Home

No Narnia thread? Say what?!

Katarn07

I'm so pumped for this movie and can't believe that with it coming out next week, no one's posted a topic for it. The Chronicles of Narnia are among my favorite books of all time; some of the few I actually own and have read more than once and plan on reading again and again.

Who else is excited? Have you all read the books or do you just think it looks cool or what?

I had head of the book before, but I didn't start reading it untill I heard they were making a movie about it. I have read the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe; the magicians nephew; and am currently reading the horse and his boy. They're really good books, as were the Lord of the Rings books. I'm pretty excited to see the movie. I'm glad they left in the Christian aspects, though that probably won't come without some criticism.

Yeah, the religious overtones were never really that apparent to me in all the books and it actually took me to read some review for them off Amazon when I got my boxset to even realize it was an allegory. :o

Anywho, it's subtle and the reviews all seem to confirm that. The main negative reviews are comparing it to LotR. Well if doing that, of course this movie will suck! But it's not meant to be compared to LotR. They're completely different tales and this one apparently is very true to the book. So my take on it; if you love the book, you'll love the film. The kid's characters, especially Edmund, have changed. But it's really for the better.

Edmund turning against his family for 'Turkish Delight?' Err, I ain't buying it. Instead, they've fleshed out all the characters with a backstory to really make his betrayal more realistic.

Edmund turning against his family for 'Turkish Delight?' Err, I ain't buying it. Instead, they've fleshed out all the characters with a backstory to really make his betrayal more realistic.

But.... it was magic turkish delight... >_>

And I liked that part too. :(

Ugh, the BBC movies were crap. I vaguely recall actors in beaver costumes and a bit of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but not much of either really. I don't think I ever saw the Silver Chair. I saw them ages ago right after I read the books when I was 7 or so. I didn't like them then, I know I'll hate them now.

And the 9 minute preview? Yeah, I saw it. Don't watch it if you've never read the books or whatever, but if you have, go for it! Looked great.

I heard that the earlier Narnia movies were the stupidest movies on earth. Well, not really, there was worse, but I heard that the whole thing with the animals especially was dum.

It isn't my absolute favorite of the books, but I am excited about it coming out, it looks pretty good. As for the Christian things in there, if you know about Jesus and the whole betrayal story and all that it is a bit easier to recognize the parallell between the two. In Narnia, it seems just like the story, it doesn't really make you think of an immediate connection, unless you know a little bit more, as I said.

Have you all read the books or do you just think it looks cool or what?

I've not read the books, but this does look pretty good. I'll probably see it; my little brothers really want to. :D

Having not read the books (nor am I planning on doing so), I'll be able to enjoy the movie without getting all nitpicky about details. :p

Time will tell, eh?

Two new reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. Both further confirm the subtle religious overtones of the tale and that it doesn't detract from it in the least. One of the reviews was thrilled to see that it had remained intact and that the whole movie is true to the book. There are two new scenes that blend right in and as said, the added depth to characters is new and makes it 'better' than the book. Well, we'll see about that! You never know; it could be.

I'm thinking about requesting Friday off from work :cool:

I've been waiting for it since Return of the King. XD I've got all the BBC ones...i tried watching them but end up falling asleep. i've read lion witch and wardrobe, prince caspian, voyage of the dawn treader, and the silver chair. I haven't finished horse and his boy nor magician's nephew. :(

No one's bothered about the religious overtones as such... the fact they've used the same christian viral marketting group that made Passion of Christ such a hit is a bit disturbing though... frankly I read all these books numerous times as a kid and never picked up on ANY religious undertones.

But New Zealand-born Adamson - director of the Shrek films - said resurrection was a common theme in the fantasy genre, citing The Matrix and Star Wars as examples.

"The religious aspect is something the press is more interested in than the world at large," he said.

"When I read the book as a child I accepted it as a pure adventure story."

"When I first read it, it never occurred to me Aslan was anything more than a great lion," agreed producer Mark Johnson.

"Christian themes were very important to CS Lewis and imbued everything he did, but he himself denied any religious implications."

Despite the producer's comments, his film has already received pledges of support from evangelical groups in the US, many of whom say Lewis did create the story as an allegory about the life of Jesus.

"We believe that God will speak the gospel of Jesus Christ through this film," Lon Allison, director of Illinois' Billy Graham Centre, said last month.

Other parties have been less embracing, with author Philip Pullman calling CS Lewis's fiction "racist" and "misogynistic".

"If the Disney corporation wants to market this film as a great Christian story, they'll just have to tell lies about it," he told the Observer.

That said, i always enjoyed the books, but they are far from the classic that LOTR is (though oddly lewis and tolkein became great friends). The trailer looks ok, but they seem to be trying to make it more LOTR than it should be...

..so if the reviews compare it unfavourably to LOTR they only have themselves to blame.

It'll have to go some to be better than the BBC miniserieses.

Well I saw it last night and it was really good, the animals looked really real and the Kids where good there acting as well and the White Witch was great and has some great lines in it the battle was good well made oh and the Beavers where funny, otherwise its as good as the book and worth seeing.

You kind find appernt regloius undertones where ever you look, if you look hard enough. Doesnt mean there real. I wish people would stop thinking of it as a film based on the life of Christ and simply what its is, a very enjoable stroy.

Now i have that out the way (I hate people how find 'hidden' ie non existant. messages in things) I carnt wait to see this film. I would be going today, but im being sophisticated and attending a theater production. So Saturday!

You kind find appernt regloius undertones where ever you look, if you look hard enough. Doesnt mean there real. I wish people would stop thinking of it as a film based on the life of Christ and simply what its is, a very enjoable stroy.

Now i have that out the way (I hate people how find 'hidden' ie non existant. messages in things) I carnt wait to see this film. I would be going today, but im being sophisticated and attending a theater production. So Saturday!

They're there, C.S. Lewis said so. If you look for them that is. He didn't write the story based around that but it just kind of ended up that way. A more specific example would be that he probably wanted to make Aslan a believable god-like figure, so he looked at the traits of God himself and it came out that way. Well, I guess that doesn't really make them "messages" but you get what I mean. Anyways, it doesn't take away from the story and it shouldn't bother anyone.

frankly I read all these books numerous times as a kid and never picked up on ANY religious undertones.

What about in the Horse and His Boy when

Shasta first talks to Aslan and asked who he is and Aslan said "'Myself', said the voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again, 'Myself', loud and clear and gay: and then the third time 'Myself', whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it." (hence the trinity)?

You think that was intended or am I just looking for stuff?

It also depends on what people see as Christian implications. One person might not see anything at all and another person might think of terms like "Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve" to be strong Christian overtones.

Anyhow, i'm going to go see this movie pretty soon.

Archived