Home

Flight of Serenity

jokemaster

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amanda grinned as the transmitter shut down. Then she glanced up and winced. It had taken her longer than she'd expected. Alliance ships were closing in on the ship. She shoved Jayne roughly toward Serenity and snapped, "When I said be prepared to run, I didn't mean walk leasurely!"

River lifted the ship slightly off the ground and Amanda telekinetically, tossed Jayne into the cargo bay. The ship rose a little higher and Amanda leapt in. Zoe was already at the controls to close the door and punched them as soon as Amanda's hands had grasped the ramp. She hurriedly lifted herself up and over the closing door and tumbled in with surprising gracefulness.

The ship lurched as River accelerated and directed it upward toward space. Another lurch sent everybody tumbling. The Alliance wasn't wasting any time with talk.

"They want you dead," Amanda murmured. "They don't care about me anymore."

She dropped to her knees and closed her eyes. The Alliance ships began to wobble slightly in their flight path. Weapons fire that would have hit Serenity barely missed. Amanda's forehead was covered in sweat.

Amanda ignored Jayne for the moment. Her eyes were still closed and her hair was damp with sweat. The Alliance ships swerved and smashed into each other and Amanda gasped. She blinked slowly and took her shuttle's 'remote control' out of her pocket again. From it, she initiated the shuttle's self destruct, effectively destroying the Alliance ships that landed to investigate.

Slowly, Amanda stood and turned to face Jayne.

"You'll kill me?" she asked, sounding surprisingly strong for how thoroughly exhausted she looked. She shook her head. "Think about it logically. A few months back, River beat you up, right?" She nodded to emphasize her words. "Now, I understand you were only trying to stop her from fighting, but consider this: how many Reavers did she kill to keep the rest of you alive on Mr. Universe's planet?"

She laughed quietly. "Now, think of me. The Alliance finished everything they were going to do with River on me. If River can do that, what can I do?" She shook her head. "You'd not get the chance to kill me before I knew what you'd planned and stopped you." She blinked again. "So let's have no talk of killing."

Her voice sounded weaker. "And in case you didn't realize it, if I hadn't tossed you in, you'd have been dead. Remember what I said about running back to Serenity? Alliance was landing just behind us. They'd have shot first and asked questions later... so really, you should be thanking me... not threatening me."

With a groan, she collapsed to the deck and murmured, "Ships big. Humans small. Ships hurt to move... oh, dear God, my head..."

"More or less," Amanda answered, her voice sounding a little stronger again. She smiled at him. "I find it amusing how you have almost no trust in me and yet you're still willing to be Dr. Tam and see if I, who was your enemy not long ago, am alright."

She sighed. "I'm fine, thank you, Doctor. I just need a bit of rest..." she winced and put a hand to her head, "... and maybe a painkiller of some kind."

Amanda winced. "Like somebody punched me repeatedly in the head... or maybe like it got slammed in a door." She groaned. "Either way, give me something strong, I imagine."

Inara entered the cockpit. She wasn't happy.

"Mal, didn't you say we'd be on that planet back there long enough for me to get in a little work?" she demanded. "Then why is it we left in such a hurry?"

River smirked and stood to leave the cockpit.

"I should give you somthing strong to get rid of it then." Simon took out an injector (I don't know what there actual name is.) and plased a vile of pain killer in it. He walked up to Amanda and plased the injector against her neck and pulled the trigger. Once the chemical had entered her body he plased the injector on the table. "It shoudn't take long to take effect."

"Well, for one thing, it looks like the alliance is still after us." He grinned slightly. "And I decided this planet wasn't that comfortable anways, the weather's too hot and humid."

When Jayne came in he answered. "We're meeting Alex." He grimaced "See if he still wants the job with the newly-acquired risks."

"Hot and humid, Mal?" Inara retorted. "It was winter there."

Meanwhile, in the infirmary, Amanda smiled. "It's already starting to work." She turned her head as River peered in.

"You're dirty," River commented suddenly. Amanda laughed and nodded.

"Yes," she answered. "And I suspect you would be too if you had just crashed two ships mentally."

She stood slowly, as if unsure if the doctor's medicine would knock her out or not.

"Captain's in the cockpit?" she asked. River nodded and Amanda headed in that direction.

Alex had his belongings packed and ready and was awaiting the Serenity's arrival. He'd been looking for some real work for a long time, and nothing sounded better than working with old pals.

Sitting on the floor with his back to the wall and his bags laying beside him, Alex waited by the star port listening to music through an antique disc reader.

Archived