Home

David Lynch

JofaGuht

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was talking to a Canadian roadie at a concert in Chicago, and he told me about a war in the 1800's between the English/Statesians and the French over Canada that they taught in his (Canadian) school and didn't realize that they didn't teach it in the States until he had spoken to some people...I hadn't even heard of this war.

Indeed, history is a subject far too biased. Every teacher or school or country will make it seem whatever is best for them.

I don't know if you've ever seen that 2003 A&E miniseries about Napoleon. In case you haven't seen it, DO NOT WATCH IT; If you already have, I think you'll agree with me that it makes Bonaparte look like an idiot.

I wonder how they would make Winston Churchill seem; I guess it wouldn't be so difficult for them to make him seem like an imbecile.

Supposedly they don't teach it because it was the only war we lost(excluding Veitnam since that's after a time when Press wasnt' as important, and of course this one because it just happened)

What about Korea? The US of A didn't exactly 'win' that one.

Now that you mention it, what wars did 'America' win?

Darkness rules!

At the risk of sounding like a gothic, I agree.

Excellent film. It took me until the second viewing to realize how good it was, though, there's a lot of subtext.

And pretty weird too. Though I am not exactly a fan of, the rather explicit, drug abuse, the picture is great. I certainly enjoyed it, but I should watch it again.

This and Brazil are the only Gilliam works I've seen. Oh and Twelve Monkeys, but I didn't like that one at all.

Go back to reply #72 to gain answer.

Er, I guess I should apologize; but due to the fact that I had to look for it in every post inside this thread, I am not going to.

Regarding Kafka, I have encountered the same problem on the Metamorphosis, but not one the rest of the books/stories I read by him. IU never gave the Trial a chance, though.

Horror movies where the horror does not lie in the action or the gore or the boo scares, but lies in the characters and their interaction.

(...)

Yet, though the stories would be dreadful, there would be a sense of wonder beneath the dreadful and horrible surface.

Neat. Have you planned any ideas or plots, or do you just see this as something to work in the future?

And the films would always remind how huge and detailed this planet/universe is.

It is the opposite with me. The universes I create are almost claustrophobically small, them being submissive places where the characters are bound to live, without them noticing the existance of freedom. Furthermore, the worlds of my unfinished-barelystarted-scripts are entirely fictional, for they are anything but Earth itself; Alternative-history & surrealism are the nearest thing to it, but they still don't describe me.

I sound totally full of myself, don't I?

Don't we all?

what wars did 'America' win?

Well I guess I'm safe here to say that I don't believe any war can be won by anyone.

Though I am not exactly a fan of, the rather explicit, drug abuse

Quoting Gilliam here (roughly at least), "I don't see Fear & Loathing as being a drug movie. Wild & psychedelic drugs just fuel our hero, as alcohol and cigarettes fuel Sam Spade."

Drugs in movies may go hand-in-hand with how I stated I feel about sex in movies. Drugs, just in general, are completely subjective and can mean so many different things. It's one of those symbols you can get anything out of. And I loved how they used it in Fear & Loathing because they use it to simulate a certain state of self that both completely explain the fall of love in '71, and also just a looping overabundance that feels way too familiar.

Have you planned any ideas or plots, or do you just see this as something to work in the future?

See reply #101 ;).

Yes, I spend most of my time writing, and planning, and thinking, and that sort of thing is usually what I think about. I've had so many ideas I've completely lost and forgotten, and there's others that are just sitting there waiting to be told. And the ideas usually wind up in the formula that I previously stated.

It is the opposite with me. The universes I create are almost claustrophobically small, them being submissive places where the characters are bound to live, without them noticing the existance of freedom. Furthermore, the worlds of my unfinished-barelystarted-scripts are entirely fictional, for they are anything but Earth itself; Alternative-history & surrealism are the nearest thing to it, but they still don't describe me.

Have we talked about Harold Pinter? He's an absurdist playwright that's just absolutely awesome, and sounds a bit like what you're saying.

Either way, if I had to state one message in my films, it's that in life, well, we're just plain missing some details that seem too small to exist.

Well I guess I'm safe here to say that I don't believe any war can be won by anyone.

I think the same; but the world seems to think that political change can be achieved by violence.

"I don't see Fear & Loathing as being a drug movie. Wild & psychedelic drugs just fuel our hero, as alcohol and cigarettes fuel Sam Spade."

