Home

Stranded on a Tropical Island.

Lefty9fingers

If there is no way of getting the hot Vulcan chick involved, yes.

On another aspect, you could align him along the notch tying him back with just some kind of palm leaf thong and do a loooong walk on the beach to "get to the point".. :dozey:

However, there is even more fun about it if you--*feels Zoom's cold blade cutting slowly through the flesh of his left arm*--ererererrrrm. NEVER MIND!

*(Finishes cutting off Ray's arm, marinates it in a nice tandoori sauce and feeds it to high-paying industrial hogf*ckers in his dining room as 'Indian tiger filet.')*

Ray should not be allowed to play with thongs or 'tie things back' anymore. :max:

The desert island scenario is definitely undoable without the hot Vulcan chick to keep you entertained. Of course, considering she comes into heat only once every seven years, you will need the magazines anyway...

Think about it;

You wake up when the alarm goes off to an annoying buzz, or perhaps the radio playing some song that should never have been written, much less played at five in the morning. You only got five or six hours of sleep last night, so you have yourself some coffee or an energy drink, perhaps a smoke. Something to help jar you awake. Hop in the shower, get dressed, snag an unhealthy breakfast and start the morning commute. You listen to the morning show, the one with the out-spoken, racist personality and the sidekicks who never tell him he's an idiot. The show goes to five minute commercials ever three minutes, and most of your drive to work is spent listening to people trying to sell you crappy diamonds with irritating jingles that are way too loud. You get to work, clock in, and spend the next many hours doing something that, should you be given a choice would never dream of doing. Not only that but you do it so long that by the end of the day both your body and mind are tired and you can't possibly do the things you want to do. Rinse, lather and repeat four more times, and then it's the weekend. You sleep in on Saturday so you can atleast get one day out of the week with a healthy rest, but by the time you wake up it is noon, and the days half over. So you do in one day whatever it is you would like to have gotten done during the week, and by later evening your errands are done, and you can start to enjoy yourself. You sit down at the computer and play a game for a couple of hours before you decide to go to bed. Then it's sunday. The most depressing day of the week. You can't enjoy the day off because all you can think about is that you have to be at work bright and early the next morning, and how the hell are you going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour after sleeping til noon the past two days. So you don't leave the house at all, spend the whole day playing computer games so as to make up for lost time, have a few cocktails to help knock yourself out at a reasonable time, and start all over again. For two weeks out of the year you go on vacation, maybe camping up north, a cruise on the ocean, or perhaps to a tropical island. Somewhere peaceful. Somewhere quiet. Somewhere relaxed. You spend the whole time doing nothing but enjoying the scenery and listening to the waves crash upon the shore. Some exotic bird is singing, and a polynesian girl brings you another Mai Tai. Two weeks is almost up, and you've only started to unwind. You toy with the pipe-dream of perhaps buying a hotel, or a bar. Hell, you'd be happy being a bartender here. Anything to stay in paradise. But in the end you go back to the airport, sit next to a fat, smelly man and a woman with a crying baby. The plane lands in some smog-filled, crime-infested metropolis, your cab ride home is full of anxiety as some angry cabby yells constantly and flips the bird to all the drivers who cut him off in their mad race to get to work on time. Somewhere in the distance you hear a kettle drum. Any relaxation you achieved is long-since forgotten, and your only solace is the thought that in a year you can do it again. But until that time you have a few cocktails so you can get over your jet lag and make it into the office on time. You lay down, and right before you pass out you can't help but hope that perhaps the office will have burned down while you were gone, and you don't have to go back.

