Home

Devs Should Go with Canon Endings of the Game

MasterVader

According to several websites such as wikipedia.org and (I believe) starwars.com the official canon ending to both KOTORs was Revan and the Exile were both males and were lightside.

Now if the developers of KOTOR III decide to allow the player to chose if Revan was DS,LS,male,female as well as the Exile I believe it would be to many differences to make a coherent game with a plot that can be followed.

I believe that the player should pick if Revan and Exile were male or female but they should always be kept as going lightside in the previous installments. By doing this it would be much easier to concentrate on other important elements of the game such as story and character development.

I know this might make some people mad but come one. I played through each game as DS,LS,male, and female. Soemone might say "but I went DS as Revan and killed Mission and so on..." but I think everyone played through the game in each way possible. In the end, I think most people would be able to get over their grief about this and just play the game.

By having Revan and Exile go LS, all the old characters should return, perhaps not in your party but as supporting characters or cameos. Even though you could kill Bastila as LS she should still be alive.

Now I am not writing about wat the story should be, who is the PC whether it be Revan,Exile,or new PC, or who should be in your party. All Im saying is that the developers would probably have a much easier time making a great game if they just stated that Revan and Exile went LS. Besides, if they went DS, wouldnt that mean they would serve as a new enemy along with the True Sith (if they are the enemies, i dont know yet). If that were the case it would all be just too confusing.

Whats your ideas.

No, I don't think so. Revan and the Exile don't need to be major characters until the end, and besides, they would likely be their own faction, not connected with the "True Sith" or whatever. There is no need for them to have to change the story if they are either LS or DS or male or female; If they are DS, have them playing a role. If they are LS, have them not be that role and have some bad guy fill the role. If male, Bastila loves Revan. If female, etc. You don't have to really change the game for what they would be.

Besides, you would be alienating the playes who go DS first. I realize what you said, but that is just to not make the game boring, and most DS players always do somethings bad. It would not make the game fun for them, if there was no Dark Lord Revan and the Exile. And what about female Kotor players? Revan and the Exile would be male, instead of female like they made them. No, have you choose them instead of the devs.

I agree with Rob. I personally don't play darkside because for one, I don't have a mean bone in my body when it comes to killing someone for no good reason. However, this suggestion could alienate people who like playing darkside, like my brother though I really doubt he could ever go through it. So I would have to say that the suggestion would not be in the interest of the players though you do make a fine point about wanting to have a good storyline and character development.

I am not saying that the player in KOTOR III cannot play as darkside, the player can chose if their PC is DS,LS,male,or female. I just believe that it would be in the best interest overall to everyone that Revan and Exile were both LS, however, the player can chose if they were male or female. This would allow the developers to concentrate on other aspects of the game, such as the story and new characters.

No, have you choose them instead of the devs.

Nods head in agreement.

I really don't want the devs to tell me what I did in the last game(s). Bastilla being alive in tSL was bad enough, now you're (tOP's) saying they should throw away 1/2 of the choice in the earlier games? No thanx.

I am not saying that the player in KOTOR III cannot play as darkside, the player can chose if their PC is DS,LS,male,or female. I just believe that it would be in the best interest overall to everyone that Revan and Exile were both LS, however, the player can chose if they were male or female.

I never said you did. But it is not in the best interest. It would not take up much time, and it wouldn't necessarily make more time to focus on what "really matters." Look at it this way:

1) It takes away from all the different choices you can make, which is one of KotOR's greatest parts. People wouldn't have any choice over whether the player they played in the last two games were either conquerers or heros. In other words: Why have the option to go DS if it means absolutely nill/zero in the next game?

2) In TSL you could decide that, so why all of a sudden make it so that there is no DS; hence, all the different things that would happen if Revan was DS in TSL was absolutely meaningless and untrue. It would make it seem like a different series or something.

3) People are not going to like it, especially DS people. There are people out there to whom Revan and the Exile are the evilest, most powerful Sith Lords ever. I bet they are pretty anxious to see what a DS Revan and the Exile will do, and how they can interact with them dark sided. Then, going on what you said, they will play the game, and learn what? That big bad Revan and the Exile are now goody-goody Jedi, who they hate.

Not good.

I have mixed feelings about this, to me TSL's greatest flaw is that is basically makes KOTOR pointless, if not even Reven could hold the Sith together then I don't think Malak would have won, he would have overstretched himself and the Sith would have fragmented. So no matter what you do in KOTOR the only things it changes in TSL are Bastila and Carth. You might as well have had a rails game where you just got the option to kill Carth and Bastila and have everything else set in stone.

