Home

Stranded on a Tropical Island.

Lefty9fingers

I was just watching my Johnny Castaway screensaver, and I started to wonder; why is it that everytime people are stranded on a deserted tropical island the first thing they start doing is try to get off!?! I would appreciate my good fortune at not having to pay bills ever again, not having to pay taxes ever again, not having to go to some ****e job ever again, having the luxury to sit around and appreciate the beautiful scenery for once in life without worrying what time it is. No more annoying commercials every five minutes pushing crap that only makes me poorer, no more horrible processed foods that make me fatter and weaker. No more cars buring up precious resources at assinine prices making the air unsuitible for breathing. No more people being mean. Life would be as nearly perfect as is worldly possible and they instantly start trying to leave. I just don't get it.

You are thinking of a Lost island. Go watch Cast Away. Islands are usually not the paradise that some movies make us believe.

There are no white beaches, instead there is flotsam. There is no gourmet food, you'd probably have to live on coconuts and seafood you'd have to catch and prepare yourself. You don't have a doctor, so you better hope that you don't have too many accidents. Being unable to walk means that you would likely not be able to get food, so even a strained ankle can get you into serious trouble. There'd be creepy crawlers and maybe dangerous animals...

How long could you live without being able to entertain yourself? How long could you enjoy a tropical island's sunset? You might survive, but would you live?

I would do the whole deserted island thing, but I would definitely need to have a Starfleet issue heavy-duty replicator so I could produce a phaser, some rum or an umbrella as needs be. :dozey: That plus the hot Vulcan chick from 'Enterprise' and I'll be set.

Get the hell away from my island! :max: I'm armed...

LOST IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.

i second that!!! no spoilers tho man! in the UK we're on the episode with hurley's flashbacks and those weird numbers. (theres always a showing of the next episode on e4 but i never watch that)

I was just watching my Johnny Castaway screensaver, and I started to wonder; why is it that everytime people are stranded on a deserted tropical island the first thing they start doing is try to get off!?!

woah for a minuite there i thought you had a screensaver of some guy called johnny on a desert island sitting there tossing off.... [seriously it sounded like it! i mean thats the first thing id do( i mean get off... not get off)!)

No, actually I WAS thinking of the island from the Tom Hanks movie Cast Away. Sandy beaches are only good for sunning yourself, rugged coastline is much more interesting, just look at Lake Superior. And I could watch a sunset and or sunrise on a tropical island every single day for the rest of my life and it would never get boring. Every one is different, and they are always cool. Catching one's food is a much more satisfying sense of accomplishment as opposed to buying it with money you earn from doing a ****e job you hate for long hours that make your knees hurt. And if I get hurt, I get hurt. But I can get in a car accident without health insurance and thus be forced to live on the street where I will probably not survive a Minnesota winter. Life is dangerous no matter where you are. Doctors are not healers, they are drug-sellers or surgery-suggesters. With a little practical knowledge one can mend himself. Take Tom Hanks for example. He fixed his tooth, cleaned his teeth using salt water(which no one knows can be used because we are so used to having to buy cleaning PRODUCTS like toothpaste and mouthwash that we have started to lose practical knowledge that is useful). All one needs to know is how to make a splint, sew a cut, set a bone, set a dislocated joint. Anything worse than that and you'll die and thus not need to worry anymore cuz you're dead. Native americans flourished for thousands of years using only practical knowledge and herbal medicine.

Anyway, the point that is lost on you is that quality of living would be higher. Left to himself with only his wits as a tool man can accomplish magnificent things. The very computer you are using to spank to pr0n was created from the earth. Man figured out how to use the ground to make anything he ever wanted, and we aren't even done inventing yet. Everything we could ever possibly want to have is right there for our taking, we only need to be given the chance.

I propose a new reality TV show. One that is REALY real. Me. On an Island. Alone. No camera men, just remotes. I guarantee I would be having a LOT more fun than Tom Hanks had. Mainly, because none of you douchebags would be there.

