Home

Thoughts on NGE.

BritishAllStar

I have played SWG for a long time myself but unlike the usual people who state this, I am not going to cry like a little child.

NGE is a big improvement and quite a good one at that! The client chrashing bug was a big pain in the arse but luckly now that is fixed.

The combat is alot better and alot more realistic and you don't see any morons huddled in a group any more with their marcos thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. The targetting and shooting system now also replaced the horrid old one where it was unfair and totally unrealistic.

The game is still a rpg with slight fps in it to make it more realistic and it tries to introduce space as a place to go through/in as well.

The character respecs were most likely annoying but its not a big deal, not going to make you lose too much sleep at night.

The starter area is truely fanastic and gets you straight into the nitty gritty straight away teaching you the controls, you have to be braindead not to be able to figure it out with the tutorial (I didn't even need the tutorial it was so simple).

I looked at the classes and they are very well done and quite inventive in places though I am not too keen on the trader being very specific.

Jedi Rant:

There should be some improvements in the game and the number one is for BH to be able to hunt down Jedi again.

Seriously, it was bad enough before the NGE with jedi's running around going "i aer 1337" which was a great pleasure of mine to hunt them down and slaughter them as they start crying "omfg hax" because they lost but now everywhere I turn around almost there are jedi.

I do agree that the old system wasn't right for grinding billions and billions of xp for the class but Jedi's still have it far too easy. During the time period the only jedi was basically Luke Skywalker, Vader and the Emperor (though there were force witchs etc in EU) and I liked the thing were it said that jedi's had to watch themselves and becareful or Boba/Vader slaughtered them as well.

I am sick of these whining jedi as well, they are level 10 and they start booing "I am not liek lukezz skywalker and pwn evathin". Get realistic, remember order 66? The jedi didn't nessecary surrive that very much for being god like characters and that is because they are not invicible at all, they are just good.

Then there is the jedi root moan. "omfg I cna't root" though they can slow other character right down and have supersonic speed and bam you are dead.

End of the day, they are jedi, they have it far too easy and they are ungrateful sods.

-end rant-

lol those sound like wise observations to me.

I stopped playing galaxies a couple of months before the space expansion came out, and i have to say that this revamp has rekindled my interest. I never did any quests when i played because there was no motivation, as the rewards were always crap, crafting was positively boring and really the only reason to play was for the community, and i wasnt really losing anything because the people i played with are pple im friends with outside the game anyway. Really the only "motivation" to do anything in the game was to level up and the only way to do that was to grind day in day out, which was about as much fun as the homework i was ignoring by playing SWG.

The NGE (whatever the hell that stands for) looks like its revamped the system a bit to make it more interesting and fun, and the loss of all the professions isnt much of a worry to me. As far as i was concerned, they were all the same anyway. Combat classes still spent hours in the middle of nowhere shooting the samecreatures but it was just with different guns/swords. Crafters were still macroing their little hearts out, but the resources they use and the items produced(which up until the highest levels, dont get used anyway) were different. After exams i may just give that 10 day trial a go.

One question tho, I've got a bought copy of SWG from when it first came out, is that still useable? what else do i need to play the game in its current state?

My rant goes like this,

what the hell is SOE's problem in not catering for all customers with pre-cu, cu and nge servers? dont give me that bs they cant have 3 teams looking after the servers, they got plenty of money for that but I guess at the end of the day, the money for their solid gold houses must come from somewhere.

I am also sick of pro-nge players.

"I looked at the classes and they are very well done and quite inventive in places "

Sorry but that reminds me of a 12 year old's homework book essay in set 3 that was done on the bus to school. "It woz well dun"

How is decimating 30 professions and putting together the pieces with pritstick inventive? na I call it brutal un-needed downsizing and a sad attempt to make it easier for the numbskulls of a dev team to attempt balancing and fixing. Doesn't seem to be working atm does it?

I however applaud them for changing /dump to /dumpp for no reason, that was a much needed fix.

"The game is still a rpg " ....bull****. Diablo2 is more of an rpg, at least that allows you to choose the skills you want and what to focus on out of several trees. NGE doesn't even allow this, its one path for everyone. Should be really interesting for you when a bunch of clone cl 90s are running about. A bunch is being nice though, I should say a couple when the population of swg plummets.

