Home

KING KONG!

Darth Groovy

From what i understand the character will tell you or show you when you are running low on ammo, and the screen will do visual effects to tell you when you are running low on health... then you need to hide and rest up for a while.

Its not a new idea, but it seems they have got it right as a lot of reviewers like it and I reckon a lot of FPSs might follow suit. That said, its supposed to be a really enjoyable, very well made, nice looking but fairly simple and short ride... kind of like a movie i guess.. ;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It still baffles me though why Jackson is remaking his favorite movie. Would anyone here wanna remake SW (the original trilogy at least)? I know I wouldn't.

Because few people actually watch the original. I mean, it's a movie everyone knows about, everyone knows the basic plot......but few have actually seen it.

Yep played the PC demo, loved it! Aside from the dull textures, the weather and lighting effects were pretty spectacular. Im still thinking if i should get it though, cause the Kong mission got tedious after a while.

Did you get the standard version or the "HOLY **** THERES A HUGE ****ING APE COMING AT ME!!" version?

haha.

Just saw the movie. quite scary.

Because few people actually watch the original. I mean, it's a movie everyone knows about, everyone knows the basic plot......but few have actually seen it.

Heh... They actually show the original here every second year, but it's either coming on midnight or in the late morning, so nobody's really home to see it. It's a loss how much people diss the old Kong around here

Hmmm. Interesting movie.

Its a bit odd really, its really well done, but seems to be lacking a bit of something.

Its really long, but doesn't feel like it when you are watching it. But when you look back on it you think "not a lot actually happened, how did they make it that long?".

Kong himself is, on the whole, really well done. Maybe it's the "uncanny valley effect" but the only time i really noticed the kong sfx was when they didn't work. When they were working you kind of forgot he was an sfx. (Which i guess is the point, but it kind of reduced the wow factor! Ironic).

A lot of the other sfx are surprisingly poor. The dinosaur chase looks terrible... especially the people. Either they are really badly matted in, or they are cgi versions that don't animate quite right. Also they seemed to have a lot of trouble inserting Naomi Watts correctly.. possibly because of her hair.

The kong vs t-rex fight is insane, but good fun.

Naomi watts is excellent. The others were ok, but i got a bit fed up of jack black by the end. You were probably supposed to, but they did seem to overdo it a bit with his character. Infact a lot of the characters were very stereotypical and some of the scenes were very cheesy.. only saved by the actors.

Overall, I enjoyed it while watching it, but it didn't blow me away. And i have no real desire to see it again. 7.5/10

PS/ its ood to think that in they managed to condense the whole 3 hour movie down to a 3 minute trailer, and still cover all the main points ;)

If you are going to see the movie- sleep through the first 30 minutes. Some amazing cinematography of New York, but otherwise bland and worthless. Jackson tries to establish too much background with minor characters that ,unlike LotR, really don't matter too much.

Naomi Watts is super awesome, but it may just be that I like that sort of style from the 1920's era..

Eh, I dunno. Like I said before, the cinematography was great, I like the whole 1920s era cutshots of the show and stuff, but the background on minor characters who didn't really matter at all kinda made it dull for me. Maybe a bit of editting to make it go faster...

And the boat scene was rather Titanic-esque, I lost interest in them until they got on the island. Then things picked up again. (reaaaaaaally freaky native people O_O)

Not trying to start an argument or anything though. :)

edit- Serenity's not in theaters anymore so I can't go see it gorram it. :p

Dammit, Mike, quit trying to start an argument! :p

Aaaanyway, this movie rocked so much. I liked the whole thing; the setup, the island scenes, everything. I mean this is Peter Jackson behind this thing. Did you expect it to not be in depth? Sure there were plenty of scenes that could have been shortened

the bug attack scene, and the empire state building scene

, but I really enjoyed it too much to care. The natives were especially creepy. Yikes! That really added a great sense for the island, I thought. And the emotion that they manage to convey through Kong is astounding. It's giant Ape for goodness sakes! I shouldn't feel for him so much. :xp: Great movie, and anyone who says otherwise is insane. Insane, I say! :D

Great movie, and anyone who says otherwise is insane. Insane, I say! :D
Yet another totally unnecessary - and inferior to the original - remake. And by good people ... first Wonka and now Kong. ... but it was certainly better than planet of the apes ...

Mike

Archived