Home

Sony PSP

Darth Groovy

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a thread discussing my free stuff. this is a PSP thread. Resume that discussion, please.

So, as ya'll know, I got a free computer and a free ipod from the company, and I'm trying to get a free ipod now. If anyone wants to help me get a free one, I'll either send you a game, a few CDs, or 5 bucks. (PM me or IM me on AIM at eyeneek)

:emodanc:

Moving right along...

I played Twisted Metal Head On today.... still having a problem with the controls, but the game looked pretty. It's like the old PSX game I remember, but with better graphics, and great sound. X-Men Legends II, I want for sure, but i'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on my second game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... but i'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on my second game.

Hi Grooves, just popping in quickly to give my 2c about the psp.

I have a japanese release 1000/1.5.

I have a sandisk 1gb and sony hi-speed 2gb stick. The sandisks are quicker, but their 2gb variety are a bit more elusive and expensive atm

My fave games are

*Pro Evo Soccer 5 - an excellent port - awesome in ad-hoc too ;)

*Burnout - awesome and fun ! very faithful to its console counterpart

*Virtua Tennis - this one definitely suprised me - great fun

*Legend of Heroes - For classical RPG fans

I hired BF2 to try and didnt like it all . Quite simply I could get used to the controls. Because the analogue slider stick doesnt move in 3d you have to use it in combination with the buttons to get the free look. If you can get used to this, you might like it, I couldnt :( (but I do like the console version)

Re - UMD movies - I wouldnt bother. The UMD format is limited. Id recommend getting the standard DVD and using a great free proggie called PSP Video 9 to convert them to mp4s to watch on the psp.

also, converting your mp3s to mp4 may shrink them in size a bit, which is handy :)

*formatting sandisks to "double" their memory is a myth :p

*alot of new games pester you to upgrade your firmware. If you do not want to do this, there are ways around it....

*psp isnt compatible with password encrypted wireless setups, which alot of ppl have at home(including me) :( You need a good ole wireless access point setup. Im back at uni a day a week nowdays and the whole campus is a hotspot, its awesome :)

*for a music fan like you, its handy to know that people are now using the streaming and remote connection capabilities to stream music into their psp from their home pc/server ! This eliminates the need to put them on your memcard - very handy for people with larger music collections. This will only work with the latest versions of the firmware...once again - this is good if you live/work near a hotspot...

*feel free to pm me if you have any tech questions :)

*emus - There are some great emulators out there, but these only work with firmware 1.00-1.50. Ive been playing MarioKart and Chrono Trigger quite alot since I installed the snes emu :)

mtfbwya

Astro thanks for the input....and check your pms.

I decided to pick out X-Men Legends II, and Twisted Metal Head On to get started. Right now I got my eye on Prince of Persia, Midway Extended, and King Kong, as well as a few others.

Movies, I picked up two cheap ones....Reign of Fire (yeah I actually like it), and Hellboy.

I guess i'll post more after the holidays when I get to open it up and try it out. :p

I decided to pick out X-Men Legends II, and Twisted Metal Head On to get started. Right now I got my eye on Prince of Persia, Midway Extended, and King Kong, as well as a few others.

I would advise caution on the Midway ... I got it immediately this week due to some of my faves from the early 80's arcade - Arch Rivals, Gauntlet, Joust and mostly Sinistar. Arch Rivals works well, as does Gauntlet, Joust has sloppy controls and Sinistar is a total wreck. The only way I can describe it is ... picture watching a widescreen movie on one of those old 'portrait' monitors (the ones that were very tall with the aspect ratio of a piece of paper) - it has blank screen on both sides and everything is too small.

You should see how it runs the games you're interested in before buying.

Mike

my christmas list is as follows:

sony psp:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241869.asp

$249.99

socom game for psp:

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/006SOC

$29.90

and a carrying case for the psp:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255718.asp

$9.99

and i suggest you get your games off gogamer.com, you wouldn't realise how good they are. socom is $10 less there than on ebgames. and all the games are cheaper.

Archived