I hated the CU. I did not think anything could be worse. How wrong I was.

Before you call me a "Jedi Whiner", I was destroying everyone in duels including cl 85 as a spy, hell even the NS were cannon fodder. 2 days worth of playing NGE, I got BORED although 1 day was basically saying goodbye and giving stuff/credits away.

"The combat is alot better and alot more realistic" Yep realism. If I wish for some good old realism, I play OFP or Rogue Spear where you die from one shot most of the time, such is life. But what is this? SWG:MMORPG, a game based on rulesets not who clicks fastest but who understands the most and sure, who has the most time as well.

Please, have this bugger off free of charge from me, if you think real life has CL people walking around with the ability to be shot several times and then magically heal themselves to full health. This is a game, an rpg where you are supposed to be able to do things you can not do in real life and should not be forced to be realistic when really doing that just makes it more of a joke.

You like it though, cool, not your fault you like simplified buggy backtothestart games.

Oh! one more attack please, if you are really british I am ashamed we have such people willing to defend SOE/LA's disgusting actions.

What I find even more annoying is the legion of whiney no-lives who carry on about how they've been "hung out to dry" by the revamps, going on about the game as though it was some masterpiece that has been butchered. The game was CRAP before, otherwise they wouldnt have changed it. There were not "30 professions" there were 2 or 3 with 10 different possible names. I stopped playing pre cu galaxies because it was boring, uninspired and flawed, the game had nothing to offer.

"it had a diverse range of professions to explore!"

ok then lets just have a look at these wonderfully diverse professions shall we?

Rifleman: Going into the middle of nowhere and blasting away big lumbering animals with a rifle for hours on end

Carbineer: going into the middle of nowhere and blasting away big lumbering animals with a carbine for hours on end

Pistoleer: going into the middle of nowhere and blasting away big lumbering animals with a pistol for hours on end.

Fencer: Going into the middle of nowhere and hacking big lumbering animals to bits with a one handed melee weapon for hours on end

swordsman:Going into the middle of nowhere and hacking big lumbering animals to bits with a two handed melee weapon for hours on end

teras kasi artist: Going into the middle of nowhere and punching the crap out of animals for hours on end

oh and how about the vast range of diverse and fastinating crafting professions?

Chef: sit in a corner dragging and droping resources into boxes and clicking "create item"

weaponmaker: sit in a corner dragging and dropping resources into boxes and clicking "create item"

ETC ETC ETC

Star Wars Galaxies completely failed to provide a vast, authentic, enjoyable star wars MMORPG from day 1. If you don't like that they've changed a flawed, half assed MMORPG into a slightly different flawed, half-assed RPG, then my advice to you is to stop whining like a baby and find something meaningful to do with your life. No one cares whether you liked repeating the same tedious crap over and over for different "titles" to brand over your skandily clad, big bossumed transvestite space vixen wannabe.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Some interesting points. I agree with some of it. A few players are only upset because they are no longer uber. Before CU (combat upgrade) I was a TKM and used to beat the hell out of anything - including krayts once I had a buff.

That had to change. And it did. Everyone finally got used to CU but then along comes NGE (New Game Enhancements) and again, combat changed, as did almost everything else. It shows how wrong things are in Galaxies when you have two major updates in under 6 months and I believe that the veteran community has every right to complain.

Had SOE actually made the improvements workable, ie: no bugs at launch, I dont think too many would have vented their anger. However, we are talking about SOE who have a track record in total failure in quailty control. Look at the group XP changes/protests. SOE forced everyone to group hunt to get better XP, then, they take it away. What on earth is going on in their heads?!

As I tested NGE on the test servers, I noted that combat was flawed in many areas and was put onto the test centre. Bugs aside, its also the way in which these changes have been announced - just under two weeks notice!

Despite its flaws, people stuck with Galaxies for their own reasons. As one of my other posts says, NGE has had a huge impact on the game with servers being extremely empty of players now and overall, this could be the final nail in the game.

You have to look at both sides of the arguement here. Yes, the game did need changing but it was the style in which is was done that has created such anger.