At least if they pick a side 50% of players can feel they achieved something in the last game. Its bad enough that after all that work in KOTOR the Republic is still tottering five years later. TSL was even more fundimental, if you go DS then there should be no Republic. I'm sorry but the whole "Reven took a holiday" thing sucked. If Reven was really that smart he would have made sure his governement was secure before he left.

I don't see how they can leave it open in K3 without the Republic still being tottering ten years after the last war. At least if they go LS there's some chance of an actual continuation.

^But if Revan and the Exile both saw the "greater evil" beyond the outer rim, then they would have gone out there. And in both game they started with nothing, yet took down or took over control of the Sith, so- why would they worry about "making the government secure", really? They could have just come back and kicked the Sith out of the Republic again. Besides, didn't it say somewhere that Revan wanted the Republic to almost fall because it would strengthen them for what was beyond the outer rim, or something like that?

Hey everyone, I decided to give some other forums here at Lucus forums a try so I decided to come here and see what's up. Btw, im a moderator over at the Empire At War forum.

But to stay on topic, I have to say the whole fun of Kotor was the ability to choose your own path, no matter what Cannon is. Even though I accept that Revan may have followed the light side and was a male, it doesnt mean I have to play that way. In fact the main reason Kotor is a huge success rests upon its multiple endings and you having full control over your own path.

I have to say the whole fun of Kotor was the ability to choose your own path, no matter what Cannon is. Even though I accept that Revan may have followed the light side and was a male, it doesnt mean I have to play that way. In fact the main reason Kotor is a huge success rests upon its multiple endings and you having full control over your own path.

Ditto there. You choose your own destiny.

According to several websites such as wikipedia.org and (I believe) starwars.com the official canon ending to both KOTORs was Revan and the Exile were both males and were lightside.

{Snip}

Whats your ideas.

:eyeraise: That was easily the most awful idea I have ever heard in my entire life. You obviously have a gift for coming up with terrible ideas.

I think the fact they allowed you to choose Revan's alignment and gender in TSL kind of pidgeonholes the series. It would be silly to switch to a set gender/alignment for K3.

In truth, I don't really care whether the devs chose Revan/Exile's alignment (but here's the important part) as long as the story is much better because of it. If the story flows much better with set alignment/gender, then I'm all for it. If it flows better (or setting the alignment/gender doesn't improve the story) with the player choosing Revan/Exile's alignment/gender, then I'm all for it.

I really don't want the devs to tell me what I did in the last game(s). Bastilla being alive in tSL was bad enough, now you're (tOP's) saying they should throw away 1/2 of the choice in the earlier games? No thanx.

Quoted for emphasis! :D(Once again FiEND saves me some typing!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I don't believe the databank has made any indication of there being an actual canon resolution to the Knights series.

And wiki ... isn't the best source for an authorative answer. Of course I also can't find a wiki entry for an actual story ending either.

Anycase, Bad Idea. no cookie.

I am not saying that the player in KOTOR III cannot play as darkside, the player can chose if their PC is DS,LS,male,or female.

I already quoted this earlier, but this is another thought. Along with what I said before, look at it this way: Now, no matter what we did in KotOR I, Revan is LS male, no matter what we did in TSL the Exile is LS male, it doesn't matter that we could set what Revan's alignment/gender was in TSL, that doesn't matter either, it doesn't matter that people would be alive in KotOR I (until the end), then dead in TSL because of setting Revan DS, then alive in KotOR III.

But you say you will still get to be DS/LS male/female for the new PC. Sorry, but that doesn't really make it all better at all- big deal. :xp:

Hmm, I don't believe the databank has made any indication of there being an actual canon resolution to the Knights series.

And wiki ... isn't the best source for an authorative answer. Of course I also can't find a wiki entry for an actual story ending either.

Anycase, Bad Idea. no cookie.

Actually, Revan's alignment and gender have been set in stone at LS Male, but the Exile is still out in the open.

Well, Yes I do realize the LSM Revan being canon.

Now I also hear about Exile being LS, though not sure if its M or F, either way I am leaning towards either LSM Exile, or if LSF Exile, DO IT WITHOUT DESCIPLE!!! God everyone hate that scumball ^**&$#*&$#*#*# (Fill in fifty lines of insults please)

DO IT WITHOUT DESCIPLE!!! God everyone hate that scumball ^**&$#*&$#*#*# (Fill in fifty lines of insults please)

Just a minor nitpick, but I don't hate him. So you shouldn't say "everyone".

Personally, there's not a single character that I "hate". There are some I found less interesting, or not very useful to bring along in my party, but none that I "hated".

Archived