or

You awake to the sound of waves crashing against the shore and some exotic bird singing somewhere in the distance. You make your way out of your shelter and marvel at the clear blue sky. You have a breakfast of fresh, organic fruit, so bursting with flavor and nutrients anything else by comparison is rotten. You spend a leisurly day making rope, or thatching your roof. Perhaps hunting. No rush, your only boss is hunger and weather. But you don't need to worry because you are smart enough to keep a food store. You take a nap sometime during the afternoon, but you have no idea what time it is because you have come to the realization that time doesn't bloody well matter and have destroyed the sun dial you made. When you awake it is early evening, so you make your way up the trail you made to the highest peak of the island to watch the sun go down. With nothing obstructing the horizon for dozens of miles in every single direction you see the most spectacular natural phenomenon known to man, save for some rare celestial event. The clouds on this particular evening act as blinds, projecting long shadows over the sea, creating fingers of twinkling lights as the sunlight dances of the waves. At dusk you make your way back down to the fire ring, and build a campfire. You prepare whatever it was you caught that day, or perhaps something from your store should you have not been lucky that day. The rest of the evening you watch the fire, focused on the beautiful display and relishing the comfort. Late evening comes and you make your way back to your shelter, small and cozy. Nothing so large as to be difficult to repair, nothing so small as to be impractical. No more than you need, no more than you want. As you start to drift to sleep you think how much you look forward to tomorrow, and how much you enjoyed today.

Anyone who says they need a computer to have fun is a retard, but frankly that's fine with me. You all can stay here making pointless posts on a pointless messageboard about pointless subjects which will only be read by people who will miss the point. Please, by all means, stay right here, never ever go anywhere with natural beauty, the world is far too crowded as it is.

I myself intend to live life.

Anyone who says they need a computer to have fun is a retard, but frankly that's fine with me. You all can stay here making pointless posts on a pointless messageboard about pointless subjects which will only be read by people who will miss the point. Please, by all means, stay right here, never ever go anywhere with natural beauty, the world is far too crowded as it is.

...And why are you here again?

Oh and by the way, you're all douchebags, and you suck ass.

We love you too! *hugkisses Lefty9fingers*

So... go on and get to it already. Please don't let us stop you. We won't stand in your way. Just don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I'm sure there are still many uninhabited tropical islands out there, just waiting for you, if you truly believe that living off the land in total isolation is going to be that pleasant an experience.

(Although it does raise the question that if a tropical island capable of sustaining human existence is really such a paradise, why would it be still uninhabited? If it is uninhabited, then chances are it's not really such a paradise after all, and your plans of a leisurely existence full of fresh fruit, game on the hoof, and bountiful, easily collected and manipulated building materials are probably just a pipe-dream, as everywhere capable of sustaining a human population of any size under those conditions has already been inhabited for thousands of years.)

Have fun.

Personally, I happen to like technology and civilization. I never realized that was such a character flaw. I guess I'll just have to work on that.

:dozey:

Think about it;

You wake up when the alarm goes off to an annoying buzz, or perhaps the radio playing some song that should never have been written, much less played at five in the morning. You only got five or six hours of sleep last night, so you have yourself some coffee or an energy drink, perhaps a smoke. Something to help jar you awake. Hop in the shower, get dressed, snag an unhealthy breakfast and start the morning commute. You listen to the morning show, the one with the out-spoken, racist personality and the sidekicks who never tell him he's an idiot. The show goes to five minute commercials ever three minutes, and most of your drive to work is spent listening to people trying to sell you crappy diamonds with irritating jingles that are way too loud. You get to work, clock in, and spend the next many hours doing something that, should you be given a choice would never dream of doing. Not only that but you do it so long that by the end of the day both your body and mind are tired and you can't possibly do the things you want to do. Rinse, lather and repeat four more times, and then it's the weekend. You sleep in on Saturday so you can atleast get one day out of the week with a healthy rest, but by the time you wake up it is noon, and the days half over. So you do in one day whatever it is you would like to have gotten done during the week, and by later evening your errands are done, and you can start to enjoy yourself. You sit down at the computer and play a game for a couple of hours before you decide to go to bed. Then it's sunday. The most depressing day of the week. You can't enjoy the day off because all you can think about is that you have to be at work bright and early the next morning, and how the hell are you going to fall asleep at a reasonable hour after sleeping til noon the past two days. So you don't leave the house at all, spend the whole day playing computer games so as to make up for lost time, have a few cocktails to help knock yourself out at a reasonable time, and start all over again. For two weeks out of the year you go on vacation, maybe camping up north, a cruise on the ocean, or perhaps to a tropical island. Somewhere peaceful. Somewhere quiet. Somewhere relaxed. You spend the whole time doing nothing but enjoying the scenery and listening to the waves crash upon the shore. Some exotic bird is singing, and a polynesian girl brings you another Mai Tai. Two weeks is almost up, and you've only started to unwind. You toy with the pipe-dream of perhaps buying a hotel, or a bar. Hell, you'd be happy being a bartender here. Anything to stay in paradise. But in the end you go back to the airport, sit next to a fat, smelly man and a woman with a crying baby. The plane lands in some smog-filled, crime-infested metropolis, your cab ride home is full of anxiety as some angry cabby yells constantly and flips the bird to all the drivers who cut him off in their mad race to get to work on time. Somewhere in the distance you hear a kettle drum. Any relaxation you achieved is long-since forgotten, and your only solace is the thought that in a year you can do it again. But until that time you have a few cocktails so you can get over your jet lag and make it into the office on time. You lay down, and right before you pass out you can't help but hope that perhaps the office will have burned down while you were gone, and you don't have to go back.