DMUK

I have agree with DarthMaul and Manny.

The game was boring pre-CU nevermind CU and all I stayed was the community. But I agree NGE came out with lots of bugs and they are actually getting fixed which is better.

"You like it though, cool, not your fault you like simplified buggy backtothestart games.

Oh! one more attack please, if you are really british I am ashamed we have such people willing to defend SOE/LA's disgusting actions."

Old SWG was certianly simplified backtothestart games, this is updating it to a better level. Even though I like the improvements, I definitely don't agree to how SOE/LA handled the whole issue at all.

"How is decimating 30 professions and putting together the pieces with pritstick inventive? na I call it brutal un-needed downsizing and a sad attempt to make it easier for the numbskulls of a dev team to attempt balancing and fixing. Doesn't seem to be working atm does it?"

Well the 30 were pretty much rubbish anyway like Manny said, the rifleskill just allowed you to stand outside with a macro shooting monsters all day. Though creaturehandling similar brought more experinces overall they were rubbish and the downsizing add alot more to those professions.

""The game is still a rpg " ....bull****."

Yes it is an rpg, look at the similar ones like fable for example that has very similar real time combat this had not the turnbased versions like FinalFanasty or the timer based like WoW/Old SWG.

""The combat is alot better and alot more realistic" Yep realism. If I wish for some good old realism, I play OFP or Rogue Spear where you die from one shot most of the time, such is life. But what is this? SWG:MMORPG, a game based on rulesets not who clicks fastest but who understands the most and sure, who has the most time as well.""

One) its not click the fatest,its basically click and hold.

Two) In the old system, TKM and MP I had superhigh ranged dodge on one of my characters and it was basically impossible to hit me with a shot even though you were at pointblank range, and now that is fixed which I like the realism of and not as gamey as my tree.

"f you think real life has CL people walking around with the ability to be shot several times and then magically heal themselves to full health. This is a game, an rpg where you are supposed to be able to do things you can not do in real life and should not be forced to be realistic when really doing that just makes it more of a joke."

That what makes it a game, but obvious stupid things like missing at point blank range were stupid or when I was tkm some one was running away and i could still hit them from 30metres away.

Not total realism like Stalker has but some obvious ones sorted.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Im glad its made you happy but I find it totally unacceptable that SOE AGAIN throw yet another bugged format into the game. When NGE was launched, it should have been flawless. Or, at least not having bugs that really stops combat.

The copied formula from World Of Warcraft for quests is alot better than before and for once in two years, you actually get something worth having (apart from the boots and rings it can throw up).

Either way, I have a big feeling its too late to rescue the game from its current state. I have never seen the servers so empty!

DMUK

I think from past experience, bringing out buggy, unpolished updates/products appears to be SOE's trademark feature, and is by all means a perfectly reasonable excuse to be angry at them.

I don't know how much of it is a result of lucasarts contstantly putting pressure to release stuff by a certain time regardless of how complete it is (KOTOR 2 anyone?), but if SOE want the support of the community they really gotta start breaking the habit. I haven't played NGE galaxies, but from an outside look and observations of what people say, they sound like justified improvements with poor execution. Above all, i think the changes in galaxies' classes, combat and skills should be focussed on creating a good balance, and if the reason veteran players are complaining is because they're no longer ub3r l33t skillz0r m4x, then they should cram it and stop being pussies.

With regard to jedi, I think its well past the point of no return in terms of creating a realistic number of them, so the appropriate course of action (which as far as i can see, is what SOE are trying to do) is to create a greater balance of classes, making them NOT invincible as i remember them practically being. They SHOULDNT be uber ultra, they're good fighters and have the advantage of the force but by no means are they invincible, they have very clear weaknesses and they are good because they train their whole lives. Jedi, like luke, who only just start training late in life wouldn't be that great, and even luke is better than average because of his natural affinity to the force. Luke was basically about to get his s*** owned by fett b4 han ACCIDENTLY sends him on a one way trip into the land of digestive juices.

As a big fan of starwars and thus of continuity, I played galaxies with the intention of killing as many jedi/dark jedi as possible, but the way the game was it was impossible because of the lack of balance, the idea of nerfing (i used to hate that word) jedi is intelligent and justified in my opinion.