I propose a new reality TV show. One that is REALY real. Me. On an Island. Alone. No camera men, just remotes. I guarantee I would be having a LOT more fun than Tom Hanks had. Mainly, because none of you douchebags would be there.

*(Cuts off Lefty's head, then mounts it on a spike as a grim warning to douchebags everywhere.)*

Ahum. :dozey: In that case...I enthusiastically support your idea for a new reality teevee show. Hell, I'll sign you a contract RIGHT NOW.

...Of course, if I'm putting up the money, I get to pick the island.

Left to himself with only his wits as a tool man can accomplish magnificent things. The very computer you are using to spank to pr0n was created from the earth. Man figured out how to use the ground to make anything he ever wanted, and we aren't even done inventing yet.

Many many people were involved in a many thousand years history to create the ability to build computers, and even since then, another couple thousand people helped to make it what it is today. How are you going to do that on a single small lonely island and on your own? :dozey: And if you really want to do something about the things you criticised, start being an example instead of running off. Noone forces you to use a car or toothpaste, although at least the latter gives you a clear advance with the girls.

Everything we could ever possibly want to have is right there for our taking, we only need to be given the chance.

Uh, chance to "rape mother earth"?

Gabez stole my Grinch Thunder when he closed the other thread, I don't think I have the energy now, (that, and there's plenty of reasons not to close this thread, we may actually get a discussion out of it, whereas a thread all about Moles Phone is about as interesting as a thread about how Mole's librarian is evil)

Besides, the point that was obviously lost on Ray is not that I will be able to make me own computer, but that even our most advanced technology is nothing more than sand and oil and metals taken from our very surroundings. It isn't some mysterious object handed down from a mysterious race, WE made it, with OUR own ingenuity. And it wasn't as if though we said "me lack computer, me need figure out build computer." It was thousands of years of tinkering around with everything we found laying around, seeing what it could do, what it was made of, being curious about our surroundings. This same curiosity and ingenuity has not been lost. Put man in the situation I have described and he will not perish, he will flourish, and much more he will have FUN doing so.

Well, If I were stranded on a desert island, I'd be sad. I need a computer to properly function. But one person with me would make me feel better...Hannibal Lector.

Me-Say the line, Hannibal!! Pleez???

Dr. Lector- Fine! "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chainti."

Me- Teehee!!~ long pause~ You know, Clarice shouldn't have killed Buffalo Bill. He could provide me with the lotion gag.

Dr. Lector- Yes, he always said such funny things, and he loved the fat ones.

Me- Oh so true.

If it were me stranded on the island with say, just Maryanne and Ginger... hell, you just might as well throw in Mrs. Howell too,.. then it could get interesting.

But I think reality would soon set in a bit too fast for my tastes,.. what with no change of clothes for anyone, no grooming products of any kind, no team of make-up artists, no birth control... Uh, yeah... no thanks.

On second thought, I'll just visit in my dreams, but stay back here at home, in real civilization. If it can be called that.

Yeah, I gotta say I'm a Mary-Ann man myself.

But think about it, would you really want to be stranded on a lush tropicla island with a women bitching all the time? "I thought you said you were going to wash the coconuts!" Why haven't you killed any pigs lately?" I want a porch built on the bamboo hut! You never take me out to eat anymore! You go off to hunt and scavange and I'm left home all day to take care of the monkeys and then you come home and expect me to cook dinner when I've been on my feet all day whacking the clothes against a rock! Why don't you rub my feet anymore!?! When we were dating you used to buy me flowers, why don't you buy me flowers anymore!?! Just once I would like to see you help out around the island. I thought you were going to fix the thatched-roof last weekend! It's hurricane season and you know it's just going to start leaking. My mother told me you would turn into a lazy bum who never does anything but sit on his duff drinking fermented coconut and scratching himself bit I didn't listen. If I would have listened to, where are you going!?! Get back here and hold the monkeys I have to run to the grove and pick up some fresh herbs and berries! Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap.

No thanks.

Archived