Indeed, that's what causes the events to take place, on a way.

But certain audiences might find it offensive or grotesque (not me. To give you an idea of the kind of world I live in, I saw both, PF: The wall & A Clockwork Orange when I was about eight years old; not that I got much out of them, thugh).

Drugs are another overrated issue.

I saw the movie again, this time I was able to watch the beginning. I liked it, the viewer certainly gets involved in this psychedellic (sp?) world, and feels the fear of the main character.

See reply #101.

Yes, I spend most of my time writing, and planning, and thinking, and that sort of thing is usually what I think about. I've had so many ideas I've completely lost and forgotten, and there's others that are just sitting there waiting to be told. And the ideas usually wind up in the formula that I previously stated.

Other than Reply #101 & Homeostasis I meant.

It's a shame when a good and creative idea is not written down, and ends up forgotten; how many masterpieces has the world lost is one of the many things I wonder.

Have we talked about Harold Pinter? He's an absurdist playwright that's just absolutely awesome, and sounds a bit like what you're saying.

I've read some parts of Pinter's works, but I have never read a full play of his, but it is mainly because I lack the time. He is quite good.

Either way, if I had to state one message in my films, it's that in life, well, we're just plain missing some details that seem too small to exist.

I'd explain my concepts and writing style, but I reckon you don't want to hear it; plus I lack the time today.

Sorry, I couldn't post yesterday due to the fact that I'm 'renting' a computer on this joints, and internet ain't working correctly.

As I said in an earlier post, if I made movies they would be irrational-symbolical-absurdist stories, disguised in a rational-pointless-political envelope.

I cannot settle in one genre, so of between the ideas which constantly pop into my head (I usually end up discarding most of them by the end of the day), you can find a science-fictionesque story, a WWI tale, several undescribable stories and even a western. Most of them would be in black and white, and if I only could, they would be silent. The soundtrack, well, I would put a lot of effort into it.

The importance of it would be centered around the characters and the world they live in, while the situation is utterly pointless.

Most of the characters would be uninterested people alienized from their surroundings in a never ending search for a certain thing, whether it's abstract or material; e.g., in one of the scripts I never started (the one I reckon is my best idea, regarding the setting and stuff) the main character is in a quest for extreme sadness.

For some reason, I am very attracted to the idea of making mistakes on purpose, that is to say, there would be several anacronyms (sp?) and continuity errors, for the sake of simbology. It's also unnecessary to describe the amount of political propaganda I would include.

The settings, as I've said before, would be entirely fictional; in some of my ideas the place and time would seem realistic (but they wouldn't be), and on others it would simply be a surrealist and unexplained setting. Also, the universe would be described as small, and 'freedom' would be a word removed from the dictionaries.

And finally, there would always be extremely irrational content, on certain levels, whether it's the whole movie itself, or sometimes just a scene.

I hope I haven't bored you too much, but my mental stability needs some egocentricity from time to time.

EDIT: Fe de erratas; I said that 'the situations would be entirely pointless', and also said that the characters would be in search for something. I must point out that the search would be metaphorical, except in the one about the bloke in search of sadness.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the long wait to reply. If you haven't noticed, I've been gone from the boards for almost a good month.

Anyway, the stuff here is definitively Aburdism, which I'm all about, of course. If I may recommend more films, go for stuff written by Joseph Minion. His most recognizable work is that he wrote the script for Scorsese's After Hours, but it's not as good as two films I both strongly recommend: Motorama and Vampire's Kiss. While by definition Motorama is more absurdist, Vampire's kiss is equally as excellent. They both seem right up your alley.

I do honestly think you should get some writing in. Even if you don't take it seriously, it never hurts to build a skill. It's very intimidating at first, true, but after you get one screenplay done, it's not going to be too difficult to write another. There's something about finally putting your ideas on paper that gives you new perspectives on the idea and the way you think in general. My scripts wind not being a bit like the original idea. That's why I love it; it's such a ride.

Plus, we got all these crappy writers nowadays that are doing what's already been done. It would be refreshing if you got into the game of it, but it seems you work hard at making your stuff creative and original. And you can't complain about how movies suck if you're not trying to make them better yourself, right?

As a personal update, the past month has been an introspective one. And while I will always write, I'm planning on focusing on recording and audio engineering, and overall, music in general.