I loved Pre-CU, but I suppose thinking about it, even that was low quality rubbish given by SOE/LA.

I will agree with the fact that from the start, SWG was doomed. But I still argue that it could have done a lot better by dividing up servers with different rulesets.

Manny and Brit, you may not have a good imagination, but many others like I were able to look past pre-cu so called short comings and enjoy it. I find it wrong that SOE felt they had to destroy our favourite game. I did not mind the "grinding" and felt proud to have mastered professions when I did eventually, I am not the only one too. Call us suckers but a lot of people loved pre-cu as it was and I strongly believe we should have been left with a couple of servers to play on instead of forcing everyone to play the rubbish crap that CU and NGE is.

you call it "imagination" i call it "denial". The game was turd, and the MAJORITY of the population thought so as well, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it.

Despite conflicting opinions as to the quality of pre CU galaxies, I do submit that keeping a pre cu server open is a good idea. That way people who are deluded enough to think pre cu was actually anything more than a load of crap could revel in their aimless grinding without complaint.

I only played about a week of Pre-CU, and then I got pushed into the CU, and honestly IMO it wasn't as bad as it was built up to be. But like most of you, I'm sick of SOE pushing out unfinished products. From any other company this would be totally unacceptable, and people would stop playing the game all together, but for some reason people keep playing SWG no matter how crappy and buggy SOE manages to make it. If you don't like the game my suggestion would be to find another one. Just my two cents.

everytime i start liking the changes they so called "fix it" .. right before the first CU i was enjoying my pistoleer/bounty hunter.... then they "fixed"the game... took me long months to really enjoy combat.... but i got used it. i got my jedi..... worked it through long months to a reasonable template.... fighting BH's (liked and hated it :):p). and i finally got my 2nd char up to rifleman/squadleader and was absolutely LOVING that. and then the 2nd CU comes.....

i enjoyed Pre CU. i agree that the combat system sucked ... as a pistoleer who got defeated within 10 seconds of a TKM guy i agree :p. (i hated PVP). but i still enjoyed the game very much.. and its not denial manny. just because you didnt enjoy like some others.... it doesnt make the game bad.. just your opinion of it. for instance the world loves the Jedi knight games... and i hate em... BAAAD games. but other enjoy em... fine i can live with that.

then the CU. basicly they only changed the combat. the rest stayed pretty much the same.... they really improved GCW... and i loved it. i had all these goals ingame. and i loved doing all quests with my guild and alone.... but the NGE.... my guild is dying now. all my chars are quite useless.. except for my entertainer.... wich btw is THE MOST fun profession now.... just playing the cantina is SO much more fun then being in combat...

im gonna wait it out..... give them some time.... but im NOT liking the NGE.

yeh ur right to some extent, but i used to like pre cu because i didnt really know any better. Liked the people, fun waste of time, but then i played KOTOR and then went back to it and just asked myself "what is the point of this game" and it all just seemed so pointless so i stopped.

I know that it could be liked, as i did like it for a time, but it just seemed so stupid and pointless and badly designed upon reflection.

The NGE is incredible! I did the ten day trial, and i'm signing back on. A major issue that people seem to have is that there are too many Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies. I happen to be a jedi in the trial, and I have one thing to say; WHO CARES HOW MANY THERE ARE!!!!???? It is a Star Wars ggggaaaammmmeeee, not movie, and the things in the game, don't nessacarily add up with the movies. My point is, SOE and Lucasarts tried to make the game fun, not completely with the movies or real stories. Star Wars Galaxies was not meant to be Canonical, it was meant to be fun, so quit your whining and either stop playing or keep playing.

I used to play Galaxies all the time since it first started i remember when i first came across a jedi on endor grinding i was soo impressed!.

Anyway i took som time off after the CU to for a whole load of reasons and recently after hearing the about the NGE which i was pretty excited about i signed back up for a month .... what a waste of money!.

Now because of this game im actually sick to death of hearing lightsabers! i went to mos eisley and it was only jedi! no other profs just jedi! that isnt star wars that is freaking lame!.