or

You awake to the sound of waves crashing against the shore and some exotic bird singing somewhere in the distance. You make your way out of your shelter and marvel at the clear blue sky. You have a breakfast of fresh, organic fruit, so bursting with flavor and nutrients anything else by comparison is rotten. You spend a leisurly day making rope, or thatching your roof. Perhaps hunting. No rush, your only boss is hunger and weather. But you don't need to worry because you are smart enough to keep a food store. You take a nap sometime during the afternoon, but you have no idea what time it is because you have come to the realization that time doesn't bloody well matter and have destroyed the sun dial you made. When you awake it is early evening, so you make your way up the trail you made to the highest peak of the island to watch the sun go down. With nothing obstructing the horizon for dozens of miles in every single direction you see the most spectacular natural phenomenon known to man, save for some rare celestial event. The clouds on this particular evening act as blinds, projecting long shadows over the sea, creating fingers of twinkling lights as the sunlight dances of the waves. At dusk you make your way back down to the fire ring, and build a campfire. You prepare whatever it was you caught that day, or perhaps something from your store should you have not been lucky that day. The rest of the evening you watch the fire, focused on the beautiful display and relishing the comfort. Late evening comes and you make your way back to your shelter, small and cozy. Nothing so large as to be difficult to repair, nothing so small as to be impractical. No more than you need, no more than you want. As you start to drift to sleep you think how much you look forward to tomorrow, and how much you enjoyed today.

I agree with the first part, the second one doesnt paint a picture of heaven either, really.

Mainly cause I could never survive alone. I would need at least one more human (preferably female) to make it without going insane.

Neither picture is a realistic vision.

One shows all the negative aspects of modern life in the western world without going into detail about all the things that make life far, far more livable for us today than it was for our ancestors: Easy access to food without having to worry overly much about food poisoning or spoilage; warm (or cool,) dry, safe shelter from all the elements, as well as from attacks from predators; clean water in huge quantities; proper sanitation; almost universal near instantaneous access to medical facilities; immunisations for many common diseases, and the ability to treat parasitic infestations; instantaneous access to the entire knowledge of the human species... and so on.

The other shows an overly romanticised ideal of what life would be like away from civilization. Living for survival is difficult, unpleasant work. I doubt most of us who have grown up in a technological society would last for very long. All it would take is a single serious injury that leads to infection... if we didn't get sick and die from starvation and/or malnutrition and/or unsanitary conditions first.

And we have evolved to be a social species... total isolation from all other human beings would drive any and all of us insane, no matter how much of a loner we might like to think we are.

EDIT:

I'm also starting to wonder what the purpose of all of the original poster's abuse directed towards us over this is? Are we all supposed to say "OMG Lefty, I've never thought of it that way before! I'm taking off today, leaving all I've ever known and abandoning all my loved ones to live in isolation in the middle of nowhere. That's such a great idea!"