The square "(", ")" are not working, so I will have to quote as I write.

------------------------

------------------------

Quote: JofaGuht Said "Sorry about the long wait to reply. If you haven't noticed, I've been gone from the boards for almost a good month."

Yeah, I did notice, mainly because you haven't been the only one who's been away. Fortunately you came back.

-----------------------

-----------------------

Quote:"Anyway, the stuff here is definitively Absurdism, which I'm all about, of course."

Indeed, absurdism and existentialism are my two philosophies. I'd describe my ideas as Kafkian-esque, but I do not want to compare my self to such a genial mind.

------------------------

------------------------

"I do honestly think you should get some writing in. Even if you don't take it seriously, it never hurts to build a skill. It's very intimidating at first, true, but after you get one screenplay done, it's not going to be too difficult to write another. There's something about finally putting your ideas on paper that gives you new perspectives on the idea and the way you think in general. My scripts wind not being a bit like the original idea. That's why I love it; it's such a ride."

I am planning to give my Olivetti typewriter a try and begin writing a script. I took this decision due to the increasing amount of sadness and desperation I've been going through.

My problem is not ruining my ideas, so I usually end up deciding to write it once I'm older; but I guess it's only the intimidation as you said.

------------------------

------------------------

"After Hours"

The only Scorsese film I ever liked. It took me a long time to find that one in video stores.

I'll try to find the other ones you recommended, as soon as I get to BA.

------------------------

------------------------

"As a personal update, the past month has been an introspective one. And while I will always write, I'm planning on focusing on recording and audio engineering, and overall, music in general."

Me too, due to, as I've said earlier, the depressing time of uncertainty I am going through.

Only thing is that I have taken a great interest in film making (yeah, this thread has something to do with it). The only problem is my country; you cannot be a serious artist here. But Europe, that would be my thing, unfortunately, that continent has already enough immigrants, my only chance relies on meeting a European person who drags me to that continent.

Also, my musical side has increased; and I have decided that the Trumpet is the instrument for me. But that is a totally unrelated issue.

---------------------------

---------------------------

So, how has your life been going Jofa?

I took this decision due to the increasing amount of sadness and desperation I've been going through.

I've been there before, and really, at least the way it worked for me, once I got a grasp on my passion, that "trapped" feeling disappears. Now, that being said, the beautiful lack of highschool in my life might have had something to do with leaving that stage as well. But my suggestions include researching EVERYTHING including things you think you're not even interested in.

Of course, I can't speak for you. It's a very painful thing watching people lose confidence in themselves; I seem to be surrounded by them. Problem is: these people are far smarter and more creative than I'll ever be. Now, sometimes it's just a phase and people get over it. But there's people who don't as well. One of my closest friends have recently shut themselves out due to a self-esteem that can't fill a bottle cap, and while I'm probably just being worrisome, somehow I feel that call about an overdose or something along those lines has become a little too much of a possibility.

So, how has your life been going Jofa?

I have a concrete feeling that this summer will be a summer of high Novelty.

On the actual side, pretty boring. Normal stuff, doing my classwork and trying to get a liscence (I failed, but I've got two more chances), excetera.

But on the intangible, it's been quite exciting. I'm catching ideas like hiccups. And, while I'll always love movies (and I'll make at least one someday), this new passion seems so strong I feel absolutely rediculous for not realizing it before. It's like I've been in the closet or something. In fact, I may start a thread on this quite soon.

I've been there before, and really, at least the way it worked for me, once I got a grasp on my passion, that "trapped" feeling disappears.

Perhaps I am, the only person on Earth, or perhaps mine is a normal thing, but I have a love-hate relationship with sadness (this doesn’t mean I like or want to have miserable situations every day, I can only take a couple per month).

On one way I love it, it is my fuel, what makes me do things; right now, my seldom artistic gifts are at its best, while on times of happiness they are practically reserved to rational behaviour; and every now and then, when I sit I reflect about the cause of my melancholia, I get an indescribably strange feeling, which can be compared to only a few other sensations.

But on the other hand, being sad means that there is a tragedy on my life, and this is the part I loathe; I get too worried, too stressed and frustrated, and the only thing I think about is.

This is why I spend my time reading and watching depressing and absurd stories, because the misery isn’t mine, while the sad feeling is still there.

But my suggestions include researching EVERYTHING including things you think you're not even interested in.

