stay, it might be kind of cool to have a poisonous unit you don't want to get to close to, for fear of poisen. (an interesting idea I had, how about changing the Magnaguards recon droid to one of those crawling Octuptarra droid things, it could crawl around, shoot, but it's main usefulness would be when it was killed it would release a neuro toxin, like the magnaguards current ability. I think it would sort of fit, after all didn't they actually use them for that purpose in the EU? also, although it's not as damaging as an explosion, it doesn't have to wait to detonate, it happens as soon as the droid croaks. Good idea or bad?)

Other ideas for commanders, they could have auto spawning NPC body guards, maybe they could hand out supplies, or designate other units as health or ammo carriers, they could capture command posts twice as fast as normal units, or maybe they are the only unit with the ability to capture CP's. Okay maybe that's a bit drastic, but they do need somthing, not necessarily combat oriented, to make them a bit more useful, after all you want to make them worth unlocking...

... and so ends my rant, most of these ideas probably wouldn't work, either being overpowered or just plain confusing, I'm just trying to come up with ways to improve the commander.

I like every unit except for one....the Droideka. They're no fun to fight, and no fun to play as imo.

My reason is simple: Whne the BF team created the Droideka for the game they tried to keep as real to the movie as possible. So they gave it WAY to much firepower. Once they realized this they decided instead of weaking the firepower a little bit they gave it all these handicaps like being hard to control when rolling, taking too long to swith from rolling to standing, and walking WAY too slow. The end result is a balanced, but no fun Droideka.

Archived