Home

Sony PSP

Darth Groovy

So yeah, I am going to get a PSP for X-mas, and I am curious about games. I'm pretty excited about having such a versitle media player on such a small scale. This bad boy plays games, movies, and mp3s.

Which games are the best, and how much memory do you recomend. Also, which accessories are best, and which ones should I avoid, they make a boat load of accessories for this thing, and I don't always get enough feedback off my customers.

PSP owners, sound off.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend getting a PSP with firmware version 2 or under. That way you can downgrade to 1.5, and play home-brew programs, opening up a range of new features. Some games require you to update, though. I'd also suggest you buy memory by SanDisk. I hear those cards can be re-formatted to double the memory.

Overall the PSP is pretty good.

One thing I have to say first:

*** IMPORTANT***

Spend the extra money on the warrenty!

*** IMPORTANT***

The PSP suffers from a few problems. (not to sound like getting down on it, but you should know this before you buy one.)

1) Dead/Stuck pixels- the screen has a nasty habit of getting stuck pixels. I have one on mine. Luckly, its not in a bad place. There is a video that supposedly fixes it by flashing different colours on the screen , but I havent tried it yet. You can find it here if you need it: PSP Pixel Fix. You might want to download it now so you have it handy latter. Ofcourse its up to you, but I certainly recommend it as it seems to be a well documented problem. If you have a plazma monitor, it should work on that too. (assuming it works. Some people claim it does, some people claim it dosen't)

2) Under dust- Don't know what else to call it. Dust gets under the screen and there is no way to clean it. You could take it apart, but that would void the warranty.

3) Screen bubble- The screen sometimes gets bubbles. Sometimes you can press them out, sometimes you can't.

Okay, now that I've alerted you to some of the "bugs," on to the good stuff!

Things to buy!

1) Speakers- If you plan to watch movies, buy external speakers. The onboard speakers are 2 slits on the botton of the unit. Games sound ok, but movies are very low on it. It comes with headphones; but do you want to watch a movie wearing headphones? I bought the Logitech Speakers for it. The difference is very noticable. There is also a "movie dock" thats pretty cool. The one I bought comes with a remote control. Though considering the screen size, why you would be far enough away to need a remote control is beyond me!

2) Hard case- There are many different hard protective cases for it. I recommend getting one if you plan on taking it anywhere. It also helps with preventing "under dust."

3) Extra battery- The battery life is lacking. You probably want to get a second battery if you plan to play it where there isn't a power outlet handy. Watching movies really drains the battery. 1 battery= 1 movie. (not exactly, but close enough.) You might want to get the external battery charger, as well.

4) Memory stick- It comes with a 32mb memory stick. If you look at how many mp3s fit on a 32mb stick, you can get an idea of how much memory you need. At the moment, the largest memory available is 1gig. I hear that 4gig sticks are going to be available soon, but how soon is soon, I don't know. (hehe) The memory sticks you need are the Memory stick Duos, available from many different manufacturers. If you have a digital camera and experience with memory sticks, just go with the brand you feel most comfortable with.

Well, thats all I can think of in terms of essential accesories.

Games are really a matter of preference. One thing to note- the PSP has only one analog stick. This might not seem like a big deal, but developers have come to rely on a second analog stick, even if only for camera control. For some games, the lack of a second analog stick can be fatal.

I would recommend searching through the Gamefaqs PSP section for reviews.

I will say that I am addicted to Tony Hawk Underground 2: Remix. I've been playing it every night at work for over a month now!

Hope that helps!

It' s not an analog stick, it's a slider. I don't like it though, it doesn't feel that great.

BAH Humbug!

If I called it a slider, people would have been thinking "whats a slider?" Well, that and I never heard it called a slider. guess I'm not cool enough to know all the lingo :xp:

But yea, it dosn't feel all that great. Its a bit too sensitive, for one thing.

Don't let the DS People see this thread.... >.>

I was thinking about a PSP/X360 after my birthday and christmas. My friend has a PSP and says that the PSP version of Battlefront 2 is awesome. I've played it, its pretty cool.

The fact that they even made that for the PSP made me think of getting one. If it has even an ounce of what makes the SWBF2 good, i'm getting it.

Curious though, what does "ad-hoc" mean? In a review I read for SWBF2 on the PSP, it says it has multiplayer via "ad-hoc". I have no idea what this means.

Curious though, what does "ad-hoc" mean? In a review I read for SWBF2 on the PSP, it says it has multiplayer via "ad-hoc". I have no idea what this means.

It just means you can connect your PSP to another one wirelessly. Kinda like connecting two Game boys, but with out a wire. hehe. Cool thing is, you only need one copy of the game. (not sure if thats always the case, but I know it is for some games.)

FYI, if you didn't know:

You can also connect to the internet if you have a wireless signal. They call this infrastructure mode.

Just for the record, the PSP/Sony 'fanbois' are every bit as annoying as DS/Nintendo fanbois ...

Wireless modes:

- Ad hoc is local PSP-to-PSP ... and for the most part the 'one cart' play is as good as for the GBA (i.e. crap) - for *real* gaming you need multicart.

- Infrastructure mode is wireless LAN.

Battlefront II for PSP is a real mixed bag. I recently submitted my GamerDad review, but it isn't up yet for me to link (I will when it is) - I can't recommend it at $50 ... or $40 ... perhaps $30.

Part of the problem is that FPS *SUCK* on the PSP. Best to date is SOCOM, which is still nowhere *near* as good as the DS control in Rogue Agent (not talking game quality, just controls).

GTA Liberty City Stories is a *MUST HAVE* for PSP. The worst thing is the save system, but the game is so good you will forgive that. This was my first GTA game, and I loved it.

XMen is decent as well, but the majority of the non-racing lineup is crap.

Other features like music and video are OK, but are second rate compared to dedicated players.

The whole upgrade 2.0+ is a mess ... you have to upgrade to get the newer games to run (fake out schemes won't work), so you are in a quandry. Personally, I have kept full up to date.

Mike

One cart multiplayer means only one person has to have the actual game cart to play and then the other players who want to play download from your handheld which allows them to play a multiplayer game with you. The DS has some damn good one cart multiplayer options, the best I've seen so far is Advanced Wars where you are basically sent the entire game, the catch is that the person who has sent it to you has to keep their connection with you open otherwise the game locks itself and tells you to shut down, so it's mostly a demo thing. But still cool.

Multi cart is where everyone needs a copy of the game to play a multiplayer game.

Now about this wireless connection. Without an existing wireless internet, that's pretty much moot right?

Yeah, but you can get a base station so cheap that if you're even thinking about it for something like SOCOM you should pick one up.

I might also need some help with the media downloads and what not. I get dozens of questions about how to do things with the PSP, but i'm pretty much clueless.

Bottom line: get a USB type A to B (small to large) connector, and Windows will recognize the PSP when you choose 'USB Connection' from the main screen. You can then dump in your MP3's and Pictures in their folders under 'PSP' - although you should note that you can only have a 'Music\Artist' folder hierarchy, any deeper is not recognized.

Video has to go in a different directory, MP_ROOT and then in the '100MNV01' folder. There is not a direct way to rip DVD's, but you can find the tools through PSPVideo9 ... with decent quality, Episode III took up ~350MB on mine.

Also, on the memory front, if you look hard enough (or get a good enough discount) you should be able to get 1GB for pretty cheap, and depending what you plan to do that is the way to go. I have ~20MB of pictures, ~150MB of music, ~350MB of video, and still have tons of free space.

Mike

Archived