Me too; I plan on leaving nothing to chance, everything will have a metaphor and a meaning hidden inside.

Now, sometimes it's just a phase and people get over it. But there's people who don't as well. One of my closest friends have recently shut themselves out due to a self-esteem that can't fill a bottle cap, and while I'm probably just being worrisome, somehow I feel that call about an overdose or something along those lines has become a little too much of a possibility.

I hope your friend gets better; I’m the kind of person who shut himself up far too often, so I think I can moderately understand what you mean. I must point out, that I keep my feelings to myself because so far I’ve never met anyone in person whom I want to be close to; that is why I join forums, to talk the most profound aspects of my personality, however.

If you are worried about me doing drugs, don’t, I have a strong stance against substance-abuse and alcohol (the latter one is reserved to myself, I have nothing against a person who drinks with moderation).

And while suicide is around my mind every now and then (them wise people say it’s healthy to think about suicide, murder, etc. as long as they don’t go to an extreme), I respect my life enough and am too much of a coward to push it forward.

My problem is my stance on Death: I don’t care about it; I don’t fear it at all. So at times of sadness I tend not to pay attention to my safety (you know, like crossing an avenue when the traffic is still going, and that sort of thing) and well being, which will someday have some serious consequences.

What I’ve just said may sound rather strong, or ‘OMG you are so ****ed up’, but it isn’t as extreme as it might seem from reading my biased posts.

But on the intangible, it's been quite exciting. I'm catching ideas like hiccups. And, while I'll always love movies (and I'll make at least one someday), this new passion seems so strong I feel absolutely ridiculous for not realizing it before. It's like I've been in the closet or something. In fact, I may start a thread on this quite soon.

It’s amazing how our interests drift with the course of our lives; some of us have periods of entirely different interests, while others remain the same all along.

Music is a great subject, one of my favourite ones indeed. What aspect of it/what sort o’ music, other than audio engineering (whose concept I am not sure about), have you gained interest in?

Do you play any instrument?

Perhaps I am, the only person on Earth, or perhaps mine is a normal thing, but I have a love-hate relationship with sadness

You're not the only person on earth like that. And I guess I am a little bit, though not entirely. I just like experience in general, and that means I embrace negative experiences too. Since most of the times I'm depressed, it has to do with having a painful lack of experiences, I'm not a huge supporter of the feeling, and enthusiasm & wonder is a much bigger drive of my art than...suffering as they say.

This is why I spend my time reading and watching depressing and absurd stories, because the misery isn’t mine, while the sad feeling is still there.

It doesn't really have to do with wanting darkness; it has to do with feeling something. I can't stand movies that don't make me feel anything. To quote Neil LaBute: "Only to indifference do I say: **** you!".

I saw Capote recently. It's really freaking heavy and I recommend it. I think it deserves all the hype it's been getting.

If you are worried about me doing drugs, don’t, I have a strong stance against substance-abuse and alcohol

I put myself in a catagory among a small many, "pro-drug, anti-addiction". I don't think it's the drugs as much as it is the habit, routine, oh, and of course people with a complete lack of confidence in themselves. It's funny, out where I live, it's not the drugs that the government tells us to fear that are the main problem. In fact, it's the drugs the government are giving us. I know so many more people who have OD'd or gotten seriously addicted to drugs like Vicoden, Valium, Xanax, Oxycontin, Percocet, etc., more than, say, all those drugs on the DEA's Schedule I. It seems these people who get addicted, it has nothing to do with the drug, it has to with the fact people will **** themselves up in anyway possible, doesn't matter what drug it is, doesn't matter if it comes from under your sink.

And, more than that, addiction comes from ANYTHING. From exercise to pain to sex to even the dopamine your brain releases when you take really hot baths.

But, while I don't like to talk about it much, I'm definitely about the educated (emphasis on educated) use of tryptamine psychedelics, like psilocybin mushrooms, salvia divinorum, LSD, and some others; drugs that aren't addictive, and are known to produce more awareness than they do ignorance. But, well, Jofa likes to stay a little quiet about this side of himself.

My problem is my stance on Death: I don’t care about it; I don’t fear it at all. So at times of sadness I tend not to pay attention to my safety (you know, like crossing an avenue when the traffic is still going, and that sort of thing) and well being, which will someday have some serious consequences.