And the fact that you target everything is pretty lame, ok so the quests are better and the opening tutorial lvl was pretty good but after that it got boring fast! the combat while faster is incredibly boring (click button one followed by button two keep mouse over creature till dead) at least before you had to time when to do your specials and keep an eye on a whole range of stats.

I think this is going to be a huge flop and it'll never recover the official boards are having a sort of civil war going on and just wait till the games media start really bashing this *and they will!* hell if SWG cant even work with a WoW(biggest mmorpg at the moment?* combat system then what makes them think it'll work with this?.

Its simple really Rpg fans wont play this because they want a Wow type combat system and Fps wont play this bcause they are too limited by stats and well the shooting is still not hands on enough you just click and point.

And thats Darth terros early morning rant sorry if it made little sense.

:yawn:

Not sure what to make of the NGE. I just came back recently after a 3 month break from the game (been playing since launch.) Not too happy with alot of the professions gone. I worked hard on my Justus character, I don't create alternate toons or anything, so if I wanted to do something, try something out I'd do it with Justus. The game seems to have been 'dumbed down' alot from it's original version, and SOE seems to be infamous with releasing bugged products. To alot of people it feels like we have been paying for beta since 2003, and I can relate to that.

I'm going to give the NGE a fair shake, but right now I'm very uncertain about this. It feels like a totally new game, so I'm going to treat it as such.

They remade the game, yes, but it is so much better in my opinion. It seems like everybody here but me is a hard critic. Give them some credit. Galaxies is defiantely not the best online game out there, but who cares? If it's fun, it's alright in my book. Plus, Galaxies was too complicated and too much time was spent grinding before the NGE.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Theres no question they have improved things for the nOObs. It took World Of Warcraft how to get that right. The hard grind is still there, just you dont realise it.

The NGE has created more problems then it has solved. Most of the community has quit, server lag is a joke and theres so much still wrong with NGE. As my review has said, they are kicking out the old players to be replaced with new ones but the new ones arent coming in as fast as they would like it seems

DMUK

The problem I see here is (and yes, excludeing minor technical ones, there is only 1 problem) that SOE has effectively turned SWG from a buggy munchkin game to a buggy moron game. Some of us "power gamers" fell in love with the endless hours of grinding out the perfect template, then tweeking it here and there to make it seem to be personal (sure, you have other skills than master swordsman/master doc, but face it, those others are trivial) and people were whineing about how pvp was grosly unballanced. SOE tried to fix it too fast, and made it a new game with new problems where at least the new classess "appear" to be ballanced simply because all of them are effectively master combat/with medical or for thosee rare players actual medical, or crafting. While this change will make it eventually easier to ballance PVP (and the new combat system is growing on me if they'd just fix the dam exp...), it is currently very unballanced, and the current clone characters is a disgrace. I'd love to see SOE keep the new combat, and bring back the skill trees so that the number crunching game is still there for us calculator jedi's, and an option for an auto template so noobs can simply grind exp and have the cl 80 (90 now) character's skills auto picked at teh approiate time. When the Noob gets his head out of the dark warm cave he keeps it in, he can go to manual controll fo the skill tree, adn tweek it. This should be fairly easy to implement within the next 3-4 months since all the major programming is there, and will quiet the masses.

The NGE is incredible! I did the ten day trial, and i'm signing back on. A major issue that people seem to have is that there are too many Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies. I happen to be a jedi in the trial, and I have one thing to say; WHO CARES HOW MANY THERE ARE!!!!???? It is a Star Wars ggggaaaammmmeeee, not movie, and the things in the game, don't nessacarily add up with the movies. My point is, SOE and Lucasarts tried to make the game fun, not completely with the movies or real stories. Star Wars Galaxies was not meant to be Canonical, it was meant to be fun, so quit your whining and either stop playing or keep playing.

I kind of care how many jedi there are. Yes, it is a Star Wars game. But you must understand that the game is set between ANH and ESB, a period when ALL OF THE JEDI BUT OBI-WAN KENOBI AND YODA were dead.

I guess if you've never seen what it was like before the NGE, you wouldn't know that it was a ferrari f-500 downgraded to a Geo Prism (still sportyer than most MMORPG's but no where near what it was-and that ferrari analogy was a downgrade from pre cu...)

Archived