Well, that thought just doesn't appeal to me. Sorry, but our ancestors worked long and hard to get the world to this point, and I for one am going to enjoy it for what it is, and celebrate the fruits of their lifetimes of sacrifice and long labor.

If it's really such a great idea, you go first, and let us know how it is after a couple of years.

Secondly: If we all rush off to live on uninhabited tropical islands, that's gonna leave less islands that are uninhabited. There are a finite number of uninhabited tropical islands that are capable of supporting any life at all... let alone human life. If we all run off to live the "good life" on one of these, chances are you are going to find one of us already there when you decide to step out on your own and do it for yourself.

How is the sound of waves crashing against the shore so different from traffic noise?

I've thought about your thread today before I came here. I happen to have a slight cold and wondered how well I would do on a tropical island now. I don't have a lot of appetite and the prospect of having to eat seafood or anything else for that matter doesn't appeal to me very much.

You awake in the morning with massive pain in your tooth. You wonder if it will go away or if you have to get rid of another tooth. Chewing the sturdy fruit (which can withstand the harsh climate) will be a lot harder then. You have to get a lot of work done today. The time before storm season, the animals get rarer. You still have to get your hut fixed. Last time you were ill all the time since the wind crept through every crevice and the rain trickled in. Your last tool was worn out by the hard wood of the palm trees. It will take you two to three days just to fell a tree. Then you're stuck with a massive, heavy trunk. You'll have to make way more rope. You'll have to find a way of making a blanket for those cold nights when even the fire's warmth won't reach you. But you're still puzzled how you could do that.

As you ponder this, you make a bad step and hurt your ankle. The pain! How you wish you had some fermented coconut juice right now! But the last has spoiled. It would be a mile away anyways and you can barely crawl, the ache is so throbbing. How you wish you had made more cured meat instead of watching those stupid sunsets and dozing by the campfire. If wishes were horses you'd ride off that stupid island. What? Never heard of sea horses? Like this one dancing in the sun right now! Are you hallucinating? Touch your forehead, it's hotter than hell. How many days have you been lying here? A fire would be nice now, but you'd have to collect lots of dry algae and flotsam to keep it going.

You're dead from malnutrition. (This is your second year on the island.)

One thing nobody's mentioned yet is dealing with really bad weather. Like Katrina weather. Or a tsunami. Fun stuff.

The one thing about tropical islands is that they tend to be in the tropics. The tropics tend to be home to a great many hurricanes each year. And every year, on tropical islands around the globe, some with very advanced populations, thousands of people die from these storms. The rest are left to re-build.

Living on an island, alone and with no technology you'll never know if those gathering clouds on the horizon (blocking out your beloved sunsets) are just a standard passing rain-shower,.. or a category 5 kill-storm.

Either way, you are powerless to escape either one. And if it really is a hurricane, then you can be assured a quick death, huddled in your wood and leaf lean-to you have constructed for yourself.

Oh and by the way, you're all douchebags, and you suck ass.

I think living on a deserted tropical island would be perfectly acceptable, being something of a mystic recluse at heart. I would be the type to paint myself orange with the native berries and make clothing from palm fiber, then wander about baking in the sun as I communicate with sea birds, turtles and such. I would make for myself a spear from the stinger of the manta ray, and bind the handle with its own hide. Even sharks would fear me.

I suppose I would have no use for a computer, except to wander over to it every now and then and shout insults, then stagger away laughing.

Do you have your sister's number on hand? :max: We were drunk, and she wrote it on a condom wrapper which I lost at the police station.

Well... if all you really want to do is just drop out of society and live like a savage, I don't believe you really need to go through all the trouble of getting yourself stranded in the tropics. Actually, it really seems to me that you could do that without ever leaving the the country. Hell, you can probably do it without ever leaving the house.

People have been doing it for decades after all... Just look at the 60's... 'cept most of them own internet companies now and are now driving BMWs, Jaguars, and Range Rovers...

So maybe dropping out of society, getting back to nature, and living like a cro-magnon isn't such a bad idea in the long run after all...

Ungh!

Archived