I see where you're coming from. I think I fear death a little more than I used to, I think life is a little more precious than a lot of people believe. But I'm also, in a way, looking forward to it. For some reason I feel like death would be the ultimate sensation, the ultimate experience. Like, I don't want it right now, but when it comes I think I'll embrace, even if it comes a little earlier than I'll think.

Next time you cross that street, though, think about this: You won't die, you'll wind up in a bed for thirty years with no ability to anything whatsoever and you won't be physically able to kill yourself, and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong". So, yeah, look both ways.

Music is a great subject, one of my favourite ones indeed. What aspect of it/what sort o’ music, other than audio engineering (whose concept I am not sure about), have you gained interest in?

Do you play any instrument?

I'll create a thread in a couple days. Right now I've really got to get some work done, but after that, you'll get endless paragraphs.

You're not the only person on earth like that. And I guess I am a little bit, though not entirely. I just like experience in general, and that means I embrace negative experiences too. Since most of the times I'm depressed, it has to do with having a painful lack of experiences, I'm not a huge supporter of the feeling, and enthusiasm & wonder is a much bigger drive of my art than...suffering as they say.

Emotions in general are good for inspiration, but the kind of things you are inspired to do while in happiness, differ from those you may perform in sadness.

At least, this happens to me.

I saw Capote recently. It's really freaking heavy and I recommend it. I think it deserves all the hype it's been getting.

Yeah, I want to see that one and "Good night, and good luck".

I put myself in a catagory among a small many, "pro-drug, anti-addiction". I don't think it's the drugs as much as it is the habit, routine, oh, and of course people with a complete lack of confidence in themselves. It's funny, out where I live, it's not the drugs that the government tells us to fear that are the main problem.

I understand what you mean, but I'm sure people will get addicted or obsessed somehow.

I think you are right on the government thing.

I must admit that propaganda worked for me; back in the 90s, there were so many 'don't do drugs' commercials that I wouldn't even take an aspirine, because I was so afraid of addiction. Of course, when I grew up I barely cared about the subject.

Still, fear isn't a good way to stop problems in society, propaganda-makers will tell you that drugs are bad, and this and that, but they will never tell you the one important thing: one might argue that there's no real point in using them.

In fact, it's the drugs the government are giving us. I know so many more people who have OD'd or gotten seriously addicted to drugs like Vicoden, Valium, Xanax, Oxycontin, Percocet, etc., more than, say, all those drugs on the DEA's Schedule I. It seems these people who get addicted, it has nothing to do with the drug, it has to with the fact people will **** themselves up in anyway possible, doesn't matter what drug it is, doesn't matter if it comes from under your sink.

Now, I entirely agree to this. People take too much pills and medicines, and prescriptions are less important within pharmacists.

I'd describe my opinions, but I have to go to sleep, it's late right now.

And, more than that, addiction comes from ANYTHING. From exercise to pain to sex to even the dopamine your brain releases when you take really hot baths.

Tell me about it, amongst my many mental issues (paranoia, schyzoid disorder, hipocondriasis, etc.), I've been told to be obsessed with hygiene.

But, while I don't like to talk about it much, I'm definitely about the educated (emphasis on educated) use of tryptamine psychedelics, like psilocybin mushrooms, salvia divinorum, LSD, and some others; drugs that aren't addictive, and are known to produce more awareness than they do ignorance. But, well, Jofa likes to stay a little quiet about this side of himself.

Lysergic acid (LSD) and other hallucinogens are believed to induce Schyzophrenia, and other sorts of mental illnesses or disabilities.

Other than that, and some minor ethical issues, I cannot contradict you; specially since you refer to 'educated' use of them as a treatment.

But I'm also, in a way, looking forward to it. For some reason I feel like death would be the ultimate sensation, the ultimate experience. Like, I don't want it right now, but when it comes I think I'll embrace, even if it comes a little earlier than I'll think.

Same here.

What I do hate is when doctors begin to put numbers to it, "Statistics show you've got ten more months to live"

That would ruin the experience for me (up to the ninth month, eventually I'd want to drop dead again).

Next time you cross that street, though, think about this: You won't die, you'll wind up in a bed for thirty years with no ability to anything whatsoever and you won't be physically able to kill yourself, and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong". So, yeah, look both ways.

I was forced to stop studying guitar when my teacher was ran over by a bus. He spent two months in a cold and sad hospital, and lost sensibility in his right hand. A whole life thrown over board just because a reckless bus driver didn't stop on the red light (my teacher, according to witnesses, was on his full right to cross the street).

