Home

No Narnia thread? Say what?!

Katarn07

I think I like it more than LotR. :joy:

The music or the movie? :confused:

As much as I love the Narnia series, I am not at all expecting this to surpass LotR by any means nor try to be it in any way like so many critics think it is. I'm curious to see what the soundtrack is like. Amazon doesn't have track samples yet.

I like the movie more than Lord of the Rings, i didn't say it was better tho. (and i really like LotR) The music is good too, the one music part seemed very odd tho when they were playing hide and seek i was like 'uh wtf?' the rest of the music was good tho. I want the soundtrack. :)

[possible minor spoilers, if there is anyone in the world who doesn't already know the story]

Its not that great a film. Maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Almost the whole thing left me rather underwhealmed. I think this was partly down to the fact that the actual original story isn't anywhere near as good as I remembered it. Its very lightweight and superficial, and doesn't really seem either very epic in scope, or deep enough to fill up a whole movie.

I do remember loving it as a child, so I'm forced to conclude that, unlike LOTR and Harry Potter, tLtWatW is much less of a story that can be enjoyed by adults.

Its also partly down to the fact it was, on the whole, a very uninspired adaption. It didn't have very much in the way of a unique feel to it, and narnia didn't feel half as wonderous and magical as middle earth. The direction was average, the script was average, and the actors playing the kids were average. None of them was bad, but nothing had the spark that (for example) you got from the young HP actors. And the music isn't anything heart pounding, or even memorable like the Howard Shore score for LOTR.

The world of narnia seems very small and empty, and the fact that many of the creatures are animals also helps to make it seem more childish.

There is also a major dramatic flaw in having the good guys (mainly aslan) be so powerful. By the time of the final battle the snow queen already seems to have lost all power and to be outmatched by aslan. Most movies work on having the good guys be weaker than the bad guys. That isnt the fault of the movie makers of course, but a flaw in the original text.

That said, some bits were good. Some of the animals were simply amazing, you kept wondering if they were CGi or real. I'd love to see a documentary on how they did them. Ray winstone as the beaver, rupert everet as the fox and whoever played morgrim the wolf were especially good. Technically i'd guess they surpass even gollum. And there were a lot more of them.

Its true that a lot of the more peripheral creatures (especially in the mass scenes) werent as polished, but they were all still pretty good.

Oddly though, the pysical makeup (monster masks etc..) all looked pretty fake.. some of the worst i've seen for a while.

The end battle was, on the whole, pretty good. Though not up to LOTR standards.

I know several people are down on the BBC dramas, and to be honest I haven't seen them since I was a kid (when i loved them). To me this film came across a lot like a BBC drama, but one where they had had a massive budget and spent it all on a few cgi animals. As such, I can see kids loving it, but I don't think its a better than average film for adults.

I dunno, it was a good film, not great. Mainly the casting let it down. The two oldest children (Peter more so) were annoying and weak. The little girl playing Lucy was superb though. And Alsain? Looks just about spot on, but the voice? and Dawn French as Mrs beaver? I'll have some of the drugs they were on next time please. I did keep seeing bits and thinkning that it was 'only a little' pinched from LotR (Weta doing the majority of the props didnt help that, even though they looked fantastic).

One of the problems with watching an adaptaion of a book you read when young as the charcters are nothing like you imaged them to be (Like the witch looked nothing like i thought she would, but the actor played the part so well!)

But these are little things im picking on, on the whole a film i enjoyed and would recomand it to anyone

Archived