Home

Backbuffer to system problems

Gasha

I haven't played JK yet, so I think I'll buy the game soon, but I have a problem. I downloaded the demo, and noticed that the graphics got weird in first person mode. this could be fixed by turning on "backbuffer to system", but when I clicked "return to game" with backbuffer to system on, the game exited to windows. anyone know what to do? I checked on Yoda's help desk, but they only said that some video cards don't support it. I have a Radeon 9800 pro.

Are you on Windows XP? I have the exiting-to-windows problem sometimes* after saving a game (ie, when it should return to the game from the menu). It's only happened since I've been on Windows XP. Other than that, dunno I'm afraid.

* 'sometimes' as in from the fifth or sixth save onwards, it keeps quitting and will keep on doing it until I reboot. Obviously if yours does this from the start it may not be related. Just seems coincidental that it's doing it when trying to return to the game.

It's a thought anyway.

:)B.

There is an advanced settings option in JK1 (it's activated by running the game with a command line IIRC), I just don't know what it is. Advanced options setting... try searching for that. It's from a long time ago.. but somebody figured it out. Like a debug mode!

JK1 has always run fine for me, but maybe there's something in there that can help you.

Also look up "JK Auto Save converter" (autosave converter or something similar) for if your game crashes and you lose something (back up your save files too just in case!)

I found something on the massassi temple. To enable an advanced display menu, you should run the game with the command line -displayconfig. Is that what you thought about? in any case, it doesn't work, since you need the full game to do that. i discovered something else, if I turn 3d acceleration on, it more or less removes backbuffer to system memory. the graphics get weird in first person, but I can click return to game without the game crashing. the characters (NPCs and myself) also get a little weird with 3d acceleration on.

I managed to fix the problem by changing my graphic card settings (in windows, not in JK) to "optimal quality" instead of "optimal speed". thanks everyone who tried to help, and I still have one problem. when I have the aiming crosshair enabled, small grey dots appear in the middle of the screen, in the same gray color as the crosshair. this happened only with 3d acceleration enabled. anyone know what i should do about it?

• 4 weeks later...
...I still have one problem. when I have the aiming crosshair enabled, small grey dots appear in the middle of the screen, in the same gray color as the crosshair. this happened only with 3d acceleration enabled. anyone know what i should do about it?

I have the same same problem. I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Tom

That problem occurs with all ati cards, had the same prob. with 2 different ati cards, it has something to do with DirectX compatibility. Don't remember if it was "Alternate Pixel Center" or "Support DXT texture format". But one of them fixed it. It will affect other games like hl2 though. So I used to change it for jk only.

See: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_6.html

I've finally fixed the problem. It was neither "Alternate Pixel Center" nor "Support DXT texture format", but I found it in the same guide, so thanks anyway. the solution is on page 9 in the guide. you must use Rage3D Tweak to disable "Tile backbuffer", "tile primary buffer", "tile textures" and "texture micro tiling". more information is on page 9 in the guide (http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_9.html)

Thanks everyone who has helped me from the beginning of this thread. I can now finally buy the game (I have borrowed the game from a friend this far) and play it without errors.

Right, I've now bought the game, and guess what I find: MORE problems. it won't start. the installation just won't start. I have to confess, i never borrowed it before, I downloaded it, but I deleted it after testing and fixing my problems. Now, it won't work. I've done some tweaking to the computer, but the demo still worked, so I can't see why the full-version wouldn't. I' ve tried to run it from the autorun, from the JEDI.exe on the disk and from the SETUP.exe on the disk, but nothing happens.

*EDIT*

I've also tried to run all of them in compatibility modem for windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 NT

Archived