This is what I do fear, why I don't risk my life and why I would never try to kill myslef: surviving.

I feel a tremendous amount of respect for people who have lost arms, legs, etc. I would be able to bear through those experiences, or just the trauma itself.

People assume that I'm afraid death, when I am only afraid of pain.

Also, I look two ways before crossing the street all the time, not because of me, but because of the driver. However, I was riding my bicycle through a busy street once, and I made the wrong turn. Fortunately, the only things that were damaged were my bike and the driver's windshield. I got lucky that time, I really did.

and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong"

Oh, you are for euthanasia. Is there anything we don't agree on?

I'll create a thread in a couple days. Right now I've really got to get some work done, but after that, you'll get endless paragraphs.

I'll look forward to it, then.

People take too much pills and medicines, and prescriptions are less important withing pharmacists.

Did I ever tell you my grandfather is a psychoanalyst? I think I did...but yeah, he has the ability to perscribe medication, though he rarely does since he knows enough about psychology to know that in most cases, that's not the solution.

Have you ever noticed that popular anti-depressants (along is ADD medication) seem to only be on the market for three years until they realize it's bad for you? Then it's replaced by the "new drug" that winds up equally as bad.

And now there's these killing sprees from people who go off Paxil. The tragic irony/poetic justice both aggravates me and makes me chuckle a little bit.

Lysergic acid (LSD) and other hallucinogens are believed to induce Schyzophrenia, and other sorts of mental illnesses or disabilities.

There was a certain type of LSD in the seventies called "orange sunshine" that's the main reason those disodesr are associated with it. It can also speed up some genetic disorders that would have come eventually. Other than that, most of it is propagande. But, meh, I like mushrooms better anyway.

I cannot contradict you

I've done a lot of both literary and hands-on research. So, I must say on this occasion, you are correct. I've read up enough that, not to sound egotistic, but I'd probably have the upper hand in arguments on these topics. There's still plenty more I need to learn, but a lot of these substances are so unique that nobody knows everything about them.

What I do hate is when doctors begin to put numbers to it, "Statistics show you've got ten more months to live"

That would ruin the experience for me (up to the ninth month, eventually I'd want to drop dead again).

Yeah, after my aunt got told she had a month, she lasted a week. I don't blame her.

Fortunately, the only things that were damaged were my bike and the driver's windshield

As long as I'd get the guy's windshield, I'd be happy.

Have you ever noticed that popular anti-depressants (along is ADD medication) seem to only be on the market for three years until they realize it's bad for you? Then it's replaced by the "new drug" that winds up equally as bad.

And now there's these killing sprees from people who go off Paxil. The tragic irony/poetic justice both aggravates me and makes me chuckle a little bit.

That's an interesting point, agravated by the fact some of these medicines tend to have worse side-effects than the thing they are trying to cure.

I've done a lot of both literary and hands-on research. So, I must say on this occasion, you are correct. I've read up enough that, not to sound egotistic, but I'd probably have the upper hand in arguments on these topics. There's still plenty more I need to learn, but a lot of these substances are so unique that nobody knows everything about them.

Hands on?

I wonder what kind of technical books I may find on your bookshelf.

Anyway, I must claim ignorance on the subject; I've read a lot about the 'common' types of drugs from the Forensic Science books I have, but the ones you mentioned are practically unknown to me.

My mother, though, she worked on Toxicology for several years.

That's an interesting point, agravated by the fact some of these medicines tend to have worse side-effects than the thing they are trying to cure.

It's funny, because a lot of these pills are availabe for the side-effect, and the actual effect is completely different.

Viagra, I can't remember what it was originally for, I think it was muscle-building. Well, what it's used for now is actually a side effect of what it was originally for, but a bunch or executives thought it would be a good way to sell it.

I've read a lot about the 'common' types of drugs from the Forensic Science books I have, but the ones you mentioned are practically unknown to me.

That's mostly because they make drug dealers absolutely no money, since it's not addictive and the experiences aren't necessarily pleasant. There's little popularity in them, but they're completely antagonized in the US government (probably because they're partly responsible for huge protest movements we had in the late 60s against the Vietnam war). Anyway, I'd suggest http://www.erowid.org for science & information that may be missing from your books.

Archived