Home

Star Wars: Path of Destruction *Bane novel*

Darth_Terros

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, I thought James Luceno was selected to pen this one...better off that he's not, anyhow. Look's cool, though. I'll have to pick up a copy.

He's doing the Darth Plagueis book.

I think its a shame he isnt doing this one too as Luceno is probably one of the best Star Wars EU writers out there.

• 1 month later...
He's doing the Darth Plagueis book.

I think its a shame he isnt doing this one too as Luceno is probably one of the best Star Wars EU writers out there.

indeed. Luceno and Stover have taken SW EU beyond movie rehashes,warlords, grand admirals and crappy superweapons.

Now with the LOTF series, EU seems to have found a new spring in its step... with the Bane & Plagueis books being irresistible to any SW fan interested in the sith :) can wait for the Bane/Plagueis books....wonder if there was anyone in between ???

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it yesterday, and I think it's one of the best EU books I have read so far. Bane's fall to the Dark Side is much more thought out then b.e. Anakin's. I always had found Anakin's turn a little abrupt, while Bane's fall is more slowly, and considering his 'luck' through the novel much more natural.

Characterisation is good; in the DH comic Bane is more of a supervillain, while the novel shows a more human side of the legendary Sith Lord.

A definite bonus is the fact that events and characters from the KotOR video game play a significant role in the novel, I'd even say for KotOR fans this is a must have.

A couple of highlights:

Bane's tutilage under the holocron of Dath Revan and the explenation for him taking on a Darth title.

Dessel/Bane his life as a sith trooper, altough a short part in the novel, is very nice, especially his 'Force Sniping' a Republic outpost

Bane's training also shows why and how he acquired his preference for stealth and deciet, and its incorporation into his Sith teachings.

Some minor bad points:

At a certain point the novel indicates the Republic still uses the 'Hammerhead' capital ships, athough the novel is set 3000 years later. I know in the Star Wars technology doesn't take giant leaps ahead, but this is IMHO a little over the top.

Another point is sometimes the author's over-relience on KotOr based material. Example: 2 Selkath jedi are killed, and it looks like they were only mentioned, just to include the Selkath and Manaan references. Off course the author is a member of the BioWare team that developed KotOR, so it's understandable he falls back to his known Star Wars base.

All in all a very good read. :smash:

• 1 month later...

Just finished this earlier today, went ahead and bought hardback - $15 isn't bad for hardback.

I really enjoyed most of the book, but I didn't like the parts that took place on Ruusan. I've already read about it in the Jedi vs Sith comic, and it feels like the author just copied and pasted from it. I'd rather he went on and wrote about post thought bomb stuff. Perhaps some Bane teaching Zannah stuff?

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 because of too much Jedi vs Sith comic.

It was mostly from Bane's perspective. There's some Githany and Kaan moments as well. The comic was... the comic perspective, can't remember, I think it mostly focused on the Brotherhood.

It's not like the book takes place entirely on Ruusan, just near the end. I would have been alright with it if there were some post-Ruusan stuff. What happened? Yeah, he makes the Rule of Two and goes into hiding, but what else happens?

Was it pretty much a "word for word" copy from the comic or from different viewpoints, etc.?

You hit the nail squarely on the head. I went into this 'reading' thinking that I would finally get an awesome Sith Novel. Aside from his early life on Kessel and all the Kotor retcons that Drew could muster, very little brand-new material was presented. This isn't to say it was a waste; rather, it is to say how much more the book could have been. There was alot left undiscovered.

Personally, I think it was done just to lead us into another Bane novel.

That being said, I bought the Novel and it was good enough to read in one day.

I loved the irony that was implied by the Revan retcons most of all.

PM for me details.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. I went into this 'reading' thinking that I would finally get an awesome Sith Novel. Aside from his early life on Kessel and all the Kotor retcons that Drew could muster, very little brand-new material was presented. This isn't to say it was a waste; rather, it is to say how much more the book could have been. There was alot left undiscovered.

Yeah, I thought the book would at least go beyond Ruusan, at least a couple of chapters. It would have been nice to find out more, but maybe that'll be in a new book.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up the book today and read the whole thing. It was amazing, tho more so probably because I never read the comic version? But then again I prefer books, only question is will their be a sequel or is that just conjecture as of now?

I will say it was a lot better then the new Legacy of the Force book series. Is it just me or did the New Jedi Order ruin star wars?

• 4 months later...

I picked up the paperback version of Path of Destruction last week. Definitely an enjoyable read and I look forward to the sequel whenever it comes out on paperback. I thought Mr. Karpyshyn did an excellent job of showing us how Dessel became Darth Bane.

I didn't like

how the author portrayed Bane relying on Darth Revan for so much info. Revan's time was almost 3,000 years prior to Bane coming onto the scene. What about all the other Sith Lords that had to have existed in that time period? None of them left any holocrons for future Sith to find?

Also, the bit about Darth Revan coming up with the idea for the Rule of Two, one to embody the power and the other to crave it, didn't sit right with me. If Revan came up with the idea then why didn't he implement it himself?

In spite of what I didn't like, I thought the book was pretty good. I like most of what Mr. Karpyshyn did to preserve the essence of the Jedi vs. Sith story but IMO he painted a more realistic picture of events instead of holding fast to the cartoonish excesses presented in the comic book version.

Mr. Karpyshyn actually took the time to address some of the criticism leveled at his Darth Bane novel on his starwars.com blog. In the blog post he does apologize for his mistaken PoD reference to Vaapad. :D

He painted a more realistic picture of events instead of holding fast to the cartoonish excesses presented in the comic book version

Thats the reason I enjoyed the Novel, I can't stand the comic, for the simple fact it's more like Narnia than Star Wars, with the half man half beast Lord Valanthyne(sp), and the giant green sperm! Ridiculous :)

• 2 weeks later...

I havent seen it posted here yet so just to say a sequel to this book is coming out this year.:D

"Shelly called me late last week to propose an additional hardcover this fall. THIS fall. Yep. Del Rey figured the market could bear one more, and since the Darth Bane novel was a hit, a follow-up, written by Drew, seemed the best idea. So the untitled Feb. 09 hardcover (previously the "Plagueis" novel) has been moved up, and Drew agreed to continue Bane's story. So we're off and running."

―Sue Rostoni on the Bane Sequel[src] December 26, 2007

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I just started to read this book. Within the first nine chapters, I found a mess of grammar issues. Since my sister is a English Professor, I thought I would have her read through a few chapters. I thought I was seeing things, so I called in the troops and heavy armor. I was completely right. His writting level is around the seventh grade. If you pay close attention to his writting, he does not understand how to use F. A. N. B. O. Y. S.. Second he goes on for several lines without any punctuation, which results in run-on sentences. Even though I personally have grammar issues, I have good editors on standby. Someone really needs to hold Del Ray responsible for producing this crap.

Enough of the bashing. After reading through the first nine chapters, I did like the story's direction. I want to find out more about Bane's Sith Trooper experiences. I have never read the comicbooks, so I'm very new to this story. Up until the exitance of KotOR, I didn't know that Bane had existed. I do like Bane's inward struggles, and I hope the writter continues to explore the character's cognitions.

Archived