Home

Ahuge discovery about Connection to host lost!!!

pablovi

Hi, I made a post about the error I was getting most of the time(99%) when I tried to conect to a multiplayer internet game in BF2, the error was "connection to host lost" although ti did worked 2 times, and I was able to connect in 30+ attempts, after following an advice on other forum, I disabled the sound and now I can connect all the times I've tried (5) !!!

But with this discovery I have a couple of questions? What does this mean? Is my soundcard(Audigy Gamer) not good enough? It can do hardware render. IF it's not good enough, which card should I get? And why does it connects sometimes (2 times) when the sound is enabled?

I hope someone can shed come light on this, thanks in advanced.

Ok, there are some sound issues with SWBF and SWBF2. Normally when you have the sound problem, the game crashes to the desktop as soon as it finishes loading a level. I haven't seen it as a "connnection to host lost" error before. I also have an Audigy sound card and have had the other problem. A great many people also reported the error, but I'm too tired/lazy to look up the link to the thread.

It seemed to always happen to me when something else was using the sound card. In my case it was TeamSpeak. Check your running programs. Make sure there isn't anything attempting to use the sound card. That includes the sound card's own software (that volume control in the task bar). Now try the game. If it still doesn't work, close all running program, including the programs in the task bar (those little icons next to the clock). Windows doesn't need them to run. Now try the game again.

thanks! Well, it's really weird, but if I disable the sound I can play in any server, but with the sound enabled I can't, just some very lucky few times. I didn't had this problem with SWBF1. I maybe crashing the servers? and that's why it says connetion to host lost? but the thing is that I can play single player everytime and I can create a server everytime, I just can't join one. I did checked and nothing is trying to use the soundcard, I even tried to run it with no single procees running in the background except for taskmanager and explorer. And It didn't worked.

It may not be the sound card, but it has something to do with the sound for sure, maybe the server is asking for something to with the sound and can't find it in my system and that's why it gets disconnected. I don't know, but I don't want to buy a new card and find out that it doesn't work!

thanks again

I have all the latest drivers. I even reintalled SWBF2 and my soundcard, but the same thing happens, sometimes when the sound it's set to hardware I can start on multiplayer game, but in the next it's the same error. Everytime I tried with software render sound, I get the error. ANd everytime I try with soudn disabled I can play multiplayer.

I don't know what it is, but it's defenetly sound related. But I've tried everything, and I still can't play multiplayer with sound except like 1% of the time.

Thanks,

No, sadly I don't have onboard sound or an older card. But I think you're right, it's the same problem as the CTD many people are having. Becuase they can only play with sound disabled. So it's clearly a SWBF2 compatiblity issue. I hope LA can come up with a solution and/or patch! If not, I think I will have a 1/2 a game. I don0t want to spend on a new soundcard and find out it doesn't work!

• 3 years later...

yeah I have the same problem. People tell me that it can be fixed by disabling the sound but I've tried all of that. I have disable the sound and my speakers, muted all parts of my computer and muted all aspects of the game. Nothing works! What else can I do? I would really appreciate some help here too!

Ok I've found out why my game isn't working. I went out and scrounged the internet for any info on this and I found that if the connection for you to the host's computer takes longer than 60 seconds, it shuts you out and says "connection to host lost". Now I have a wireless router, so how can I fix this and be able to connect?

• 3 months later...

Archived